Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

AlfaZD1 wrote:only heat from exhaust can cause problems, on rear right brake caliper only, because is too close, but never on CV joints
I agree. Unless you have a bad exhaust hanger making it too close to the CVJ boot and it melts. Guess how I know? :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Just when I thought all was great having my new ls box. There is no ways I am chainging shafts. Its time to make new 'hubs' on the cnc machine which is possible . Barry , Mats what do you think , can it work. To be honest I have not even started comparing boxes yet.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Kev,Ill phone you..its a simple 10minute job..Ill give you a hand and we change to the proper stuff..
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Four bolts each side?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
AlfaZD1
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaZD1 »

yes, four bolts, and change only output shafts, can bee I was not said clear first time :oops:
Alfas in heart, Alfas in garage, with Alfa on the roads
http://www.forums.cjb.net/alfa75.html
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thats great news. I will come and visit you on friday(Barry).
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

what i was trying to say is that the heat coming from the brakes soaks into the couplings of the shaft, killing the grease inside of the boots. on the v6 there is a adapter thing that places the shafts further away from the brakediscs which keeps the couplings cooler. when the grease is fried the coupling will die...

I've heard many people about this thing happening on their racecars. they put some very special grease in the boots which can deal with the high temperatures better.
Drive it like you stole it...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

It's the boot itself and the angle of the joint that is the issue.
Change to a J-style boot and replace the grease with Shell Stamina and you will be alright.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Another good weekend of racing except for last heat. The brake discs finally gave up with two huge cracks.Not surprising as they propogate from the drilled holes. No great loss as the discs were over twenty years old. Anyway managed to come second in a twent two car field. The strong points in the car were again the brakes(performance friction pads front and ferodo race rear) and of course rons rs kit.
Dawie was at the circuit today , gave some good input on my tire wear. The GTV that he prepares puts out so much power that it actualy sheared the cv joint coupling he uses on the prop. (GTV that featuerd in Auto Italia a few months ago). Ironically its not even a big bore any more but a 3.0 24v. Sounds good as well.
Will put up pics of all upgrades that are going to take place now.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Decided on Friday to take the 2.5 motor out. Its been a brilliant engine the whole season and not missed a beat apart from water getting into the computer box down the harness. Once engine was out I steam cleaned the whole bay as this the only part of the car that never got painted. Started tp prime early Saturday morning and put on final coat at mid day. Good thing it was a hot day as we(pops and me) managed to get engine in. Paint was still a bit sticky but we only have this weekend to finish it as there is a race next Saturday. Some pics to follow.
Attachments
IMG_2583.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG (61.68 KiB) Viewed 6782 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

This is the 166 3.0 motor going in.
Attachments
IMG_2588.JPG
IMG_2588.JPG (70.96 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

More progress to day.
Attachments
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG (67.28 KiB) Viewed 6779 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The double water bottle is for overflow(in our regs). Decided to put an origional GTV3.0l bonnet(hood) with spoiler on. Pic not so clear as sun is down and car is complete except for mapping which will start on Tuesday. Who knows if this will all come together for Saturdays race if not there is plan B. Front bumper still to be put on.
Attachments
IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2594.JPG (48.4 KiB) Viewed 6776 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Close up view of sump wiring and oil filter.
Attachments
IMG_2585.JPG
IMG_2585.JPG (60.29 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Still no LS in the car yet. If mapping goes according to plan then i will put it in on Thursday otherwise race with it as is which is pretty hectic on this twist track.(major wheel spin)