Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Gotech installation on 3.0L GTV6

Post by Andy Happel »

I am finally getting around to installing my Gotech Pro system on my 3.0L GTV6. I say finally as I bought the system two years ago! Unfortunately life sometimes gets in the way of car projects. Details are 3.0L 12V from 164L, S pistons, GTA cams, GTV6 intake and plenum, Ansa headers.

I purchased the Gotech Pro, coil pack and cams from JJ. I plan to fabricate my own air intake tube, and completely replace all the original Bosch stuff including wiring harness and distributor. My preliminary investigation has raised a few questions:

Plug wires: what have other done to mate up to the VR6 coil pack? I have looked for wire ends but cannot locate ones that match the coil pack as VW seems to have used a fairly unique design.

Fuel injector wiring: The manual that came with my system does not indicate how to connect the wiring harness to the fuel injectors. I downloaded a current manual from the Gotech website which was better, but still not conclusive. My system came with three pairs of color coded wires. the colors match the current manual which says:

Brown/Orange = cyl 1 and 6
Brown/Red = cyl 2 and 5
Blue/White = cyl 3 and 4

My question is which connection goes where? i.e. I have two brown/orange connections, so which goes to cyl 1 and which goes to cyl 6? Surely it must matter, right?

Also, does anyone have a map they believe would match up to my configuration? I have looked at the download thread, but not all engine specs were listed, so I am unsure which would be best to start with.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S
AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Re: Gotech installation on 3.0L GTV6

Post by AlfaAnthony »

Re the plug wires. I have a Gotech standard that I bought frim JJ. Bottom line is It don't matter! JJ explained the reasoning to me a couple of years ago but I didn't understand it then and don't remember now! All I know is my Verde has been running fine for almost 2 years!

Tony Brucia
Long Island, NY
Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Post by Andy Happel »

Just to be clear, I am talking about the wiring to the fuel injectors. Are you saying it doesn't matter whether the cyl 1 and cyl 6 are reversed?

Thanks,
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S
AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaAnthony »

Thats what I'm saying! Check with JJ, if you want!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

If you struggling contact gotech directly and ask for Paul or Domingoes. They have just finished putting Pro ex in my GTV. With there base map it started and idled on first crank. www.gotech.co.za . This is the third system they have done for me and absolutely no problems. Start dynoing tomorrow.
Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Post by Andy Happel »

Ok, very good. Thanks for clearing that up. I actually tried to contact both JJ and Gotech but didn't get a response from either.

Thanks for your help!
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Andy, have you got any response yet . It is an Easter break here and I know the main chaps only get back on Monday. But as I am going there to drop off my cold start valve tomorrow i will inquire as they are still three chaps that can sort any problem out. Send me your email address.
Nothing worse that not getting assistance thats why I dumped my very expensive Haltec on the 3.7 so I could get on the spot assistance like every time i change my plenum or exhaust design. Also if I can now swap engines between the three cars much easier as I can just chainge maps. It happens day before race their is problem and suddenly need donour engine.
I do know that harnesses that go to Germany and USA are different in power and earth as Ger uses brown and black while US uses red and black. And thats about all I want to know.
4agedub
Silver
Silver

Post by 4agedub »

Hi

The injectors will be coupled up as follows:
Injector 1-5 phase 1 Brown/Orange
Injector 3-4 phase 2 Brown/Red
Injector 2-6 phase 3 Blue/White

For the coils you will use:
plug 1-5 phase 1 black/white
plug 3-4 phase 2 red/white
plug 2-6 phase 3 white/green

If you are using vr6 coils with built in ignitors the ecu must be set to external fire in the f5 screen. If the ignitors have been bolted off, then the ecu must be in internal fire. If this setting is wrong you WILL damage the coil and the ecu.

Hope this helps.
Louis
Gotech fuel injection systems
South Africa
Tel: +2711 3978197
Email: louis@gotech.co.za
Loose Wire
Silver
Silver

Post by Loose Wire »

Give Domingos (developer and brians) of the Gotech system a call. Their details can be found on www.gotech.co.za
Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Post by Andy Happel »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I have all the Gotech stuff hooked up right. I was going to attempt to start it for the first time today, but I have something not right with the wiring to my starter and fuel pump. I will get the starter sorted out, however I do have a question about the fuel pump wiring. I could run it off the ignition switch, but I noticed the Gotech has an output labeled as "shift light or fuel pump". This is what I currently have triggering my fuel pump relay. Is this correct? If so, when would the Gotech turn on this output and kick the fuel pump on?

Thanks,
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S
Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Post by Andy Happel »

Update:

I spent some time on the phone with JJ and he walked me through the basics of the system. We found some settings that were pretty out of whack so he helped me get the settings reasonably close. Cranked it over and it started right up! It is running very rough, but it is running! Now I need to get it tuned better. If anyone has a map they think would be suitable for my set up, please let me know. It might save me some tuning time. My specs are listed in the first post of this thread.

Now I have to get my tach working and install an air/fuel meter so I can start tuning. Anyone have a recommendation for A/F meter?

Thx,
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi Andy:

FYI, my stock tach works ok using the RPM Output pin 6 on the 16 pin connector.
I had thought I'd need an amplifier, but apparently do not.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Post by Andy Happel »

Hooked up the tach last night to Gotech output and it seems to be working. Thanks for the tip.

btw, what engine set up are you running? I was wondering if you had a map yo might want to share?

Thanks,
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi Andy:

It is this one:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1088
164LS 24v engine.

The map I am using is from Chuck - posted in the map collection in this forum :)

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
Andy Happel
Silver
Silver

Post by Andy Happel »

I installed my new A/F wide band sensor and gauge last night and tried to start tuning my car. I don't think the gauge is working right as it was showing max on the high side (18+) no matter what I did. Eventually I gave up trying that and downloaded a map from the forum list. It was the 156 GTA map. It actually worked pretty well. I haven't got to drive it yet, but I'll try it this weekend. Oddly enough, my A/F meter was still showing max even though it seemed to run well. Hmmm. More investigation on that is needed.
Andy Happel
84 GTV6 3.0L
03 Suzuki SV650S