zambon
Verde
Verde

head gasket spacers

Post by zambon »

I have read that the way to raise compression on a budget is to machine 1mm off the bottom of the heads. So, I am wondering if it works to do the opposite? Machine a spacer out of steel, stick the thing in there and lower compression. I know that this would invite head gasket problems. Maybe a guy would have to sandwich the spacer in copper gaskets...or make the whole thing out of copper?
Could get expensive, but if it worked changing compression would be as easy as changing a head gasket. And still would be cheaper than a set of new pistons. It would allow a person to try different things with their engine without selling the daily driver for capital 8)

If it works without creating all sorts of problems, that is.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

I think you will find doing it this way will turn out to be the expensive way in the long run....I do know of turbo engines with thicker gaskets that work extremely well.A lot of (heh heh-Jim??)Japanese big time tuners like HKS and Greddy supply different thickness steel shim gaskets...Lets face it..No Italian can beat the technology from the Japs.....(Can `o worms-stirring.....)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Engine

Post by MD »

I looked into those can of worms and guess what I saw.

A bunch of white coated Honda engineers at their own plant walking around the factory floor to examine piece by piece the latest Ferrari to see what makes it tick. (True Story)

Any prick can be an engineer when someone shows you how.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I am working on thicker headgaskets right now, however there are some problems/limitations. First of all the timing best barely fit as it is. Raise the heads up a mm and it gets really really hard to change the timing belt. Then there is the issue of cam timing and of course the roll pin in the block creates some limitations.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

MD,Yes,I have heard of this mythical tale....Lets face it,if Alfa had a good replacement for the existing engine I dont think they would have gone for the Holden v6..Although everything is dictated by beancounters nowadays........did I touch a raw nerve here??Relax,Im still all for these tempremental crappy cars we all love so much....

Greg,belts are not a problem,we have been using longer rods that dictate deck spacers of 10mm plus for years.....Belts that are longer are freely available...What does take pain with much thicker deck spacers are the rubber pipes connecting heads to thermo housing...but im sure this wont a ffect you at this stage.....What materials are you looking at??I would understand a non-reply here....
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Engine

Post by MD »

Hi Baz,

Mate I never have a problem with anyone speaking their opinion as it is the only way we bring some level of debate into forums like this and that is always a good thing. Civility being the key along the way.
I do get a nasty dose of the weird smelly stuff that runs down the inside leg of my trousers when somebody has a direct crack at me personally. All they do inflame people and then everyone loses the plot.
In the main all the guys using this forum seem to have the balance right and I have no problem with anyone. Matter of fact, I quite like your crazy sense of humour and you would do really well in Oz as we have great fondness for irreverant larrikins like you. We even exported one to make movies in the States. His name is Paul Hogan -Croccodile Dundee ? Anyhow we are rambling.

Just want to say, I admire the Japs for refining ideas cause they are great at that but the world has yet to find more creative minds than the Italians and the Germans. That's not to say everybody else knows stuff all-not at all. It's just that these two countries to me cause reactions elswhere in an effort to catchup.
Who had the greatest number of world rally championships in succession- Lancia- Italy
Who has had the greatest number of Formula one wins-Ferrari- Italy
Who is creaming them in the superbikes - Ducati- Italy
Who stuck it to 'em at the DTM against all makes-Alfa-Italy

Am I making a point here?

Yes the door knobs fall off and the wiring loom sucks and the bloody airconditioner is shit and it sometimes gets rusty sooner than other makes but have you ever not driven an Alfa and say to yourself, Geez, this car is alive? It has a personality that says I want to be driven and driven hard and it will talk to you with every noise and movement as if you and it were one like a living horse and rider?

I have driven over a million kilmetres but no car other than an Alfa has ever done that for me. When the japs can do that, I will get in the que but if and when they do, what's the bet they would have employed an Italian as their head engineer.

Believe me I know where you are coming from and understand too that deep down your sentiments echo mine.

...sheit another Ben Hur novel. I gotta learn to save ink.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

My old rust bucket is the only car in the world that makes me feel Im doing 200 km/h at the national speed limit of 120.....Probably got to do with all the little traits .....wouldnt trade it for anything......Well,maybe a gtr........

Do you remember the formula 1 days when nothing beat Honda turbo for 10 years???Man,those were depressing times........scuse me,Im going to jump off the stool quickly...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Barry I am PMing you.