Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Kev,always leave the pinch nut/bolt loose..start the engine,a coupla blips and switch off.THEN only tighten the pinchnut/bolt..I also pull the rear bell housing as far down as possible and then tighten it all up.Remember the spacers in some older cars under the bell housing mounting ??
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Im sure I have found problem in clutch unit. The intermediate plate had wear on sides thus everytime it was tightened up it gave a new balancing figure(different position everytime). Never seen a worn unit before but I have changed it and no problems. Also found out there was alot of experimentation in the eighties with the racing teams regarding engines 8 deg offset. They tried to slot mounts to straighten it up but no real gains . Reasons given for skew engine was the torque effect brought the engine into alignment.
Will start up tomorrow.
Can anyone tell me the thickness of a new engine mount from outside to outside of plates unloaded(out car) and also of one in car under weight.
There is no supply here and have to make. Baz, if you see mail can you remember if shore hardess of rubber is around 65 ?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

kevin wrote: Reasons given for skew engine was the torque effect brought the engine into alignment.
Do you have std engine mounts?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

kevin wrote:Can anyone tell me the thickness of a new engine mount from outside to outside of plates unloaded(out car) and also of one in car under weight.
Here you go. Brand new out of bag.
Jes
Attachments
V6MotorMount.jpg
V6MotorMount.jpg (216.5 KiB) Viewed 5837 times
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,

I am prempting what Mats is possibly going to say but I would have thought that you would be fitting modified engine mounts, particularly the left one but preferably both.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Putting origional ones back in with no mods but also making new ones. just wanted to check mine have not sagged . Thanks jes for spec of new ones.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I was thinking that if you put stiffer mounts in the wind up of the engine will be smaller. i.e. the skew angle at rest should be smaller.

But I guess it's all guessworks unless you can measure the angles in a dyno at full load... 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Just when I thought I had found the problem in the clutch the vibration was still there. The car is drivable with no vibration below four thou but i got jammed in a gear again while driving around block and then it released iteself. So took clutch out again(F!@#$ fith time) and took gearbox out. Surprise the crown and pinion stripped bad. How it can drive surprises me but then i have not stressed the car since driving back from the track with the broken clutch housing. So I put the 75 ts box in changing half shafts to fit bigger cv's. had to remove 6mm of end of one of half shaft.
Question is why did this vibrate when revving with clutch in.(stationary) and why did cluth housing burst.
Could the bursting come from the sudden vibration from the stripped pinion or could the pinion shaft have moved forwards slightly thus putting pressure on clutch unit.
Anyway first expensive fault is I should never have put a 2.0l crown and pinion(weaker). Speaking of that is a 75ts turbo pinion sameas GTV6 or smaller.
Attachments
IMG_4479.JPG
IMG_4479.JPG (135.36 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

New box . Changing rear bush.
Attachments
IMG_4477.JPG
IMG_4477.JPG (141.76 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Kev,my avitar pic of my turbo ??
Ran the old generation small component box for years in that while stressing it tremendously with the turbo..
I think its more a case of bad luck here..
Ill buy it back from you if you want :wink:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I have seen that exact failure twice. Both times on stock 2.5 GTV6s that were not abused, at least not within the few years prior to failure. I don't really have a good theory abou this, but it could be that there was a bad run of pinion gears that made it out of the factory. In my case, they were both 1983 gearboxes.

Greg
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Oh gee...thanks Greg
In my case, they were both 1983 gearboxes
mine's an 83 too :roll:

Scott
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

kevin wrote:New box . Changing rear bush.
Don't you have a single press in that entire country? Welders and hammers?? :?

Are you 100% sure that the clutch axle aligns with the gearbox input shaft?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,

Make yourself one of these before your burn the joint down or worse still weaken the mount.
Attachments
DSCF2828.jpg
DSCF2828.jpg (216.31 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
DSCF2827.jpg
DSCF2827.jpg (215.32 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
DSCF2826.jpg
DSCF2826.jpg (219.12 KiB) Viewed 5674 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Barry, Im using the LS and all new sincros as we I type into another box for the 3.2. Please dont think Im digging at you. Racing puts serious stresses on parts. Just a question B, is the pinion bigger on GTV6 box(stronger). No part is going to waste. Mats , we believe in fire on this continent. We had a puller but was misplaced. Would not noramally do this but only had today to get it in. Mats also checking alignment as you suggest.
Budget race car- WHAT BUDGET!