Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Thanks Jim,

I'll measure the springs ASAP.
Are the measures (35.5 mm) for the TS identical to the Nord engine?

I have 46 mm valves which I didn't weigh yet. I think I sent you the cam curves of the 13 mm lift and 298 deg at .05". 8000 rpm is a must.

Exhaust cam is much milder and the valves are smaller too. So theoretically they could use milder springs - right?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Nord/TS have the same springs. Make sure your valve guides are low enough (don't forget the seal) for this lift! You can have lighter exhaust springs but if the rpm is very high, don't skim on this, set them on the high side. Years ago when we played with some F3 engines here, we had a rule change for taking the restrictor to 27mm (up from 24mm) I designed a new cam for one of the teams to exploit the higher revs which were a max of 6200 up to then. Before we knew it, 3 engines blew up on the dyno! Brabham had calculated the minimum safe spring pressure for 6200rpm and our motors could now go to 7200...or tried to! In F3 especially, every 1/10th of 1hp counts!
Jim K.
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Post by kterkkila »

Here are the pics of my JE pistons (84mm, design by Paul Spruell) and super light pins. Some might be interested :wink:

They are just what I asked for and I'm really satisfied on them :)
Kimmo / alfatune.fi
hagen111
Silver
Silver

Post by hagen111 »

kterkkila wrote:Here are the pics of my JE pistons (84mm, design by Paul Spruell) and super light pins. Some might be interested :wink:

Looking at these pistons they have very thin and sharp edges at the top surface. Aren't you concerned about the sharp edges heating up and glow and accordingly initiate uncontrolled burning?
Alfetta Sedan V6
75 Milano TS Ring Racer
Giulia Squadra Bianca
'67 GT(A) Replica
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Post by kterkkila »

hagen111 wrote:Aren't you concerned about the sharp edges heating up and glow and accordingly initiate uncontrolled burning?
Not really, when it is about the sharp edges on aluminium pistons. Heads, and especially iron heads are another story.

And here's how it looks at TDC. Sorry for poor quality pic.

Kimmo / alfatune.fi
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

damn... :shock:

What kind of compression? Looks like 13:1 at least. :?
Looks like there are squish areas in the sides of the dome? Nice.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Post by kterkkila »

The valve reliefs adds a quite lot of space on combustion chamber. I estimated that the CR with std TS rods and head could be something like 11.5:1. For now I have only CR of 11.3:1 due to chamferred intake valves, but will lift it up later.
Kimmo / alfatune.fi
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

After my first year of racing I found that I definetely need more power. I did ok but the standard tired TS engine (260k km :!: ) with a chip didn't perform well enough to be in front. So this winter it is time to overhaul the engine and turn it into a 200 hp monster :twisted:

I've talked to several people and read Jims new book cover to cover and I'm not quite sure what way to go. I don't have an endless supply of money and I can't take it slow. Racing starts in april and I need to test the engine and the car first.

The head needs 46mm(BMW)/38 valves, good porting, some wild cams and springs, etc.. But which head? I have 155 and 75 TS heads. I'm still thinking of doing this myself as I have several heads lying around and I can save money(but possibly loose power) and use that for pistons. I'm tempted to go for the same pistons as kterkilla. But can I use shotpeened stock rods or should I go for carillos.

The biggest question for me is fuel/ignition. Carbs are cheaper but I hate going back to the stoneage. Controlling ignition also concerns me with carbs. I've read about VEms/Megasquirt and especially vems has got me tempted (with some bike throttle bodies). Any suggestions?

Did I mention I'm buying all you can eat -schnitzel at the ring for the guy that gives me a full recipe for a 200 hp TS engine :wink:
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Dennis, if there was a sure-fire recipe for 200hp motors some people would get very rich selling them. I can imagine some builder having a few of these on skids, ready to go, complete with the dyno sheet...hmmm, what would a proper cost for something like that be/ what would a customer accept as reasonable? Why hasn't it happened yet? It does happen for higher forms of motorsport but not in our amateur level; maybe its the lack of sponsorship money...that has to be it.
Rest assured you can pull more than 122-125cfm from the TS head with big-valves, 75 or 155 origin. That number would give you potential for more than 200hp as long as everything else is sized for the task. Definitely go for Carillos, you'll routinely need more than 7400rpm. In my opinion, ITB's are the way to go (look at the AHM setup)and Kimmo's pistons look very good! A CR of ~12.5:1 with the right cams and enough dyno time should get you the magic number.
Look, we'll be at the Ring in May and we accept schnitzel donations... :lol: This is enough advance notice for anyone to get their act together and plan a nice group-meeting.
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

155 ts head compared to 75 have more strighter ports(can run shower type injectors) BUT roof of the port of 155 head is very close to oil drain chanel(you can see in 155 port litle hump back of valve guide hump) problem is if you want good porting of intakes there is risk ... and you dont want to remove material from lower side of port, short side radius is even very bad(need adding some JB weld and form nice transition)
i have both 155 and 75 TS heads if you need pics i can make :) other problem is 46 mm valve seat insert is almost on the edge of c. chamber and piston liner wall :? bmw m30 valves are shorter than TS you can use mercedes 190 2,3 8v motor ..they are under 1mm shorter, 8mm stem but need to maschine 3 chanels in exact height for those litle thingis that hold spring retainer (collets?) have pics of ruined set of merc valves trying to cut chanels myself :lol:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

BMW 46mm valves were never recommended for TS, only for 105 engines. Many variants of epoxy materials have been known to flake off inside ports with disastrous results. Nice to play with on the flowbench but questionable durability in real life. No harm if flaking occurs in exhaust ports, where aluminum welding is the only long term solution. We are currently attempting to properly weld inside a 105 intake port with half-ass results so far, but we have reached 126cfm and there's more to come! Remember this is a 105 head with a 46mm valve!
Jim K.
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

I knew the schnitzels would get you fired up Jim!

I know 200 hp isn't as easy as I made it sound. The BMW valve thing is good to know, damn I nearly ordered a set! What 46mm valves should I look for?

I've heard from two respectable engine tuners that you can't get the inletports to the right size/geometry with the 155 head. I've seen the bump because i have a cut 155 head, a complete one and 3 75 TS heads. Plenty of practice material for porting! But which is the best option.

Ok, so carrillos is the best way to go. I've seen them at Paul Spruells site aswell as the pistons. That will give good quality for money with the current exchange rate.

I know ITB's are the best but I can't afford a set of Jenveys with a Haltech, Motec, Electromotive. I might be looking at Emerald, though. Carbs are only an option if I run out of money....

Thanks guys!!
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Dennis,

Why not ported SPICA throttle bodies? They are very cheap here in the US as people like to dump them and go for webbers. You just need to machine and weld injector bosses for them.

Also for ECU, just ask Stephen to put a UNICHIP with a hotwire or map sensor with the stock Motronic.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

BTW, would you like to buy my 4-puck clutch too hehe .
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

We are currently attempting to properly weld inside a 105 intake port with half-ass results so far
I experienced the same on one exhaust port of my ts head, very difficult to do. Eventulally went to a specialized firm, $$$$$$

But thinking furhter. Why not mill big straight ports, put sleeves inside, press fitted, mayby end tack welded for safety. And then CNC mill the perfect port form. I know it will be expensive but the best result you ever can get.

@toyota F1 here in Koln they do the head out of one single block of alloy :shock:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79