BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Top end rebuild

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

Hey Guys,
So you may have seen some earlier posts about my smoking engine, i believe that it isnt actually the valve seals anymore but worn oil rings on my pistons.
this means i may be considereing a top end rebuild, now i want to know a few things if possible :D
-What do i need to do a basic top end rebuild? (never done this before)
Should i replace all my rings or just the oil rings? (compression is in the 150-160 range if i remember right)
-what else will i need? (valves, valve guides, etc, what else should i get to get that engine top end running perfectly so i can forget about it :D )
Is there a specific procedure? (im nervous about the valves and timing system here.)

Thanks in advance for any help guys :P :lol:
'83 GTV6 stock with Wildcat exhaust system
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Top end rebuild

Post by gtv-racer »

Brake down the engine and take the measurements and you'll see. It's a lot of work but we can't tell from our computerscreens.... :wink:
BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

I was worried youd say that! :(
The problem is im in the netherlands and i can ship parts to my place here pretty quick, but when im in botswana its a 6 month waiting period for things to arrive through south african customs.
And im only there for a few weeks in july before i need to return to the netherlands to continue studying. :roll: :cry:
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Don't take any luggage when you fly to Botswana, use the maximum allowed weight of bagage for your parts. :wink:

Seriously, you need to know the condition of your engine first. Or assume the worst and order everything new...

The difference between a set of 2.5 liners and pistons or just honing and new rings is a few hundred euros...
Drive it like you stole it...
BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

thanks for the reply! yeah, the engine is pretty healthy by seat of the pants dyno :wall: but what ill do then is ask my dad to do a tear down and measure up and then i bring what is neccesary when i go. thas already the case (no clothing or anything) the joys of having a dad who also likes his classics :roll: :lol: