darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Re: 3.2 V6 - removing the oil filter heat exchanger

Post by darryl longley »

This is the exact same fitting for the oil filter on a gtv6 12v block
Today I have been to a hydraulic engineers shop and have and have been informed that the fitting thread size which goes into the block is 1/2" bsp
Which has a very slight taper
Couldn't find the thread size for the oil filter but that should be easy enough to find
When I find the thread size for the oil filter itself I shall buy two nuts to fit and then try and remove from a 2.5 12vlave gtv6 engine I have then hopefully will be able to remove it
if not ill order a new one from alfa if they are still available
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Quick way to remove: Find a strip of aluminum ~60x 20mm and ~1,5-2mm thick, wrap/bend around fitting and grab with wrench. Wrench digs into alloy which bites hard against the fitting and out it comes, no marks, no damage! Think simple, works every time.

Jim K.
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

I have some ali pressings left over from a shop front I did a couple of weeks ago
Will give it a try tomorrow
The stud with a 21mm nut attached took some leverage so can imagine ill also need copious amounts of elbow grease to
Fingers crossed
darryl longley
Gold
Gold

Post by darryl longley »

The answer was staring me in the face
I removed the stud from the gtv6 engine which came out very easily just a rag and a set if stlilsons
I then removed the stud from the from the original oil cooler adaptor and they were both exactly the same and fitted the 164 block no problem
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

The thread should be 3/4 16 for the 164 24v and the Alfa GTV /75 . Be careful when you screw in new 'stud' it does not go in to far and close off the oil channel inside . Just to clear up confusion from your side it's only on the chain driven oil pump multivalve motors that you have to tap a thread in and these filters are threaded with a 20x1.5 . Make sure you glue the stud in properly ! You probably need a few more threads than the one below .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.37 KiB) Viewed 4350 times