SamW
Platinum
Platinum

SamW's GoTech

Post by SamW »

I am on vacation this week, lot's to do, I am in the middle of a head gasket on my GTV6, but I am on hold due to a bad fitting head gasket. So... I played with the GTed Verde today, I did a final mount of the GT unit and DonG and I took it for a spin around the block, runs pretty good, still rich, but runs. I took a few pics, so here they are. I am painting the Benzoni wheels, I have the speedlines on there now, but i have 195/55/15 tires on order.
Attachments
Interior mount
Interior mount
Verde Inter GTsm.jpg (55.65 KiB) Viewed 16023 times
Engine bay
Engine bay
Verde Engine Sm.jpg (80.6 KiB) Viewed 16024 times
Notice the spare parts in the back ground
Notice the spare parts in the back ground
Verde sm.jpg (66.84 KiB) Viewed 16024 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Any improvement over stock? I think you need to shield the air filter.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I could not tell, only driven her about a mile, but she feels strong. Let me get her on the road and I should answer that better. I agree, I also need to extend it forward some too, but that is easy enough, just a longer tube up front.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Good job Sam, where did you hide the ECU?
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Is it sitting below the ARC (3rd pic) or is that something else?

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

That's it! I need to do a little more fitting, but since I won't be using the ash tray, I thought it would be a good place for it, besides I don't feel bad about cutting up an ash tray. I am driving it back to my house this weekend!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Funny. That's where I wanted to put mine, except I want it inside the ashtray so that you can't see it with the ashtray closed (smog...), but you can open the ashtray to check the LEDs and play with the potentiometer.

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I sort of wish I could use the shift lights and the optional output for the fuel pump relay, that way I could use the shift lights on the ecu, oh well, I think that I have that on the pro unit.
4agedub
Silver
Silver

Post by 4agedub »

be very carefull in the placement of your gotech ecu's.... I had a client last year who insisted that his gotech ecu must be fitted in the centre console. So we did as told. He took the car and went on vacation to Durban, which is about 800km (500 miles) from our shop. While on vacation his car was broken in to and the stole the Gotech ecu, probably thinking that it was an amp or something. Stranded in Durban he had to buy a new ecu there and fortunattely for him I could email the map down there to be loaded onto the new unit.
Gotech fuel injection systems
South Africa
Tel: +2711 3978197
Email: louis@gotech.co.za
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

That is good advice, I plan on making some sort of cover for it, but I have it pretty secure in there now, but if they want it they will get it.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Now that I have most other things sorted out on the car, I am really starting to drive her more and have just started to play with the programming. I have a G-Tech A/F Ratio meter hooked up, I know this is not accurate enough to do an accurate tune, but I am trying to get the car less rich, it is full rich across the board all the time. I have done some programming and what I have learned so far it is a fine line between rich and lean, I am erroring on the rich side, but i have set it so if I turn the knob on the control to lean, I can see the results on the A/F meter. I have been mostly concentrating on the lower throttle or cruising settings, just to get the fuel mileage up. But I have a few questions. 1) at idle, I am reading rich, and as I lean it out I get a vibration from the engine, but if I richen it, the revs start to drop and you can her the engine boug a little. Any ideas? 2) When the temp gets cold (below 40 f) the car does not want to start (with a cold engine), other than this it starts fine, I have adjusted the engine temp for the mis-reading of the sensor, but I have the cold debur only to about 20, should I try to set this higher?

Thanks!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Two things affect start-up:
1. The 8 sec, or so, enrichment - think I have mine at 11.
2. The enrichment as function of water temp.
I suspect you need to play with 2 to get better cold start. Should be simple. Good luck.
Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Thanks Jes, I kicked up my enrichment to about 20, but I think it is too high because when it is warmer that car stumples for about 8 seconds, then smoths out, so I guess I need to play with enriching the water temp. Have you messed with the air temp enrichment? My car idles about 200-400 rpm higher when it is cold out...
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Yes, I have adjusted both air temp enrichment and water temp enrichment. I adjusted the air temp enrichment in order to maintain A/F ratio (before turning on closed loop) when car sits idling accumulating hot air (and taking it in) compared to running on the street IN THE EXACT SAME environment, i.e. 2 min later, and then stop (it then idles with colder air for a short while). Without this adjustment it would idle with different A/F ratios due to the change in air temp. Though, a somewhat tedious process...

Of course, it is never really that cold here (in So Cal) - was in the 80s last week 8)

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Nice, we are having our first real cold snap of the winter here in the south east, it has touched the high 20's a couple of nights. I think I will start by zeroing out the air temp adjustment for now just to tune it, maybe wait for a 60's day to do that, just so it does not come into play...