Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

for ITBs why not use junked 45's and make aluminium flanges and weld them to existing TS mahifold ... i have done this but for delorto 40 :)
merc valves are 114,9 mm long 46 mm dia and 8 mm stem ... but need to be maschined for TS collets :? they are almost identical to BMW m30 ones ... not heavy tulipe(like stock TS) and are concave=lighter than stock TS ..here pic off well ruined set ... dont laugh :lol:
Attachments
ruined new set :(
ruined new set :(
Picture1 082.jpg (128.19 KiB) Viewed 8497 times
note maschined step of flange for perfect fit :)
note maschined step of flange for perfect fit :)
Picture1 071.jpg (138.93 KiB) Viewed 8499 times
thick walled alu tube 40mm ID turned on lathe to tight fit in carb body
thick walled alu tube 40mm ID turned on lathe to tight fit in carb body
Picture1 069.jpg (124.3 KiB) Viewed 8499 times
thsi is complete look
thsi is complete look
Picture1 080.jpg (130.1 KiB) Viewed 8499 times
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

JimGreek wrote: ...We are currently attempting to properly weld inside a 105 intake port with half-ass results so far...
Jim K.
what about this kind of short side radius shapeing :D dont know from where have pic ..
Attachments
aam.jpg
aam.jpg (109.24 KiB) Viewed 8494 times
kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Post by kterkkila »

TS_turbo wrote: merc valves are 114,9 mm long 46 mm dia and 8 mm stem ... but need to be maschined for TS collets :? they are almost identical to BMW m30 ones ... not heavy tulipe(like stock TS) and are concave=lighter than stock TS ..here pic off well ruined set ... dont laugh :lol:
I am also using those MB valves. New lock grooves on the pic looks just similar to mine.

I've been thinking about trying flat type valves on TS someday. Does anybody have experiences about that? I've heard so many conflicted conceptions, but not seen any real test results on TS engines..
Kimmo / alfatune.fi
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

oh flat back valves? of course i have ruined new set stock TS to convert them to flat back :lol: Jim K. do not recomend them other very knowledgeable guy Guy Croft too ... you can see my "moded" vlaves in background of pic ..btw this is bullet nose bronze guides replasement of stock cast iron ones
Attachments
Picture1 090.jpg
Picture1 090.jpg (116.71 KiB) Viewed 8445 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

How about the valve guide protrusion into the port? I've seen some ports, mostly modified Honda B-series heads, almost no valve guide protrusion. Flushed with the ports. But doesn't that accelerate valve guide wear since, I'm assuming, they're cutting the guide to a shorter length.
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

cuted guides = no good for high lift cams and heavy valves ..
P.S http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=199 nice info about valve shape ..this is for fiat twin cam ..very close to alfa twin cam too :D
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Yes. Mine at cut not to protrude in the port. It is not good for wear and only makes sense on race cars.
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Progress is rather slow but we are getting somewhere!

Control of ignition and fuel will be taken care of by an Emerald ecu. It's quite affordable and more important, here in Holland there are some guys capable of tuning them very well. I've got my hands on a beautiful intake manifold and 45 Jenvey throttle bodies.

The engine itself is in the machine shop awaiting balancing of the crank, flywheel and pully. Lightening, balancing and shotpeening of the rods. Cleaning and line honing of the block itself and cleaning an porting of the head. I will use the stock valves as my machinist advised against using 46 mm inlet valves. A good job will require a lot of work(cost) and he is worried we will run into problems with the valve cutouts in the pistons. He never has done a 46 mm valve job on a Alfa TS head, including the head for a 230 hp TS engine. That head has "normal" 44 mm valves.

I'm still in the dark with the cams and the pistons. The people who have actually built 200+ hp efi TS engines here in Holland advised not to go over 10,5:1 compression because you will experience a lot of detonation. I know this sounds very weird, but these guys found out the hard way and they are respectable tuners/builders. They would increase CR if they could. What could be wrong? Those compression numbers are less than current production engines! What to do?

I will take some pics of the goodies I have scored!
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

Dennis wrote: The people who have actually built 200+ hp efi TS engines here in Holland advised not to go over 10,5:1 compression because you will experience a lot of detonation. I know this sounds very weird, but these guys found out the hard way and they are respectable tuners/builders. They would increase CR if they could. What could be wrong? Those compression numbers are less than current production engines! !
sound verry strange ... 10.5 CR , wild cams and detonations ? i tryed 11 CR(nord rods) with all other stock(cams) and didnt have detonations with 98 fuel .... for pistons if you plan to put oem pistons get 164 TS pistons .. they are more modern design short and partial skirts and shorter(lighter) pin
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

I know it's wierd, that's why I'm trying to find out what could be wrong. They are still experimenting but obviously they're not willing to tell me what they are up to. Good tip about the oem pistons!

Anyway, here are the goodies:
Attachments
lightened flywheel and front giubio cage
lightened flywheel and front giubio cage
IMG_1544.jpg (35.81 KiB) Viewed 7898 times
inlet manifold
inlet manifold
IMG_1547.jpg (33.37 KiB) Viewed 7899 times
IMG_1549.jpg
IMG_1549.jpg (23.39 KiB) Viewed 7898 times
the 45 jenveys
the 45 jenveys
IMG_1548.jpg (37.76 KiB) Viewed 7898 times
the patient
the patient
IMG_1430.jpg (71.7 KiB) Viewed 7898 times
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Dennis,

What kind of rollcage are you using? Do you have pics? How heavy? I was thinking of having the cage attach to the firewall as well. I guess that would make it a 8-pt cage. Is yours like that?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The firewall? That piece that is as stiff as wet cardboard? 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Dennis,

Looking at image 1549, the angle of the intakes on the manifold looks good. It is the same angle that I am anticipating to do when the porting the head is finished. The only concern I have at the moment is under bonnet clearance once I add the ITB's, rams and air box. Something is gonna give. I can see a hole in the bonnet emerging as we speak. :D

Ideally, it should all be in a straight line hence the quandry.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Zamani,
The cage is extended to the front suspension towers. I need the stiffer front end because I'm running coilovers (no torsion bars). The rear is mounted to the rear shock towers. I have some pics somewhere, but I don't know where..... :oops:

Hey Mike!
I will post some pics with the intake manifold on the head. A LOT of grinding has to be done on the intake ports and some welding above the port to get a good seal between head and intake manifold :shock:
I'll post a pic of a 75 wth the same stuff.
Attachments
intake.JPG
intake.JPG (54.19 KiB) Viewed 7841 times
intake2.JPG
intake2.JPG (37.17 KiB) Viewed 7840 times
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Zamani,

There are areas around the "firewall" which are conducive for locating parts of the cage. This is immediately at the lowest end on the "dashboard" area. This section is full of box sections and is much stronger than many other parts of the car.

See photos and use what is applicable to you. Bear in mind this is for RHD application so you need to reverse the location of the transfer bar if you intend using one to clear the pedals.

The transfer bar not only increases body stiffness but may assist to a limited degree penetration of the firewall by the engine in a frontal impact.
Attachments
Dashboard area with cross brace.jpg
Dashboard area with cross brace.jpg (206.9 KiB) Viewed 7834 times
Coupling to dashboard.jpg
Coupling to dashboard.jpg (176.9 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse