Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: No longer a ''budget" race GTV

Post by kevin »

More pics of Torsion bar adjuster . I put the Autodelta one next to it. This Autodelta part I have tracked down to the GTV 8 (the 10 that were made).
Somechanges that I did was tio use a vesconite bush between spline insert and crossmember. This is the only "play" i picked up on the original.
Material used
Cross member : aluminium 7075
Spline inserts :EN19T
Levers ; Stainless 3CR12
Cams :EN8
Vesconite bushes
Polyurethane bushes (orange)

Just had to take nore off the levers as even the original touched the body on maximun point. Now its perfect
Attachments
adjustertorsionpieces.jpg
adjustertorsionpieces.jpg (73.48 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
adjtorsclose.jpg
adjtorsclose.jpg (73.02 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
adjtorsincar.jpg
adjtorsincar.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 7134 times
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

very nice work.

Re the oil lines, can you put the the one way valve on the line to the cooler (so no backflow) and then run the return line back to the box up via the body so it will not drain the cooler unless the pump is running?
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jason makes perfect sense, i already took both lines to and from box higher than pump and cooler with no valve to try out. Keep you posted.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I love the adjustable torsion bar mount. How many are you making and how much are they?

Greg
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Would be a market for them here... :)

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

GarthW wrote:Would be a market for them here... :)
And here.... :D
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I am going to look into it as I made them in batches of three and two batches have been sold already - so yeah great here but thats saturation point. Its a question of making it feasable for every one as we know Alfa owners are not exactly Rockafellas of motorsport as we are not on the Ferrari website how to get our enzos to go faster.
Good thing for you guys our currency is worth sh :!: t
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Excellent! Don't know the exchange rate for the uruguayan peso with the rand, but I'm sure it's better than the euro! Every time I buy something over there I have to wipe my tears!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ok, so i wont export myself but i can supply an agent or alfa tuner here to export. I will move this over to vendor but ideas on pricing are welcome. This exporter wants to mark up torsion bar adjuster to 950 US dollars.
Was looking at subito adjusters with bolt type , they are 1500 Euros - ouch .
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

kevin wrote:Ok, so i wont export myself but i can supply an agent or alfa tuner here to export. I will move this over to vendor but ideas on pricing are welcome. This exporter wants to mark up torsion bar adjuster to 950 US dollars.
Was looking at subito adjusters with bolt type , they are 1500 Euros - ouch .
As long as it's reasonable it should be fine, how much does the part weight?

Also, how much is shipping to Europe these days from South Africa?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I have been doing quite a bit of testing of my race car lately on public roads before i take it to track to do suspension set ups. I prefer to stay away from the heavy fines imposed at the race tracks for spilling oil so rather leave any mishaps for the public roads. ( been testing gearbox cooler set up etc)
There have been a few issues which i am glad i have sorted out but something strange happened in steering today. Firstly i have just had the steering rack bushes replaced and serviced with new boots. I did not oversee it but got a reputable agent to do it.
Anyway after about 30 mins of driving with hot engine bay temps i noticed the steering getting stiffer especially when you come around corners i had to help steering back to center . I put the car on trestles and tested again and it was still stiffer than normal. Steering wheel was still centre so nothing moved there. Tyres were still perfect pressure . Castor arms were still tight. The car still pulled straight under braking.
Is it possible heat could have tightened up the rack ( seriously doubt it) .
Anyone have any ideas?
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

I once noticed heavy steering after having a steering column switched. The u-joints in the connecting piece between column and steeringbox were the cause, they were half-seized and wouldn't move smooth. That caudes my steering to be rather vague.

Only thing i can think of is that they used too tight a bush, so when the heat comes it gets sort of stuck. :| Wrong type of grease is not really possible i would think. The heat would make it more fluid so no problem there i think.
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I took car out again yesterday and the steering was light again. so definately something has tightened up under heat. So I will take rack out again and inspect myself . Funny thing is I have never taken rack out when engine is in car so should be a little struggle.

Jason , Md ,Ben (took your advice)- on oil cooler issue I raised return and filter pipe above cooler then put in normal 2.9 litres. I then ran pump , waited 10 mins and then opened filler plug and filled until level with plug . normally when I fill level with put in 2.9litres. Now that cooler and pipes were full I put another 1litres in. So i am confident its not overfulled or running short. I also tidied up breather into secure reservoir. Did more testing and no probs.

Anyway here are some pics of car at alignment ,below is before pic but ended up with equal castor just under 6deg. i have really pushed body work in at back of arch. Its always good to be allowed free access into my friends workshop and set alignment. He always argues that I should be running toe out with my driving style but he does not understand I dont have any style . I just go as fast I can without taking anyone out and rely on excessive power for lack of skill and no fear under braking - so far so good. :wall:
Attachments
group1specs.jpg
group1specs.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 6857 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

pic of car on alignment bay. See how those one piece fiberglass bumpers look like the originals at fraction of weight. Note spare wheel shoved in back of car incase i got puncture on route.
Attachments
group1bumpbrma.jpg
group1bumpbrma.jpg (64.66 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Car looks good - like the graphics.

Not much camber going on there? I'd expect 3.xx (was that upped in the after?)

Also ,factory setting was a small amount of toe out (?amt) so maybe your friend is right (not about the style issue, obviously) - toe out will address any reluctance to turn, but is prob less relevant with soo much castor - can't remember what my gtv6 got when I sprinted it - will try to find settings.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre