Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

If the shocks go to full droop you will definetly have a problem with traction.
What kind of shocks do you use?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I have a calculated droop of 16 mm at the rear axle. So if your car is even close, you only need a slight bump to lock the rear brakes with 20 mm. It's not even close to enough.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mats, they are RS. Do you know if a standard 75 rear shock is identical in travel(lenght etc) to a GTV 6. We never got 75's here in SA so I cannot compare. You might know where Im going with this one. Micke what shocks are you using ?.
By the way check out the pic of the worn belt.
Attachments
IMG_2385.JPG
IMG_2385.JPG (54.54 KiB) Viewed 7187 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Belt migration...not good

I expect the crank and cams are parallel, how about the idler/diz?
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I have yellow Konis in the original position. My droop is limited by the flat bottom under the DeDion.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

As far as I know they are identical, RS? you mean as in the kit from Ron? Maybe you can lower the car a bit? 8)
Are the springs loose at full rebound or are they still trying to extend the shock? What I'm trying to say is that when the car goes to full droop, is there a sudden change in spring stiffnes (as in they slam the shock into full rebound) or does the spring almost fully extend and there is almost no change in spring stiffness? If the spring just about stays put on the seats at full droop I guess you're fine (maybe not if the track is very bumpy) since then you would have to lift the rear wheels completely off the ground with the brakes before you go to full droop. :shock:
I have only done that in a military terrain vehicle so I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem. :wink:

If there is still serious tension in the spring at full droop it is more likely that you will see fully extended shocks while braking, not good. This needs to be rectified somehow.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mats, I think I have to much tension at full droop. gonna make some changes tomorrow either drop ride height or if that does not suit me I will extend the shock(can do anything here.) Thanks ,good feedback.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

X-rad, found the problem with the belt migration after much" pain". The right cylinder head was skimmed at a slight angle by some useless engineering shop. As I bought this as an abandoned car I would have no idea who did it anyway. I will post a pic and you might see the angle it was skimmed by the different heights on each copper plug. Got a race this weekend so I got some busy nights ahead this week.
Mats ,Im going to add a further 20mm in machined spacers to the rear shocks to see if it helps . Cant see why it wont.
Attachments
IMG_2387.JPG
IMG_2387.JPG (58.87 KiB) Viewed 6978 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

GOOD EYE , Kevin!

I would have checked that last...hope you got enough metal for an even shave(or another head)!

I am guessing you checked both sides?!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Got spare heads which i will use. It was only one skimmed skew. The Budget car is costing me time at this stage but I know there is no such thing as cheap and easy motorsport. The 3.7 is making good progress.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Damn, that was a good catch! :shock:

I'm guessing the rear shocks are not coil over then. 8) (Just checking) :wink:

Sounds like a plan, have you checked how much extra droop you can add or are you shooting from the hip?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

What are we looking at with the picture of the two belts? I'm guessing that the uneven head caused the belt to twist a bit, but what else?
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

kevin, have you ever seen the dedion anti dive limiter that alfa heaven made? it is simply a bar that screws on to the center watts pivot up through a hole in the trunk with a rubber stop on it.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mats, totally shooting from the hip at this stage but after Saturdays race I will make something more permanent. Maybe anti dive limiter at last resort as mentioned.
Grant ,the two belts was just showing a comparison between the worn one(from touching belt covers) and a new one.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

That "anti-dive" device sounds almost as bad as going to full rebound on the shocks, sure, you still have some individuality left but it's the exact same basic problem - loss of grip because of suspension problems.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!