Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Re: No longer a ''budget" race GTV

Post by la_strega_nera »

928??
Bit limited on dif ratio choices... I guesss the Corvette T56 based setup is limited in ratio choices too.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Why is it better to have the rear wheels inside or equal to the front track?
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yep , its a 928 box. Ratios are a problem.
I personally think its better to go wider than narrower if understeer is an issue. Like you used to do in karting when setting up a kart with spacers on front wheels only.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I think it helps to put YOU in charge of understeering or oversteering (or not)as the situation more or less calls for rarther than the car having an inbuilt bias. I also think it helps with turn inns..

Straight line stuff is all about traction. Sports touring is all about the bends and getting around them.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

My new lightweight dash . Just one layer of sheeting. Now I can start arranging some sort of dash . Mats what page was your dash lay out on.
Attachments
IMG_3416.JPG
IMG_3416.JPG (125.75 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Here, scroll down a bit.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Hi Kev- I must say, I have really enjoyed seeing this all come together- one of the great things about this forum is that people share their knowledge and experience for the greater good. A lot of things to consider when building up a tough GTV or 75.

Anyway, I thought I would add, after seeing your 928 schemings, that I did once see a Renault truck transaxle and thought it would fit in the DeDion. Don't remember anything about tailshaft couplings but I remember the clutch being integrated. Being a diesel, the ratios would be pretty interesting, but with all your 3.7 torque, it shouldn't be too bad :wink: I think was something like a Un-1 transaxle? I think VW bug guys use them in hipo Kombis.

The other option, which I recall seeing somewhere on the forum, was to rear mount a getrag. It was done in the cradle of a 2002 which had its' IRS converted to trailing arms out of an E30, I think. The clutch issue is the problem there, obviously, but I don't think any of use would argue with the strength and ratios of a 1:1 dogleg Getrag up the back.

When you moving Downunder?

It looks like I will be starting to come to work in Johberg shortly- via V Australia... i may even be there in about 4 weeks' time... keep you posted

Cheers
J
Fixing it bit by bit....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jules , if you really forced to visit Johannesburg i can take you to all the tuners and put some laps in around the neighbourhoods and on a circuit . :D Seriously you better chat to me before you wander around here.
Any way back to Race cars check my new lightweight rear bumper. Its so dam light , barely makes the scale go down. Its made from polyester.
Some of probably ask why the effort when it can be removed but its silhouette racing here in this catergory. Wait until you see my whole front bumber combined GTV3.0L spoiler.
Attachments
rear bumper.jpg
rear bumper.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 5760 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

''bumber'' thats what happened to Konrads car today in the rain . The first customer to the new nose section.
Attachments
konradsgtv.jpg
konradsgtv.jpg (133.14 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

:(

Understeer into tires?
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Oversteer turn two Kyalami in qualifying. Believe it or not ,it was the first wet race in three years. None of the four accidents were understeer , all the back stepping out BUT we found out the there was a lot of oil left on the cicuit from a previous race which the marshalls did not pick up in the downpour. At least Konrad did a bit fender straightening and got out there to finish 8th in next race after spinning twice more (in the first lap). That 3.0 carbi has so much torque.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Nah, he just need to drive it in the rain more... 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I must admit I spin at least three times in wet race. I struggle under braking not cornering. They aint no snow here to practice on. Even skiing teaches you good feel and balance.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

I recommend going to a drifting school to a lot of racers looking to improve their confidence and lap times. Yet no one seems to take the advice seriously for some reason.

To me, it's perfectly logical - some of the worst accidents are from oversteering, and then over correcting/not timing the corrections properly, and there's a crash. Or, sometimes people are afraid of the oversteer, so don't push the car enough.

Everyone should go to a drift school at least once!
:wall:
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

kevin wrote:I must admit I spin at least three times in wet race. I struggle under braking not cornering. They aint no snow here to practice on. Even skiing teaches you good feel and balance.
You spin while breaking in a straight line?? Sounds like a monumental brake bias problem, in the wet you are normally moving brake bias rearwards but if you are locking the rears in the wet it must be like riding a horny viper in the dry. :shock:

grant: dorifto?
Those guys are way slow around a circuit, maybe that's why it's difficult to take them seriously. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!