MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Cambelt types for 12v engines

Post by MR2 Zig »

Has anyone tried to put the round tooth cambelt cogs and belt into the earlier engine that came with the square tooth cambelt parts?

I don't have any of the round tooth parts around to compare and I'm sure it would take some looking to find the right length of belt.

Thanks,
zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Cambelt types for 12v engines

Post by Jim K »

You do that and you'll be rebuilding your engine soon. It happened twice to some guys with an Opel engine here until they found someone had used the old style sprocket behind the crank pulley! ...Oh, belt tension was correct! :roll:

Jim K.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

If you want to try that you can use the belt from an alfa 916 3.0 spider. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I'm using it on my V6 Giulietta, changed all the sprockets, no problems at all, also using the new style tensioner.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

MR2 Zig Heed JimK's advice on this one.Mismatched teeth will only lead to grief.
Try Continental they have good belts and pretty thorough database.Up here in Canada you can source these through Napa so likely down there too.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Jim,
I get that you have to have all the toothed cogs matching. What I didn't know was if all the cogs were available or if I was going to have to make one or more (I am a machinist after all).

Thanks for the caution. I built this engine once and I don't want to have to do it again.

zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

MAKE the sprockets? :shock: Why would anyone do that? You can buy them new from Alfa parts or even better they regularly pop up on ebay (usually german ebay).

Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Sometimes European sellers won't deal with US buyers, that's one potential problem. Usually not a problem with well known vendors like OKP, EB Spares, or Harry Schultz. They will ship anywhere as long as you pay for it.

If you can't get it from the mainland, try Autolusso in the UK as they have a lot of junked cars. Maybe they have a 155 V6. That has the new style pulley. I've never had a problem dealing with them. Once you get the new pulleys (2 cam pulleys, 1 oil pump pulley and 1 crank pulley) see if you can sell the conversion service to others.

Cars known to have the new pulley style:
-155 V6
-Last batch of 1996-1997 164 12V Super
-Spider 3.0 V6 12V (this is very rare)

I suspect the 155 is the more common one among these low volume units.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Mister K,
You, Sir, make me laugh! Maybe more so than that upside down bloke.....

75evo,
Thanks for the list! I was mistakenly under the impression that some of these parts ended production with the 164 in about 1994. I was thinking that based on the model....not when Alfa quit sending cars over here. Learned something new today!

Thanks guys!

zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR