ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

All I have to the coil is visible in one of the pics. Basically the two wires from the GoTech harness, and then the white wire for the tach.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Should the 12v "+" be from a source other than GoTech? A switched 12v wire?
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I have the car leaned out so much (14.7 AFR when warmed up) that it does not like free reving when stone cold (the first 20 sec, or so). Basically too lean, and it will "choke" if the throttle is applied, though it idles fine. I suppose I can play some more with the enrichment as function of coolant temp to perfect that. Alternatively, I could play some more with the map, but I'm reluctant to do that as it is fine when warmed up.

I feel that the tuning primarily based on AFR (from the WBO2) has left the car slightly less smooth in some areas compared to my seats-of-the-pants initial tuning (for perceived power and smoothness). Occasionally I can get a little bit of uneveness when I get off the throttle on a mild decent and then touch the gas ever so slightly. Basically, at the very low-load end of the map.

Chasing the perfect map appears to be a never ending process...

Jes
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Sam,

If you look at the picture of the coil, a bit further up in the thread, you can see that both come from the GoTech harness - the tail with the blue-white (optional output), red, and not used white-green wires. At the very left of the pic (named coil.jpg) you can see that they go into the same sleeve.

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Jes,

Which GoTech are you using? This is from the New GT manual for the pro, but I think it explains what I am trying to ask, I am not trying to argue, just want some clarification.

It is showing the GoTech wire for the negative side, but a standard 12v + for the positive side. I thought the 12v"+" on the gotech harness was to supply the ecu with power, not a 12v output wire?

Thanks!
Attachments
Coil Connection.jpg
Coil Connection.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 10990 times
Coil Connection.jpg
Coil Connection.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 10992 times
Coil Connection.doc
Coil Connection.doc (38 KiB) Viewed 10985 times
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Sam,

The Standard.

Keep in mind that the GoTech harness you have can "re-route" wires in many ways, e.g. it may "re-distribute" the ground to where ever needed. I'm not saying it does, but suggesting that it may. Basically, I think that in providing a harness, they make the hook-up simple. So, the tail for the coil already has all wires. Well, at least my harness does. That's the beauty of getting a custom harness, ready to go. Of course, you can also trace everything by studying the plug, its interface with the harness, and the pin "code" for the STANDARD GoTech. I actually did that initially to get my bearings.

As for the power for the ECU, I believe there is a tail with a red and a black wire, those are the power (+12v and ground) for the GoTech ECU.

Jes
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

My next thing will be to add a TPS, probably from a 944 Turbo as suggested multiple places. My intention is to try improve the slight hesitation you can get with only a MAP sensor. I understand that future chips may be able to run the accelerator pump also on the MAP sensor alone. Though, the slight hesitation is most noticeable when free reving, where you can really change "things" fast. In regular driving I have not noticed it, except from seeing that temporarily the AFR could run a bit lean during a fast transition (from when I had the WBO2 and the accurate AFR meter hooked up).

Jes
aggarcia
Silver
Silver

Post by aggarcia »

I have jsut ordered a 944 TPS. I wolud think the transitions in throttle should be better reflected by a TPS over a MAP. I will find out tonight.

AG
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

And, you can set up the accelerator pump with the TPS! You can maybe run half'n'half TPS and MAP. Though, I can imagine that you may need to retune the map somewhat as the load may change when you also consider TPS and not only MAP.

Anyway, intuitively, you should have less delay with the TPS and therefore better throttle transition, as you said.

Our 3.7s run TPS only - no place for a vacuum port (for the MAP) as the 6 individual throttle bodies sit down in the "V".

Jes
Milanoverde
Silver
Silver

inlet runners

Post by Milanoverde »

I saw your postings. I am doing basically the exact same thing to my Verde. Question, did you enlarge the intake ports in the head to mate up better with the oversize runners? JJ is suggesting I do same. Also, how did you handle gasket
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Old thread - engine long gone. Didn't touch ports. Not sure what you mean by "oversized" but runners were stock runners, slightly enlarged. So stock runner gaskets were perfectly fine.
Jes