Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Ferrari inspired GTV6 challenge

Post by kevin »

Some posts of this 155 testing at Kyalami on youtube. Not sure how to put links but search 155 3.0L 24v twin turbo mid mount.
Now that this project is complete there is going to be extensive work done on his GTV's to closer back to the origional theme of Ferrari inspired GTV6.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, good news is the owner(Joe) of the monstrous TT GTV6(which was South Africas fastest GTV) is back in business after breaking his back. So the Ferrari inspired gtv is back on schedule. Sadly both turbos rusted in this period so it is start again time. His brother has not missed a beat on the mad 155 mid mount. They have just remade the rear dedion with a slot in it to lower the gearbox. Pic to follow
Attachments
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG (127.01 KiB) Viewed 6855 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Really inspiring to see privateers with such brand loyalty tackling mods on first principles. Not even broken backs can keep these boys down!! AAAww man, makes my attempts look like kindergarden..

Thanks Kevin for your updates on these projects. I personnally really appreciate them and Ifeel sure fellow loonies out there do too.

To make the picture complete, what we need is a fearless, ruthless Alfa nut reporter in the land of cloggs and tulips to report on the antics of them whacked and crazy Dutchmen who are always coming up with tricky stuff.

(Not saying here everybody else knows sheit. Certainly not-except maybe JK. :D Maybe I can blame it on Dennis ? :D )

Any takers? :mrgreen:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I can go there and drink beer. Will that make you happy? :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Well if anyone can do it, you iz de man but just make sure you still have enough neurons working to snap a few pics for us.. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Mats wrote:I can go there and drink beer. Will that make you happy? :)
You're more then welcome to come over and have a beer... :wink:

I believe there is going to be a small delegation of alfadrivers that will attend the annual "Spettacolo Sportivo" in 2009. That will be held at Zandvoort or Assen racetrack, probably around August. I think the Alfa Challenge will race that weekend, so enough crazy-dutchmen around...

just look at: http://www.spettacolosportivo.eu/ for last years event.
Drive it like you stole it...
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

Kevin, the picture of the de-dion, is he using the original shock mounts for coil-overs?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, at the moment I have a lot of time on my hands. Was supposed to come to Oz to visit family but could not get return ticket so i have been spending most days at Domingoes house helping with his youngest brothers Giulietta (three brothers). Its fascinating to watch this chap work. Either he is writing new source code for the Gotech system or he is working on one of his cars. Some people dream of what they are going to build next he just does it on limited budget. This is the third dedion he has tried out. The others bent to much under welding. In the above photo there is a pic of Dawie checking ou his work.
The Alfa racing community here is pretty close so at this time of year there is iether a braai(barbie) at Glenwood, Gotech or at the restaraunt at the locla airfield(Gotech is in a hangar) and talk about the last few races or how one of the alfas whipped the Porcshes or listen to Dawie on all the tricks they got up to when racing the GTV3.0L.
Bruce, yes he is using origional point. I took a video of it in the car today . Will post it after new year.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

To make the picture complete, what we need is a fearless, ruthless Alfa nut reporter in the land of cloggs and tulips to report on the antics of them whacked and crazy Dutchmen who are always coming up with tricky stuff.
I'm dutch, but I live on the the wrong side off the country, luckily for me.
The most intersting (privateer alfa) races are to be seen on Zandvoort (230km) and Assen (293 km). :(

But hey you can't have everything, as I'm close to the Nurburgring (153Km), Spa Francourchamps (81km) and Zolder (42Km). :mrgreen:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Wow, Maurizio you are in a good spot. No excuses for lack of track time except if the weather is bad.
Bruce, correction , the rear shocks are not mounted on this new dedion on shock points. We were wondering today if a shock broke what would we be the best solution to creat least possible damage. Good soulution was to put bump stop between gearbox and dedion so the car can atleast rest on something otherthan the wheels.
When my coil over shock broke my car fell straight onto wheels(wheel arch) scary thought if it was at speed.
There are only 100 active racing Alfas throught out South Africa so its not that big here even though we had over 5000 Alfistis gathered at our Annual Alfa Expo.
Just for the record, the fastest track car here and allroundcar for hill climbs is a road legal Ultima powered by a 3.4 24v tt Alfa engine.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

kevin wrote: There are only 100 active racing Alfas throught out South Africa so its not that big here even though we had over 5000 Alfistis gathered at our Annual Alfa Expo.
Funny, I would have called that a huge racing community. We have maybe 20 active Alfas, including professional teams.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Kev, my tracktime is hugely restricted due to, having to work and serious lack off money :lol:
100 active alfa racers :shock: that is alot

kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ok , its relative to this thread as costs are directly related to building your ultimate race car. I heard that you pay about 300 pounds to go to a track day in UK. This is a bid chunk out of your income if you going on average 1.5 times a month. Here you pay R200 which is 18 pounds sterling. Fuel will cost you R300 for 25l race fuel(105 octane). If import as little as possible and make most of your stuff here you can go do track days relatively easy or do low budget racing. Here if you going to race properly it will eat maybe 5% of your income while in the UK it will be more like 50% of your income.
Whats realy nice here is our local Alfa racing series started about five years with five chaps who just wanted to drive there old Alfas on the track. Now its grown to fifty entrants just in our region. Our success at the moment is we have an open class where you can build absoluetly anything alfa related and race it. This means there are zero politics and its all handicapped based anyway. Your break out times are so minimal 1-2% so you cant sandbag(cheat). To build a really fast super Alfa means you start at the back of the field and its really fun thats why we are seeing the big TT's pulled out of the sheds from the early nineties and racing again.
The enviroment definately lends to the Super Alfas being built.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I like that idea of a 'run what you brung ' class.

In the States (scca) you end up building a car to the class rules. If you do one thing over a class limit you get put in the next higher class...which usually means you aren't competitive until you have done all the mods allowed by the newer class. It seems (not always true) that each class's rules favor a particular model of car also, so if you aren't running that particular car with the allowed mods you won't be at the top of the heap either. And nobody here seems willing to race against rotary engined cars.

zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Ok Kev some trackday prices here in the Netherlands and surroundings...

A day at Spa (about 3 hours real tracktime) is 350 euro, last time I checked....
An exclusive Nordscheife Trackday/ drive what you bring day is 395 euro for a half day.
A day at Zolder is 60 euro/hour and a half day for 170 euro (5 hours). A short, hard on the brakes, boring track
Zandvoort (the cheapest, several different companies rent the track) 120~150 a day.
The days that these tracks are open for free driving are limited to 4 a 5 times a year.

As goes for real racing.. starting fee is about 250 euro per race in the low budget alfa cup. This is a race what you bring class, only safety (FIA) rules. This gives you a tracktime of about 1.5~2 hours/event.

Nurburgring is now 22 euro/lap or take a multiple ticket which makes the price less/lap.
The ultimate (cheapest for frequent visitors) is a year ticket (unlimited laps) for 1075,- euro for the upcoming year 2009. Track open almost every weekend at least one day when the weather allows it (not freezing/snow). But i avoid rain :oops:
The years I had a year ticket, I did about 130 laps a year, to make it a easy count 10 min tracktime a lap.... On a good day with not to much track closers, I do 16 laps or so, stints of 4 to 5 laps.

As for cost reasons, I keep my car steet legal, so I can visit these rather low budget trackdays by the car itself. Which also forces me to drive it with care, as I need the same car to drive home.