edwardmtb69
Silver
Silver

Oil in flexible air intake pipe

Post by edwardmtb69 »

Hi there all,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate some feedback on a couple of things. Servicing the GTV6 on the weekend i noticed a fair bit of oil in the flexible air intake that runs between the filter and the throttle body. I mean, it didn't drip out but it was accumulated in the ribs. There is a pipe from the oil separator (i think that's its name) mounted on the rocker cover into the air intake which I assume is the source of the oil. Is this normal? I cleaned it out anyway with degreaser.

Also, does anyone have a left hand side mirror spare by some chance...? Mine got wrenched off by some a55hole, breaking the cast alloy mount. The main mirror, electric motor and body is fine, but the metal mount is stuffed. Alternatively can anyone suggest a parts supplier who may have the parts? They seem to be extinct here in Oz.

Ed
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

Hi Edward!

First, welcome to AlfaGTV6.com!

The oil comes via the oil separator, right. It´s oil mist and as it goes colder after leaving the head and it sticks to the intake tube. I´ve wondered about this aswell, but it´s obviously just the way it is! :-/

Seb
Proud member of Team Rauk Race.

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
75 3.0 Race Car "The raukster"
Dave R
Silver
Silver

Post by Dave R »

I had the same problem with my 2.5 Milano.
Do a search for oil catch cans on the net and you'll find that Alfas aren't the only cars with this problem.
I installed an aftermarket oil catch can and believe it is helping somewhat.
But the design of the can could have been better. The inlet and outlet are very close together. Also this particular can has no internal baffles or mesh, which would also help to trap any oil in the air.
edwardmtb69
Silver
Silver

Post by edwardmtb69 »

Thanks for your answers guys - I figured it was probably normal. I guess the idea is that the relatively minute quantities of oil get burnt up when the air picks it up.

Now I've got some wheel questions - over to that forum...

Ed