junglejustice
Verde
Verde

High Impedance Injectors or Low Impedance Injectors?

Post by junglejustice »

Probably should cover this under the Stock Bosch section but it kind-of pertains to GoTech...

Any ways...

One thing; Domingo swears that one HAS TO HAVE high impedance injectors to run off of a base "Standard" GoTech box... (He built it and I believe him.) The GoTech Pro will run low impedance injectors…

By the same token; Greg Gordon who certainly knows his sheit and who sells high-and low-impedance injectors and all sorts of high-flow injectors, swears that no US model Milanos or GTV6 (2.5 or 3.0) came with high impedance injectors!

Well, my car runs great! Domingo says no way – I have H I Is in there, or it won’t be running right now…! You HAVE TO HAVE high impedance injectors he says. Greg did mention that there MAY have been some late-late model (like ’89) Verdes that MAYBE had H I Is…

GTV6 were all L I Is…?

Any way, what’s the verdict here?

My Verde is an ‘88 with original engine, but from Canada – could that be the difference? Don’t think so…

Did the 90/91 and on 164 12 valvers have H I Is and by extension, so would a GTV6 or Milano with a retrofitted 164 3.0 motor then…?

What gives?

Michael Harris swears that even his 3.0 12 valve from a 164 came with L I Is and to run his Megasqueez he had to have some other box with it!? Domingo confirms that in order to run L I Is with a Standard GoTech, they first have to do some add-on…!?
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

yep jj, the only this i can think of is ALL L-jet is def LI (afaik).

you may have swapped out of a motronic 3.0 164? in that case, they're most likely HI I.

The add on you refer to is a flyback board... it handles the extra current sent back from the injectors to save the board from meltdown... it's quite possible to run LI injectors from a board designed for HI, but dont expect a long and happy life with it...

throw in some kind of fly-back and you should be happy.
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

i know european and aussie alfas copped a motronic edition of the 75/milano, the potenziata.

maybe canada did too, and u drew lucky? was it l-jet or motronic?
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

...no, it's an L-Jet car... This is a stock Verde - not a 164 motor swap... I did not (nor did the previous owner whom I know well) change out the injectors...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

JJ, Do I need to wait on this to be resolved? I can pick up some BMW or VW injectors from the Junkyard if I have a model number and year, or I can look for a 164 fuel rail, or I can bite the bullet and order some new ones from Greg. I am doing this to a slightly warmed over 2.5, probably need smaller injectors than what the 164 has? Any way, keep me posted!
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

honestly, if you are converting a gtv6, your injectors are 20+yo, you are much better off getting gregs HI units of course.

other than that, def fit a flyback board to an ecu designed for HI injectors when running low ohm injectors.. thats a given.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

That's what I decided to do. I got Greg's stage 2 high impedance injectors since standard GoTech apparently prefers high impedance injectors. Last night I put in the runners (slightly increased internal) and the fuel rail with the new injectors. I also spent some time studying and deciding how to power things with GoTech instead of L-Jet - will be using one relay for ECU power, and one relay for fuel pump, both activated by the ignition switch. But, with only 1-2 hour available in the evening I didn't get too far. I hope to finish the install and report soon.

I also had the ECU apart to verify the setting for the alternative output. The jumper is between pin 1 and 6, meaning that the alternative output, blue-white, is set up for direct firing of the coil from the ECU. This is consistent with JJ's hook-up. I was just curious...

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

how can i know if my autodelta stage 3 injectors are high impedence or low? maybe someone knows off hand what they are... {meanwhile track day is the 8th and i have two alfas (one in pieces for a clutch job, torsion bar upgrade, and wilwood rear brake conversion and the other that just doesnt want to start!) sheist}
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

Sporttunergtv6 wrote:how can i know if my autodelta stage 3 injectors are high impedence or low? maybe someone knows off hand what they are... {meanwhile track day is the 8th and i have two alfas (one in pieces for a clutch job, torsion bar upgrade, and wilwood rear brake conversion and the other that just doesnt want to start!) sheist}
autodelta huh? i have no idea.. if it was an upgrade for the l-jet its probably low.. best bet is to measure them, you should definately have a digital multimeter if you own an alfa !!!

i wrote b/c i'm interested in your wilwood rears.. do they still have handbrake access? anyone know an aftermarket caliper that accepts the handbrake cable for parking?

cheers,

joe
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The Autodelta type injectors (clones of the BMW M535i injectors) are low resistance. That's so they can be compatible with L-Jetronic.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

so i would have to use the gotech pro if i wanted to use these injectors still? if i go gotech pro then do i still need that fly back board? sounds like things will get a little complicated.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

If you go with GoTech Pro, you should ditch the milano/gtv6 coil+distributor and use coil packs fired by the Pro unit.

I believe the Pro can handle both high and low impedance injectors - programmable.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Another reason to go to Pro on the GTV6 since RC Eng already did my injectors on it. Would a coil pack for any 6 cycl work on the GTV6 with GT Pro?
4agedub
Silver
Silver

Post by 4agedub »

Hi SamW
Yes you can use a universal six pack coil pack with the Gotech Pro. I'm not too familiar with the afla engines, but if the engine has got a 60 -2 input then it should be ok.

On thie injectors side you would be able to run six low ohm (lowest 2ohm) injectors with the Gotech MFI Pro ecu. There is three injector outputs on the ecu for a six cylinder's injectors.

The v4 upwards Gotech MFI Pro is capable of direct fire with coil packs. If you're using coil per cylinder external coil drivers will be required.