Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

75 2.0 carb has very meaty cams, I'm guessing those are the ones he mean.

Cosworth? Isn't that the head in the Guinnes book of records showing worst flow ever for a 4v head? :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

75 carb engines had the big lobes and so did the 1.6/1.8 IE cars but these also had the variator device, not very convenient for someone who doesn't need it. Only the intake cams from the above engines are suitable (big lobes) Cam P/N's are 60549786 and 60522380 (with and w/o variator).
The 10548... cam is not listed for any 75 version, in AR Microfiches or the AR parts CD.
Opel and Mercedes were humble (and clever) enough to have Cosworth design and build some of their heads a while ago (GSI, 2.3/16 and 2.5.16). At AR: we donta needa nobody to make a gooda head for us, capish? Luigi iza da beste mechanico! We nota buy Cosworth, va fanculo! :lol:
A dialogue from the Twilight Zone??
Jim K.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Luigi also make a spicy meat a ball
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Alfettish wrote:Luigi also make a spicy meat a ball
Nah, you're thinking of Mario. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hahahah! You guys are great for f. up threads!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(Yeah....I know, I know...'cast the first stone etc..')
Jim K.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

I can't help it when I get stirred up.
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

JimGreek wrote: The 10548... cam is not listed for any 75 version, in AR Microfiches or the AR parts CD.
hm it seems 75 carb head i have with 10548.. is not original :?
about super cosworth guy his next project is 1k hp golf :lol: .. he must stop eat olives and drink nasty smell ouzo ... :lol:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

TS, the 1.6/1.8 75 carb engines had intake cams 116550320008 / 116850320001 and exhaust cams 105200320000 (old numbering system) which became 60522380/60549788 and 60516605 in the new system. These intake cams have 11mm lift and 299* duration (!!). The exhaust cam has 9mm lift and 272* duration and is the same as the 1.8Turbo exhaust cam, where duration is 252* because of higher clearance (0.575mm instead of 0.475mm)

You can find genious mechanics everywhere. Its not their fault though, its the customers who must know what the hell they want! We all know the best Cosworths are made by UK firms, a lot of serious names. All it takes is an email to these people asking "how many reliable horses for xyz type of racing and how much"! Instead, most people throw $$ down the drain...call it education! In the case of the Cosworth customer you mentioned, money was no object! The way I see it, the mechanic could have contacted a good UK shop, add 20-40% and sell a truly good motor, learning how the damn thing works in the process!
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Nice read, i'm out of internet until next week, Jim, i'm very interested on those titanium rods you say, if the test comes out ok count me in for an order, one other thing off topic, i'll be in europe from may the 16th to june de 15th, when is the ring trip planned?? :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

The price of $38ea for Ti rods is a source price and minimum qty is ~10 rods. The catch is that to communicate with the makers down there, you must subscribe to a commercial system that requires at least $500 yearly dues...In other words, we will have to go through established dealers (who must be making humongous profits!). Leaving Ti aside, 4340 rods will run about 350-450Euros/set if they make them already, but I don't know if they do.
I'm dealing with having V6 rods made and I've been told to expect the first set this or next week.
Ring trip is planned for May 6th (driving day).
Jim K.
KingDom
Silver
Silver

Twin Spark Engines

Post by KingDom »

Jim,

I hope you realise that the asian rods do not come with the cap screw bolts.
You have to supply them youself. You can get these for about US $15-$20 a pair per rod from various American parts supplies.
Be carefull on your selection of bolts as I contacted ARP to get the correct bolt. You require a bolt that uses all its thread area screwed into the rod and no left over thread at the part line of the rod as this is where rod bolts fail.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

They do come with ARP bolts. Sets bought here for other brands (Audi 1.8T to be exact) had them along with the ARP instructions. As for the rest of important features as you say, we compared this rod with a Carillo and they almost were mirror images!
BTW for the V6 rods we are talking 3/8" ARP's.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

That's great news Jim. Are you gonna put them in the 24V?

BTW, thought about the whole thing again. Unless I have a > 125cfm V6 head, I don't see the point in a set of forged rod unless of course I need a new set and forged sets are cheaper than stock.

BTW Mats, have you tasted IKEA's meatballs?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Zamani, the 24v engine has been completed (except some external ancillaries)and waiting installation for 2 years now! So the new rods will be looking for an engine! As you may remember, the 12v has new gta rods (cost~600Euros) and the 24v its own reworked rods. I have three more engines laying around (two 12v and one 24v) so the rods will go in one of them. Why will cfm dictate use of rods or not? I have 121 head cfm and I presently shift at 6900, with max power at 6540. With the new cams, I expect to get the power at ~6800-6900, meaning I should be able to shift at ~7300+!! :roll: Hmmm, kinda high for normal rods, isn't it?? Don't forget fatigue...rods with many thousand miles are not as strong as new rods. I wish I had the time to replace the rods in my 24v...then I'd feel good! I honestly believe new rods are a must in a rebuilt performance engine. Balancing, lightening and polishing doesn't do squat to offset fatigue! This is the main reason race engines are torn down every X race miles: rods, valve springs, rings, bearings are all routinely replaced.

IKEA meatballs are great! So are their beef slices+gravy and their shrimp salads!!
Jim K.
Last edited by Jim K on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Great info on the rods Jim, please keep us updated about those Ti rods, if the price is right i'm more than interested in buying at least a set, plus I imagine i'm not the only one so we can maybe get a few of us to buy a set and reach that minimum order number :D