75evo
Verde
Verde

24V cam angle sensor

Post by 75evo »

Is the cam angle sensor for the 156 24V different in length than the one form the ones for the 164 24v? I got one from Alfaworkshop and put it in my 164 24V heads and the marker pin on the cam destroyed the plastic portion of the sensor. Or I'm missing a washer which spaces the sensor? Anyway, I've ordered another cam sensor (Hall effect) for a E46 BMW 325i (cheaper) and make sure the cam pin won't destroy it, so I'll have to shim the sensor outwards if necessary. I couldn't find the sensor for the 164 (VR sensor).
75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: 24V cam angle sensor

Post by 75evo »

Finally wired the cam and crank sensors. Cam sensor is from a BMW 325i :D . The 156 sensor was buggered because maybe I didn’t put the seal, which I never found, so the tooth on the cam collided with the sensor. Maybe the casting for the 156 heads are slightly different than the 164 heads. The 164 uses a VR cam sensor, but I couldn’t find any for sale.

Also made a breakout lead for 3 pin Bosch amp plugs, easier to tap into them in case I need to put them on a scope.
LukeC
Silver
Silver

Post by LukeC »

Just stumbled on this and thought I could get some info to help me though a roadblock.

At the pointy end of a 3.2 install to a '86 GTV. Using a Haltec Elite 750. The crank angle sensor I am using is from a 164/twin spark (Am pretty sure they are a reluctor (with a shield). It is already installed so I can't perform a test on it to confirm (as per advised by Haltec and on the web).

The cam angle sensor is from either a 156 V6, 166 or 147 GTA. Not totally sure on that one. Hope is doesn't have issues as above with Evo's car PITA to change although I have a spare.

I have a feeling the Cam sensor is hall effect (going on some research showed BMWs from the same era had used hall effect. Bit confusing since the AMP connector is the same as the crank sensor (just different colour and lead length). My tests have not been conclusive on which type it is and what pins do which.

Searches on the Bosch part numbers do not reveal any information.

Can someone advise on this?
105gta.
Gold
Gold

Post by 105gta. »

Hi LukeC yes the cam sensor is a hall sensor on the 24v engines and reluctor type for the crank sensor
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

If the engine is from a 147/156/166/GTV, no problem. Definitely a Hall effect sensor. But if it was from a 164 24v, it would be a VR sensor so you need to swap it out.

BMW used VR cam sensor for the early E34/E36s. But before the E46 came out, they switched to Hall cam sensor. Hall sensors are cheap too.
LukeC
Silver
Silver

Post by LukeC »

Thanks heaps. Got it cranking over today, so will double check the polarity of a Crank sensor wiring.

Will be awesome to hear it running after 2 1/2 years of collecting bits.

I should start a new thread of my own to show the car.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

BTW, what ignition setup are you using?
LukeC
Silver
Silver

Post by LukeC »

The original Bosch coils with the Haltec igniter. Any comments or advice?