ChrisS
Gold
Gold

Rebuilt V6 - when to re-torque

Post by ChrisS »

As per the title really. I've seen a range of views on this...so I thought a few more wouldn't go amiss :)

If it helps, I'm keen to do this sooner rather than later...so I can fit the blower and all it's associated gubbins.

I'm also keen to get in there and check/adjust tappets 'cos it's a bit rattly at the moment.

I'm not going to be keen to re-do it once the blower and all it's associated gubbins are installed though. It's a complete ar5e to work on with all that junk in the way.

....let the wisdom flow....
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: Rebuilt V6 - when to re-torque

Post by MR2 Zig »

The book number is a good one for average driving....they are looking for a number of heat cycles so that everything settles in. I spose if you let it get to operating temp and put a little stress in it (tho i'm not sure how) in the garaage say 20 -30 times then you'd be allright. Otherwise drive it to work for a couple weeks.

hth,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
ChrisS
Gold
Gold

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks Zig. I figured it was more about the heat cycles than anything else.

I've already run it to bed the cams, then I went and did the ring seating on-road, and after that, I've managed a couple of short runs (about 15 miles each), leaning on it a bit once it was warm.

I think I'll just suck it up, do the valves this weekend to shut it up a bit then put a few hundred miles on it, with the very short trip to work plus a few odd longer runs out. Weather permitting of course!

I was just being lazy really, trying to avoid having to re-do stuff too many times.....and so very keen to find out how much boost it gives.

You'd think after having to pull the box twice I'd not be bothered about a trivial thing like setting the clearances...and now I type it....I'll stop moaning!
ChrisS
Gold
Gold

Post by ChrisS »

Well, I took the tops off to do the tappets Saturday so did a re-torque anyway, even though it only had about 75 miles and maybe a dozen heat cycles on it - can't hurt. Went for a run out Sunday and put another 150 miles or so on it. Another couple of weeks shuold see it ready for the blower......

I was going to take it to work today, but the snow on the gound put me off. I don't mind the snow as such, it's just that I washed it yesterday and didn't want to get it all cacked up!! Good call - the old 155 is in a right state now, brown sludge all over the poor thing.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Chris I'm a proponent of not trying to outsmart the Alfa engineers so I religously follow their recommendation of re-torquing @ 1200 - 1500 miles.I've done a few of these and so far no failures.I wouldn't rush to "button her up" and be done with her.There's a lot of expansion/contraction going on in that aluminium and I presume that AR had a good reason to spec. that mileage.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Murray wrote:Chris I'm a proponent of not trying to outsmart the Alfa engineers so I religously follow their recommendation of re-torquing @ 1200 - 1500 miles.I've done a few of these and so far no failures.I wouldn't rush to "button her up" and be done with her.There's a lot of expansion/contraction going on in that aluminium and I presume that AR had a good reason to spec. that mileage.
At what mileage was the First Service due according to Alfa?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ChrisS
Gold
Gold

Post by ChrisS »

The 164 owners book says 'First Coupon' which is 1500 miles, the shop manual for the engine says 'about 650 miles'

The owners book also shows that the 'check torque' is only done once.

.....and they reckon tappets only need adjustment every 30000 miles......inlets, perhaps.

I expect I'll be pulling it apart once a year to check & adjust tappets anyway, so will likely do a re-torque every couple of years.

I was thinking I'd aim for about 500 miles (which will be quite a few cycles) before putting the blower on, but like I say, it won't be a fit & forget thing.

I suspect the stated schedule is more to do with convenience somehow. I get the impression it's not super critical, but it would be a mistake to do it early and not revisit it after a good number of heat cycles I reckon.

Keep the thoughts coming - all welcome and appreciated.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Mats the owners manual from 1986 states "Check cylinder head nuts for proper torque" @ 1500 miles.To my mind that doesn't describe a proper re-torque procedure but who knows ? The 1200 - 1500 mile number I referred to above is taken from AR Service bulletin no. 88.03 which was issued after they redesigned the head gaskets (single piece) and had probably rethought the whole process after angering alot of customers with head gasket failures.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER