Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Data acquisition system

Post by ar4me »

I have a lap-timer in my race car that has a "beacon" on the pitwall and the transponder in the car. This provides on the fly lap times, IF it works. Sun and random factors seem to interfer with this, and it has become very annoying not to know if you will get lap times or not during practice.

To get something dead-reliable I'm considering one of those GPS based systems that do not require a pitwall beacon. This is one example:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/traqmate1.htm

Anyone have any experiences or recommendations regarding these GPS based systems?

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jess,We used Racelogic from the UK with the GTA cars..The drivers did not like what the units were saying though.. :wink:
I found them to be invaluable with the data they spewed out.We could segment the track and do multi overlays and compare..A myriad of different types of data-G`s.time.speed.uhm..all sorts..
Dented the "professional" drivers ego`s somewhat as well..

If I were not such a clutz Id use one myself..I have to learn how to drive basics first though..
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I have a Race Technology DL1, 8 analog channels 0-12v, 4 frequency channels, 3 dedicated engine rev channels (for different ways of getting the signal, and so on. Incredibly stable unit with 100Hz sample rate on all channels except GPS which is 10Hz. I put some logs of laps up here somewhere in a G-G style plot.
It also has a serial input so you can log all channels from an injection system such as Autronic or Haltech.

Not so easy to get it to work as a laptimer though as it doesn't have a display, there are displays available but I have a separate AIM laptimer instead and that has been 100% this far. MyChron Light TG. BIG digits which are clearly visible, I can even see them in my videos. :)

Link to the other thread: Link

Link to Race Technology: DL1

Link to AIM: MyChron Light TG
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I stuck a wet finger out the window once but all I got was bird crap on it. Go figure.. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I use a DL1 like MZ.
Here's a cheap and decent alternative for starters:
http://www.racechrono.com/
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Thanks for the links. So, the DL1 you guys are running is the GBP499 package, and then I would need DASH1 for incar display of parameters (such as laptimes, split times, etc.)? Do you know of anything less expensive than DASH1 that will do the incar display job? Any particular add-ons you guys would recommend?

I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to go back home and analyse and compare laps (even overlay them), corner speeds, G's, lines, etc. in order to approach driving from a more methodical angle. Lap times are a good tool, but is just one big average - I want better resolution and more granular feedback.

Jes
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

You definetly need to be able to overlay laps, that's one of the most important features. You can let the software (SW) set sectors automagically (I always use this) or you can add as many sectors at you like manually. All data can be checked at 1/100 of a second intervals (as if you would need that) and reading different cornering speeds or sector times depending on different lines are a breeze.
What you want to definetly stay away from in that perspective is the Driftbox/Performancebox which is an absolute joke compared to the moderatly more expensive DL1. No inputs and the only benefit, the display, is stamp sized and unreadable at speed. A friend has one and was pretty pleased with it until I brought my logged data over to him one day, now he really hates his Driftbox. Go figure. :lol:

I have the std DL1 without any add-ons, Dash2 would be nice but then again I have the laptimer and my 5" monster tach so pretty much everything is covered anyway. Maybe next time.
Come to think of it you might wanna get the video option if you are going to do some serious self-teaching.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

DL1+DASH1+VOB=GBP 1200 :shock: I think I better be a good boy and hope Santa makes a stop... However, I am looking for an efficient way to self-teach and optimize driver performance. It would be really nice to be able to overlay the data on the video, though.
Jes
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Mats,

What do you think of traqmate? I'm going to get one of these. I like the DL1 as it can interface with my Autronic. Can get the DL1 here for US$965 close by my house.

Jes,

I think if I get this, I will just TT at Willow Springs in Feb. I really want to break 1:40 and the butt-o-meter is useless in helping me get there. Need real data. Hey if I do it, it'll be the first 75/Milano to break 1:40 at WSIR hehe. GTV folks already making fun of us. I'll do the Alfa Cup at Buttonwillow.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

That's exactly where I'm at. I need better feedback to get the best out of the car. I honestly think Roxanne should be capable of 1:38 at WSIR and 2:04 at BW. Anyway, to get there I need better feedback. I was making some progress this past weekend, running 1:42.xx during TT practice, chasing and trying to pass Jorge for most of the Alfa Cup qualifying race, but Sunday afternoon after driving the entire Alfa Cup race in defensive mode, I had nothing left for the TT - could not get any decent speed out of the car. Very frustrating. So, I'm looking for useful feedback to study and assist me in becoming faster... DL1 may just be the tool I'm looking for - looks pretty good.

At this point my investments will be going towards the driver.

BTW, WSIR may be January again.

Zamani, can you ask if they have DASH1 and VOB or provide a phone number? Perhaps we can get discount if we buy together.

Jes
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Not VOB box, I meant the video software option for the DL1 that allows you to sync your video to the logged data and scroll back and forth in the data and have the video showing at the same time. Very helpful when you try to figure out just what the h3ll you were doing to make the data look like that. :)

"Drop and Go – Stick a Traqmate in your car, turn it on, and collect data all day long. No sensors required."
Traqmate looks like the Driftbox, an overpriced toy. No sensors required menas that every "data channel" is calculated from GPS. It also probably means that you can't plug in external sensors which is reallt bad.
RPM, Steering angle, throttle pos, brake pressure and so on is very useful when trying to improve your driving.

DAQ is really a big step. The initial cost is very high (or so it seems) but the benefits are huge and easily is worth more then an engine upgrade for instance. Investing in yourself is always a better option then investing in your car IMO.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

IMO a display is not 100% necessary. The analysis is done afterwards anyway.
If I'd get a display (like I will) I'd go for the dash2 as the dash1 is awful and the price difference is not that big.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't realize that the GBP100 software upgrade allows you to sync up data and video - very nice.

I do want to combine it with a display and get the in-car lap and split times (since I want to eliminate my current beacon timer) - somewhat useful in-car info although the real learning from trhe data happens off-line (no pun intended). You are right that DASH2 is only marginally (relatively speaking) more expensive - hmm...

Jes
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Actually we should mail order from. The official US dealer is in Virginia, same price for DL1 as it is over here, and no sales tax :lol: . Actually all prices in the US should be the same.

DASH1 gives sector times.... IMHO that is VERY useful. Anecdotal evidence, in PC sims like GTR2 or WTCC, I improve lap times by relative sector times. That way you know right away what you did right or wrong in the last sector.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Oh what about G2X

http://www.g2xtreme.com/main.htm

Cons are, no serial data input, and limited external sensor, GPS is 4Hz as opposed to 5Hz in DL1 (not sure if the extra 1 sample/sec gonna make a big difference). I'm not a pro, so this one is very tempting since >$1K and has a nice display unit as well.

Edit: Just checked the sensor prices for the DL1 :shock:

Edit2: G2X has 12 sensor inputs.