nicke
Silver
Silver

Project Gunieapig...

Post by nicke »

I know this is not for a transaxle car... But it is an Alfa. I just got throttle bodies and a GoTech computer for a '69 105.

So far all is well (the engine is still beeing built so this is all hypotetical) but the Dizzy seem to be the biggest puzzle...

1. The L-Jet Dizzy for the 6cyl cars is apperantly all working well with the GoTech ECU.

2. The L-Jet Dizzy for the 4cyl cars (here in the US, Spiders) are from what I understand no good... Last night I looked at a wiring diagram for 4cyl L-Jet and there are 2 wires coming out of that Dizzy one for the Tach and one for the ECU, but the TDC and or Revs is suposedly coming out of the crank sensor... I'm confused. There's some kind of magnetic thingamabob... I'll borrow a Spider dizzy tomorrow and do some more research...

3. The L-Jet for Fiat Spyders take RPM and TDC from the Dizzy... More confusion.

4. As it seems the best solution for the Dizzy/GoTech interface seem to be someting with a Hall Sensor. My current plan is to Frankenstein the guts of a Golf dizzy with a Hall Sensor with a 80's Spider dizzy. Anoyone have any other brilliant ideas. Any help is welcome!

5. I really don't feel like putting a late model 2L fly wheel on my '69 1750, and I could always add a 164 sensor on the old flywheel, or rig something on the harmonic balancer in the front, but the Dizzy seem like a more elegant solution, especially as I just sent out the Crank, Rods and pistons to be balanced...

This is too much fun!

Cheers, Nick
Attachments
TB_Kit.jpg
TB_Kit.jpg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 14045 times
TB_Kit.jpg
TB_Kit.jpg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 14043 times
4agedub
Silver
Silver

Post by 4agedub »

Ok I see that you're going to run with the std Gotech MFI v4.

You need a distributor with a 6 blade chopper plate (6 triggers per 360') then it should be good.

Please do check the rotor phasing as explained here

http://www.gotech.co.za/support%20rotorphasing.htm
nicke
Silver
Silver

Post by nicke »

I found an Alfa Dizzy that will work. The 80-81 Spider L-Jet has a hall sensor. But I have no idea what the output pins are. Anyone have a diagram? I need pin-out info on the white cable going out of the distributor, it's about 6ft long and ends in a black terminator.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Hi,

Would you not need a 4 blade chopper plate for a 4 cylinder Alfa engine?

I think you need a dizzy from a '88-91, 1.8 ALFA 75 injection.

They ran with bosch motronic injection, and the dizzy would be perfect.

hope this helps
Andrew b
nicke
Silver
Silver

Found a Dizzy

Post by nicke »

The 80-81 L-Jet Spider dizzy's have Hall sensors! And I found one. Spent the evening rebuilding it, I also found a brand new Hall sensor from a Fiat 132 that fits right in. No vacum advance, no extra magnets, it's all good. It has 4 blades and should work fine. The ignition for those Spiders also have a coil sitting in a HUGE heat sink with an ignition module under the coil, I kinda like the idea of not running the ignition pulse straight trough the ECU, now I have to figure out what nice coil will work with that setup.

Cheers, Nick
Attachments
81_spiderDizzy.jpg
81_spiderDizzy.jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 13972 times
4agedub
Silver
Silver

Post by 4agedub »

On a four cylinder you want a four blade chopper.

The sensor in the dissy posted last allmost looks like a magnetic type pickup. These should be ok as well if it generates enough volts.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Andrew: Have you verified this? My 75 TS motronic distributors are all very empty as they have the 60-2 on the crank.
Bummer for me. :/
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
4agedub
Silver
Silver

Post by 4agedub »

With the 60-2 wheel at the bottom you can go for the Gotech MFI Pro ecu and just use the distributor to distribute the spark. :wink:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yes, of course, If I used the TS engine. But this was a question about the dizzy. ;)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
4agedub
Silver
Silver

Post by 4agedub »

Whell you can always modify the distributor. ?
Gotech fuel injection systems
South Africa
Tel: +2711 3978197
Email: louis@gotech.co.za
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

That is what I will do id I cant find an OEM solution.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
nicke
Silver
Silver

Nice blister on my hand...

Post by nicke »

I've spent most of the day porting and polishing a 40mm, 1600 Weber manifold to fit my rather obscene 45mm throttle-bodies... The original 38mm spica manifolds are a bit small in comparison... The only odd thing is the odd off-center match of the 45mm rubber spacers (that I'm way lucky to have found), 1mm on top and 4mm or so at the bottom... See the pic at the bottom.

Tomorrow I'm planning to match the manifold to the head and do some light polishing. I'm not going too crazy on the head as US pump gas is not too exciting and I'm planning to run old school 1600 GTA cams with OK lift and SILLY long duration... I want to have some low-end torque left... The funny thing witth the 1600 manifold is that he bottom heavy offset carries on to the head... TPS and MAP mix will be interesting with that long overlap.

I'm also using 10:5:1 J&E pistons, over-sized liners and a polished/knifed crank...

This engine should be interesting to map, and it'll be my first one... hence Project Gunnieapig...

Cheers, Nick
Attachments
manifold_inprogress.jpg
manifold_inprogress.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 13818 times
manifold_done_CU.jpg
manifold_done_CU.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 13818 times
manifold.jpg
manifold.jpg (70.8 KiB) Viewed 13818 times