junglejustice
Verde
Verde

New GoTech Install Completed;

Post by junglejustice »

OK, so I spent some time with a GoTech Standard install in my otherwise stock Milano Verde 3.0 12 valve L-Jet this past week.

I cried, I laughed, I scratched my knuckles up, drank lots of beer, but finally it’s in and it works too! (I was actually porting the heads, had the injectors reconditioned, replaced their fuel feed lines, replaced all of the vacuum hoses with Greg Gordon’s stuff, installed the 50mm intake runners and enlarged intake manifold simultaneously, so this took considerably more time…)

It started right up though! (The actual ritual of plugging the GoTech in and starting it up on another car - standing next to it with the hood open and wires dangling - will only take me about 7 minutes now as I know EXACTELY what goes where...)

NOT to beat up some of the other systems/modifications/conversions out there or anything, but this was just TOO easy!

In fact, the map that Domingo loaded on there for me in South Africa was pretty darn close (considering that he was shooting in the dark) with regard to the differences in vehicle model setup, fuel, altitude, climate, engine specs etc.

The map is probably still a bit rich (I can smell fuel at idle) and certainly still low on power, but we are not too far off. (Keep in mind that I have not done ANY mapping on it yet...) The next step would be to hook up my nifty new Innovate Motorsport LM1 Air/Fuel-Ratio Meter and to take it on the road for final mapping. At the end of the day I will also be doing some dyno fine-tuning.

The thing compensates and fires at a tap of the key, revs and idles smooth... (Good news for Sam and Jes as you guys have the exact same maps loaded on the boxes that you just obtained…)

Jes and I are running GoTech Pro units on the 3.7s but I am less concerned with those for right now as they were started and ran with those boxes in SA before shipping...

I am starting this thread for the specific purpose of those who are bound to have questions on the install of a unit purchased as a stand-alone and installed on a non-Glenwood built engine, so that we can share maps, give support/advice etc...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Great, I am happy to hear that! I have ordered parts to build my own intake and mount a Air Intake Temp sensor. Did you still leave the CSI plugged in to the old L-Jet Box?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

JJ,

Doesn't the MFI have cold start enrichement?
Plastic Pig
Silver
Silver

Post by Plastic Pig »

You might be interested to know that you can also get help from a forum the Gotech web site:
http://www.gotech.co.za/forum/
Bill Smith
2000 GTV, GTV6 3.5, 75 3.0 V6, GTV 3.0 V6 24V
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

The GT does have cold-start enrichment... You can pull the CSI wire and just leave the injector in there to plug the vacuum hole...

I cut my harness open on the driver-side and pulled the water temp sensor cable as well as the old dizzy connector from upfront out, all of the injector cables out, as well as the AFM cable and a few others all the way back to the firewall, cut and tape off.

Leaving the AFM plugged in with the door propped open was a temporary fix to drive back to the shop...

Removing the AFM and jumping the pins on the AFM harness plug is still only a temp solution...

Eventually I will remove the stock ECU and harness (still need to jump to the fuel pump first) - still running the jumper on pin 39...

The GT harness comes with an air temp sensor... (I just made a small hole in one of Greg's hose connectors (the one between the filter and the steel pipe with the vacuum ports on it) and shoved its little tip in tight through there...

Thanks, I am aware of the GT forum - not very active - and I am trying to bring that activity/knowledge here because many here use that system....
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

JJ, Thanks for bringing it here, makes web surfing easier for me. I was thinking about the Fuel Pump and one of the extra/aux input/output on GT, would it be possible to trigger the fuel pump when rpm's are above say 25-50 rpm's (not sure how fast the starter motor turns the engine), that way we could have the key on without having the fp run. Can you program the aux like this?
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

I think that it will work....

BTW, Michael was nice enough to agree to give us our very own GoTech header (similar to the Megasquirt forum here...)

That'll be up soon, but we can keep posting here and he will transfer it for us!

Thanks so much Michael!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Also, the starter cranks the motor around 225 to 315 rpm according to my laptop reading from the GoTech ECU... The oil-pressure sensor is a good place I think.

Spent some time on the dyno yesterday and a lot of time driving with the laptop in the car like some ricer-wannabe, but I learned a great deal....

It gets to be easy fast, but there are pitfalls.

Still no replies from the GoTech forum, so it is not very active at all!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

I have a better 3.0 map to share with you guys when you need it...

I will also be bringing 5 or 6 more units back with me from this trip next week... (Back around the 20th of May...)
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

How modified is your 3.0 liter? I have all the parts to build my intake for my 2.5 except the Air temp sensor, bit it is in the mail, when i get it finished I will submit pics, then I can start thinking about actually installing it.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Sam,

My 3.0 has stock 105K mile internals, custom headers (looks like Shankles) pretty open from there on back and then the 50mm intake plenum and runners.

That's it. AFM is gone. Running GoTech. That's it!

You have a tail on your harness from Domingo with an air temp sensor on it already...