Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Re: "Patches" MD's Final Racing Project

Post by KevinR »

Hey MD, I see you still got bugs in your undies. Thought you might have been calling ET on your radios and forgotten about your poor 75.
That GTV looks pretty good in that combination of colour coding . Hopefully it will find a good home and we can see progress on the 75. Question : have you seen a step step conversion of a twinspark from a 164 into a transaxle . It’s the only twinspark I could find as they are all getting snapped from the 75s by Alfaholics for their Junior customers . I will start a separate thread but just asking :)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Kevin,

Well mate in the days of old when knights were bold and sheep were afraid, I was supplied with an 8v twin spark from the best friend man could have. It came from the land of funny cigarettes and flour mill turbines. I think they call them wind mills.
If you still have a need for one let me know and I will put out the word for you here in Oz. Given the crazy goings on with Fiat, Lancia and Alfa so we don't know who's up who and who's not payin', I'm thinking plant a 2 litre Lancia HF integrale 16v turbo .

Cheers.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

MD wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:08 am Hi Kevin,
Good to hear from you. I don't recollect seeing your coil over set up. However I will just mention a couple of things.

1. The springs I use have a small radius 65mm ID.
2. The damper is an upside-down version so it requires little room below the UCA.

These short and small diameter springs can rate as high as 1600lbs/in.

Worth keeping in mind that the caster limit is about 3.5* before there is assembly contact with inner part of the UCA . Suit me fine . For more caster, the UCA would need provision for more clearance.

How does yours compare to this?
Never gotten to ask, but I'm super curious, How much drop did you achieve with the upside down ball joint, over stock spindle/A arm layout? Also are these from holden/opel/gm parts bin? Afaik kadett c had such balljoints.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi PietereQ

The lowest configuration that I have had is 80mm ground clearance.It is the only reference I can give you.
Refer packaging for ball joint details. I believe that Kadett had them over there
Attachments
c Roadsafe PN- BJ 118  Bar Code 9319478000346.jpg
c Roadsafe PN- BJ 118 Bar Code 9319478000346.jpg (247.39 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
b Roadsafe PN- BJ 118  Bar Code 9319478000346.jpg
b Roadsafe PN- BJ 118 Bar Code 9319478000346.jpg (240.59 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
a Roadsafe PN- BJ 118  Bar Code 9319478000346.jpg
a Roadsafe PN- BJ 118 Bar Code 9319478000346.jpg (246.11 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

So let the games begin and right up I need some help.
So I can make up a foreign intake manifold on my intended engine, I need some parts from an Alfa 75 turbo series manifold.
Specifically the coolant gooseneck connection in the photo. The rest of the parts I can probably source one way or another but that coolant connection is a must.

IS THERE ANYBODY IN THE WHOLE ALFA WORLD OUT THERE ABLE TO SELL ME ONE ???
Attachments
Manifold 2c.JPG
Manifold 2c.JPG (248.24 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Moving on. Decided to reverse engineer the coolant coupling. Got a mate with a CNC machine who will make it for me from billet.
I have finally cleared all the backlog of servicing the family vehicles as well as buying and selling some cars so now I can return to this project.

Got my headers made and have started to design a racking configuration for the supercharger. I find this stage both challenging and very satisfying when you finally get the set up right. Always looks deceptively simple in the end but anything else in practice. Nearly there.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hey , MD . Great that you’re now getting stuck in to this project . I look forward to seen progress along with many others . Hopefully those others will also make some comments even it’s only about your Alfa Serpent mankini :)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Kevin, good to see you lurking around healthy forums like this one and its strongest challenger for participation -the weather channel.
Goodness me the world has changed in such a short time !

So let's talk Alfas.
The engine is progressing. It's fully assembled now. Here as some visual updates.
Attachments
Blower fouling.jpg
Blower fouling.jpg (246.85 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Potential Blower  Alternator Positions.jpg
Potential Blower Alternator Positions.jpg (248.34 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Headers in progress.jpg
Headers in progress.jpg (238.66 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
Installed Manifold.jpg
Installed Manifold.jpg (245.08 KiB) Viewed 2123 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

MD, how’s project coming on ? Have you made up all brackets for alternator and ancillaries?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Where is MD? Someone tell him to ge back to work. Too much fun in Brisvegas….
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Slow porgress for many reasons. Working around a bunch of other cars and doing my 75 when I get a chance. Waiting on machine shops to get my custom stuff made these days takes an eternity.

Here's a couple of frames indicating a tiny amount of progress.
Attachments
Raised blower location.jpg
Raised blower location.jpg (230.91 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
New pulley is in.jpg
New pulley is in.jpg (239.69 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
One possibiity.jpg
One possibiity.jpg (239.62 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Experimental positionings 1.jpg
Experimental positionings 1.jpg (243.62 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Looking good!! Supercharger setup is looking good……But from the photos, the exhaust header angle doesn’t look to be in compliance with the holy book by the Greek pope.
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

That's because I use a unique formula to make the calculation . That formula is as follows:-

The angle of the dangle, is proportional to the throb of the knob, the heat of the meat and equal the sag of the bag to get the scoop of the droop. To keep it rust free you must apply knacker lacquer which adds luster to the cluster and glamour to the hammer (finish)

When the equation is right you just know you have a great header.
I am not able to make comment on the Pope's extractor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These examples are a work in progress and may not eventually work out to be exactly as shown. The reason being that I prefer to have the discharge outlet to point downwards so as to orientate towards the inter cooler that will have the piping around the lower sections of the engine bay. However to do that fouls the position of the alternator which means that the alternator should ideally be located on the intake side of the engine. That presents a mounting challenge but I have done it before and it is actually better for it as there is less heat from the exhaust headers. I also prefer that position for the SC and I have it there on the current Alfetta racer. It just means a lot more noodling and plumbing to make it happen.
Last edited by MD on Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Whilst the front of the engine is permanent daydream, the rear section is pretty much complete save for the mounting of the starter motor in its usual place. However the components there are modified for racing purposes as you will see. I did not weigh the flywheel so don't ask me. It is not what was my original intention but what I actually wanted, I could not get a machine shop brave enough to do it.
Attachments
1 Flywheel on the job.jpg
1 Flywheel on the job.jpg (227.38 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
2 Flywheel on Vegan Diet.jpg
2 Flywheel on Vegan Diet.jpg (236.2 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
3 Propshaft UJ coupling.jpg
3 Propshaft UJ coupling.jpg (232.86 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
4 Flywheel full install.jpg
4 Flywheel full install.jpg (240.46 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

G’day,

Here you go mate, encouragement to keep you going. Forced induction Alfetta GTV won all 3 races.

https://youtu.be/P2unPZ5ZboE?si=jTsWSyIeDDPtTGzR
Dr. Alban