junglejustice
Verde
Verde

GoTech Install Success Stories;

Post by junglejustice »

Well, we'll start here!

Mine should have been/could have been really fast, had I not been inflicted with the dreadful "well, while I'm in here" disease.... I ended up doing injector reconditioning, larger 50mm inatake runners and 50mm intake plenum, porting, vacuum hoses etc etc and it took me quite a bit more time!

Also, once it fired, I could have saved myself a great deal of time had I done some tinkering with a mock-map installed and the good map saved - just to learn how to manipulate the values...

Rather, monkey-boy over here would hit buttons to see what happens (thinking that it could all be undone...) Well, when you make changes to the fuel and timing, you are doing so in real-time!!!

Any way, 2 dyno hours later (which I would have had to spend any way, the way I see it) it's all good now...!

It really was quite simple. I would love to hear other stories and issues; I think that there are others here who could benefit greatly from our experience!
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
ar4me
Verde
Verde

GoTech running my verde

Post by ar4me »

I took my, now, GoTech-powered verde for its maiden voyage tonight :D

Unlike JJ I don't have any wrenches stock in the AFM to run the fuel pump - hehe... I have a relay triggering (on ignition) fused power for the fuel pump (using the original fused power for the fuel pump from L-Jet). The power for the ECU was even better, as I could use the fused and relayed power for the L-Jet ECU. The old L-Jet harness is completely disconnected, though still hanging around the engine bay. Most L-Jet EMS components are out of the car too.

When everything is cleaned up I will post a thread on the install. It really is simple to install GoTech. It took me some time as I changed to Greg's stage2 high impedance injectors, different runners, and Greg's vacuum hose kit and air intake kit at the same time. Also I spent time studying wiring diagrams of the milano to get a clean interface using the similar stock power supplies.

The car still needs tuning, but it is running. The most tricky part was to get the distributor set at a point where the car would start. As JJ suggested I got Judy to crank while I moved the distributor around. Once we got it started I would rev it and gradually find the distributor setting where it would idle smoothly. With this rough setting I can set the distributor with a timing light at idle and fine tune with GoTech from there.

More later.

Jes

Thanks to JJ, Stewart Jr, and Judy for suggestions and help.
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Hey! Glad it worked...

(...and by the way, that number 13 wrench stuck in the trap-door of the dangling AFM unit temporarily plugged in - mechanical solution to an electronic problem - was VERY temp. to get me to a meeting...!!!)

It's all gone now, but I still have to go the relay route. I too am RID of the L-Jet stuff, restrictive intake setup, AFM and the stock ECU!

Next step:

GoTech Pro firing 6 individual coil-packs and dumping the "dumb" stock distributor unit - the last of the Bosch stuff to go... Direct-fire coil packs and 164 60 minus 2 timing ring-gear, pressed over my stock crank pulley with a 164 crank-angle sensor connected to the GoTech...

Can you say smooth...?
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

After I have played with this setup for a while you can count me in on a Pro with coil packs :) Dawie/Domingo use stock VW coil packs, right?

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

great for you two, I guess I am dragging my feet, I need some injectors, I guess I will call Greg and get soem on the way... AR4me, can you send me some detail on how you hooked up your Fuel Pump relay?
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I trigger the relay by the green-black wire that used to go to the coil (bundled with the white tach wire). I use the fused power from the L-Jet (of fuse 20) as power being triggered by the relay - that is the red wire in the 5-6 wire bundle coming out through the firewall (branching off a bigger bundle - this is off recollection...) above where the old L-jet ECU harness goes through. The 5-6 wire bundle also contains the ECU fused and relayed power for the L-jet ECU (now used for GoTech) - the pink-black wire. The power back to the fuel pump, output of the relay, is also present in that same 5-6 wire bundle - the pink-white. I mounted the relay in the exact same place as the old double L-jet relay at the firewall.

Note that this is on my verde! Your gtv6 may be different!

At some point I'm planning on adding an inertia switch, I think it is called, to the power for the fuel pump so that it switches off in case of an accident.

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I have decided to put GoTech on my project verde, I have talked to Greg about the injectors, so I will have thos eon the way. Did you not use the double relay? I forget what the other side is for that... Is the power to the L-Jet ECU already fused? I will take a look at my harness today and see if I can follow what you did, hopefully I can...
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

The L-jet double relay is gone! I use an ordinary Bosch relay (mounted in place of the L-jet double realy) for the fuel pump - power to be relayed on pin 30, power out to fuel pump on pin 87, and the green-black and ground to trigger.

Of topic: Did you ever get a chance to check for those sensors?

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

What Sensors? The Ait Intake Temp sensor? I got one from Summit Racinf for $50, But I still need to get the right eletrical connector for it, and connect it to the intake I am building.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

The GoTech harness has an air intake sensor on it! Look at the tails and you should find it. As JJ did, I just made a 1-2 mm diameter hole in the silicone coupler from Greg and stuck it in there. I then applied some clear silicone around it to seal it up. Besides the relay, some wire, and the AFM-less intake you shouldn't need anything to hook it up.

Last night I adjusted my timing to 8 degress at idle after warming it up. It runs pretty well. I drove around a bit (15 min) with the laptop hooked up and modified the fuel map some to further smooth things out. I'm pretty pleased with the progress. Pretty simple to tune. Of course, fine tuning will take dyno time, but a good starting point can be achieved this way. However, before any dyno time I will close the loop with the O2 sensor. Though, before that, I will tune the open loop some more.

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I swear I looked, but I did not see it, I will look again tonight, if so, I guess I have a spare....
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

It is tiny - not any thicker than the wire sleeve it sticks out of. Though, you should see the tip, which is different from just wires sticking out (as on some of the other tails).

So, your harness has the 6 bosch style connectors for the injectors, and another connector for the water temp?

Jes
Last edited by ar4me on Thu May 05, 2005 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

In Frankfurt now...

Yes, Jes, we can use VW VR6 coilpacks or Mitsubishi 3000 GT set... I believe that there are also some Audi and Volve units used, but I intend on finding out as soon as I get to SA...

BTW It sounds like Sam is also in for a PRO w/coilpacks for one of his projects...

Michael Harris found some brand new VR6 units for 240 dollars...
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

With coilpacks are you going to use 2 ignition output signals from PRO and run wasted spark?
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Update:

Pulled out the L-jet engine harness in one piece tonight. I wanted to pull it one piece without cutting it up so that it potentially can be re-used. I had to create a new 3-wire connection for the thermostat housing with ground, orange-black and brown. The latter two for the temp gauge and temp warning light. I terminated the ground at the same place as the original (at the passenger side valve cover). The two temp wires connect to the same 5-6 wire bundle where the fuel pump power, ECU power, etc are connected. I put the 3 wires in a wire skin to make it look stock.

The install is now complete and cleaned up. Car is running well, but tuning remains. That's next along with getting the distributor back to a more "normal" position while compensating in GoTech for status quo.

Jes