Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MD
Verde
Verde

Racing -Non Specific

Post by MD »

We seem to need a provision for general discussion relating to racing only without hijacking a specific topic so here's one I suggest we can use . This could include any form of motor racing that you think could be of interest to Alfa owners frequenting this Forum.

Let me kick this off..

GTV27
You perplexity with what to do about your existing set up gives many people sometype of grief. I know exactly how you feel as people kept hounding me to race my coupe but I am glad I resisted the temptation and left it as a great touring machine.
Building a dedicated race car obviuosly gives you much more scope admittedly at considerable more expense and so usually the decision is just about the money.
Personally, I would keep the car in street condition as they are appreciating over time and score a 116 shell of anything and make into exactly what you want. You certainly have the driving background to know what you want. Alternatively, simply buy a quick unit that's for sale from down south as has recently been done by guys you know..my2c worth.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Racing -Non Specific

Post by GTV27 »

A new thread is a good idea - better than stomping all over Kev's thread :) .

I am seduced by the idea of being able to drive to the circuit in relative comfort, change into some racing tyres, race all weekend at a respectable pace and then drive home again. Hell, it be even better if I could run road tyres or drive up on race tyres (but that's probably just me being lazy :oops: ).

The trouble is resisting the temptation to keep tweaking it for racing, and end up in something that you don't want to drive the 160km each way to the racetrack because it is too rough, too loud, too unreliable, etc (am I just geting old?).

I don't really want to change my car any more than what its already got (ie slightly hotter engine, stiffer springs, LSD and brake pads) as it is still a nice road car and is now at the diminishing marginal returns stage where big changes are necessary for small gains.

If there were a bunch of like-minded types, we could have our own group ('Strada-Spec') - but most cars now seem to be dedicated racers ('Corsa-Spec') - the opposite of when I started 15 years ago when lightly modded road cars were the norm :?:

Be interested to hear how it goes elsewhere round the world.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

With a race car, in most parts of the world, you are also looking at a need for a trailer and a tow vehicle along with space at your residence to park, or fees for a storage location. Having said that, trailering your car also brings some peace of mind in that your track car is not your ticket home Sunday afternoon.

Although time trailing is fun I find the wheel-to-wheel racing much more thrilling. If your street car meets the safety requirements for wheel-to-wheel racing I suppose you could still drive it to the track. But meeting safety requirements sometimes means cutting up the car more than you would want to do to your nice road car.

If you do your own work, you can make a decent transaxle race car on a budget - paying someone else quickly gets costly, and is not viable for many of us.

Although I appreciate the simplicity/beauty in driving the car to track, drive it hard all weekend, and drive it home Sunday afternoon, I also favor/recommend the dedicated race car (despite the complications it brings).

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

If its about racing you can stomp as much as you like on my thread. Still searching for morgan park on google. My race car has headed more towards track than road track. There are probably two things that make it an uncomfortable road car is the noise above 3500rpm and the brake squeal, so tecnicaly(GTV 27) with a bolt in cage, a spare pair of full race pads ,race fluid, semi slicks you can still be more than competitve. Konrads race GTV is also his work car sometimes when the WRX is parked in and its still highly competitive. I also disconect my front anit roll bar for road use. In 24 races i have only towed my car home once with a friends trailer.
Cage for me is most critical for the dual purpose car.(Safety first) I also remove the side bars of the cage to make it more road friendly.
My point , keep a dual set up for road car.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

East Coast Challenge 2008.

:shock: Will you look at these mongrels havin' a ball !!!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Eastcoast challenge NSW 2008 a.jpg
Eastcoast challenge NSW 2008 a.jpg (249.95 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

If I was racing (ie proper door to door racing) rather than sprinting (or time trialling as Jes called it - against the clock - although there are other cars on the track, not technically competing for the same bit of real estate) then a dedicated racer with all the safety equip and a trailer and tow car would be almost essential - there's just too much risk. Although I do have to admire the 'no fear' spirit of driving to the track anyhow (way to go Kev! 8) )

Sprinting however, it a more controllable environment. Even if somebody wants to get racy if you catch them or vise versa, you can choose to back out of it and have a quiet :roll: (or not so quiet :x ) word to them before the next run - although, I've only had to do that ONCE :twisted: .

So, sprinting can accomodate the dual purpose car, but the question is - is it a road car that is not out of place on the track, or a race car with numberplates...?

My car is the former at the moment, and was always the plan for it to remain in that form, but as one does when one comes to the end of the season, the mind turns to next year and what to do. :|
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I've been driving my car to the track for many years now (since uni days in 1997). It has a half-roll cage. But I would definitely prefer a truck and trailer.

BTW how far are your tracks from your homes? Willow Springs raceway which Jes and I go to is about 330 miles from my house. I checked and the Ring is only 400 miles from London. And I bet the scenery to the Ring is a lot better than driving from SF to LA (desert, smelly cow farms, more desert). If I was living in London I would be at the ring a couple of times a year, that is for sure.

OK back to racing, haven't done it. Only time trialed and autocross so far. Maybe at the beginning of next year I will race with Jes :D . But not this year, I'm going to Thunderhill in November :)
Dr. Alban
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Don't forget there is also the Englisch Channel between London and the Ring... :wink: And the Tunnel is not the best experience i've had...

But the driving is good here in Europe, especially in Germany where there are still autobahns where you are allowed to drive flat out. 8)

Just remember petrol is around 1,50 euro/litre over here. :(
Drive it like you stole it...
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

East coast challenge does look like fun doesn't it...
I really need to start sprinting my white car - its going to be a while before my race car is finished...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

A long desert drive? Sounds nice compared to drive through central germany with about a million trucks and 200million cars trying to use the same road. ;)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The track we are using this week end is the one sited above at Morgan Park which is around 150km from my joint and about a 2 hour drive. Most of it is through typical Aussie bushland and outer suburbs.Worst part is getting out of the big smoke.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Had a ball on the week end. The only downer was frying the clutch (I think) during the closing stages on Sunday. Oh well, you know how it is. Racing on Sunday repairing on Monday...I'l be glad when all this development finishes..
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

[quote="MD"]Had a ball on the week end. The only downer was frying the clutch.

After having a ball I need a downer too :lol:

Racing ALFA's is better than drugs but not better than sex with the right woman or women. :wink:

Spring is in air in OZ and I took my ALFA for a country drive me in my 3.3 GTV6 and my mate on his brand new V ROD what a sweet bike. I am a Ducati man but the V ROD is one bike I can see owning in the near future.
Here is a pic when he picked up the 08 VROD from the HD dealer.
Attachments
AZ's Bike.jpeg
AZ's Bike.jpeg (55.29 KiB) Viewed 7022 times
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw