aggarcia
Silver
Silver

GoTech reading accuracy

Post by aggarcia »

As a new GoTech user I want to check with others, but how accurate are the reading from the GoTech?

The reason I ask is that for example the coolant temp on the GoTech shows around 104-117 C, while the engine temp sensor shows 80 C. They are both reading from the same place on the thermostat housing so they should have similar readings. A difference of at least 20 C is pretty big.

Also the AFR reading off the O2 sensor does not match. The GoTech screen wouls show 740-760 mv, while reading straight off the O2 shows 680-690 mv.

Is there some way to calibrate this settings or which is right?
ANDREWG

1982 GTV6 ITS #63
1988 Milano Verde - Project car
1988 Milano Verde IMSA IS - now SCCA ITE
1991 164S

www.garciaalfaracing.com
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I think there is, use the F5 key and see if you can find it on that screen, mine does the same thing, and I want to check all those next.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Although Alfa instruments are sometimes not accurate, I would actually trust the Alfa instrument in this case. You can check by running it on the freeway and watch the temp readings. Assuming your thermostat is working you should be at the optimal temp, 80C, or whatever it is, and can see which device is correct. You can also watch which device provides the most accuarte temps for radiator fan on and off - forgot them off the top of my head. Anyway, my reason for trusting the Alfa instrument is that I can imagine there could be a calibration issue between the GoTech ECU and whatever temp sensor Alfa is using. Of course, your engine temp sensor could be bad, but given that Sam, and I as well, have similar observations then...

Keep in mind that if you do find a calibration and proceed to calibrate it, then your map effectively will change, as a given operation point will now receive a different water temp correction since the ECU is observing a corrected (different) temp. So, all such calibration issues should probably be sorted prior to expensive dyno time, or forever live with an inaccurate temp reading, and simply do the tuning based on that.

Or, you purchase a water temp from GoTech. I believe they sell some. That should work. If you are lucky even the thread on the housing matches...

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Hi

You must use the gotech temp sender for it to sync. The temp will show a higher reading in the software, as is is not calibrated for the alfa type temp sensor.

hope this helps

Andrew.b
Andrew b
aggarcia
Silver
Silver

Post by aggarcia »

What type of sensors does GoTech supply with its units? I assume they much use standard sensors that currently exist from some car maker.
ANDREWG

1982 GTV6 ITS #63
1988 Milano Verde - Project car
1988 Milano Verde IMSA IS - now SCCA ITE
1991 164S

www.garciaalfaracing.com
GTV6GPTT
Gold
Gold

Post by GTV6GPTT »

anyone used innovate meters?
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Yep - I have purchased several - and taken a few of the A/F units back to South Africa for Barry, Dawie, Stewey et al... We are going to permanently install one of the Innovate digital meters in the 156 GTA race car and I think that this is the route that Barry picked as well...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Re: GoTech reading accuracy

Post by DaveH »

aggarcia wrote:They are both reading from the same place on the thermostat housing so they should have similar readings.
I don't agree with this. The end device - the analog gauge may be where yr inaccuracy is. It is not a precision instrument by any means. Also if it's ground path is poor, you could have a lower reading.

Usually in closed loop temp control systems, you have to specify the type of reading device, eg: a k-type thermocouple. Does the GT software give you the option to spec the reading device? Or are you using a GT temp sensor?