Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Re: No longer a ''budget" race GTV

Post by PietereQ »

Any luck Kevin? :)

Btw. My uniballs have arrived, I have ordered the ones with ID of 10mm (for stock bolts holding the rods to the chassis). The tread is also M10, which seems a bit fragile to me. Will it hold the beating from all those lateral g's?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

PietereQ, the lenght of rod is 44cm long. The uniballs are M12 with inserts where it bolts to chasis. check pics. you can see the bushes I made for chassis side, there attached with cable ties(not to loose them).
Attachments
IMG01322-20100801-2016.jpg
IMG01322-20100801-2016.jpg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 7091 times
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Thanks Kevin, that helps a lot! Still wondering whether to tap the rods or just weld the nuts on the ends. The id of rod is 10.90 mm so I dunno if the grooves of thread will be deep enough for M12, need to check it in the shop.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

PietereQ, is not cheaper just to get a complete watts linkage from RS as youre in Europe unlike me with our import duties and freight its cheaper to buy a small car.

Quite excited about the new '' super lightweight '' front bumper spoiler combination for racing or for road. The combo unit is especially usefull for ultra low cars when loading onto trailers. Its moulded off the origional GTV 3.0 SA model front spoiler.
The only ''loose'' part are the side trims as you need to fasten the bumper on sides to body as per origional design. The combo unit is made from two moulds (bumper and spoiler) in order to maintain origional looks.

Check out pics pf progression to get to this point
Attachments
IMG01332-20100803-1356.jpg
IMG01332-20100803-1356.jpg (60.92 KiB) Viewed 6980 times
IMG01333-20100803-1402.jpg
IMG01333-20100803-1402.jpg (74.57 KiB) Viewed 6979 times
IMG01170-20100611-1154.jpg
IMG01170-20100611-1154.jpg (43.13 KiB) Viewed 6978 times
IMG01169-20100611-1151.jpg
IMG01169-20100611-1151.jpg (50.6 KiB) Viewed 6982 times
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Man i wish i was that clever to make things like that, Kevin they look great. Still grumpy about the bonnet!!! maybe you need to move to Aussie and bring all your clever stuff with you. Brisbane is magic.

Tom
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

fortom, i think you gotta be stupid to make parts for a 26year old car. :)
There has been surprising a lot of interest for the parts (rear bumper, front bumper, spoiler, spoilercombo and 3.0 boonet) so a friend of mine has decided to export this stuff from my moulds. This stuff is so light. As julian is now flying to SA on a semi regular basis maybe he can load a whole kit for you. Dont want to talk prices on this link as its not a vendor section but will work out something .
Trying to finish clutch still but got major problem with cnc machine as its cutting concaves which should be convexes. Waiting for help to find problem when downloading from laptop to cnc (corruption of G2, and g3's).
Theunis
Silver
Silver

Post by Theunis »

Kevin,

Do you have front bumper/spoiler combo and rear bumpers available? Can you please PM me availability and price. I'm in Centurion.

Thanks

T
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Theunis, sent you pm.
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Kevin that could be a plan, just need to get the car from New Zealand hopefully in the next month and get it roadworthy here in in Brisbane then we will talk.

Cheers
Tom
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

No problem, look forward to it.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin, you still need to fix your alternator problems?
Attachments
Sizing down alternators.jpg
Sizing down alternators.jpg (116.16 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
Sizing down alternators 2.jpg
Sizing down alternators 2.jpg (126.33 KiB) Viewed 6469 times
Up size pulley 2.jpg
Up size pulley 2.jpg (111.02 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Trying to finish clutch still but got major problem with cnc machine as its cutting concaves which should be convexes. Waiting for help to find problem when downloading from laptop to cnc (corruption of G2, and g3's).
Kevin, you can edit the program in the cnc machine likely faster than you can troubleshoot you cam software. You should be single stepping thru the program on the machine anyway when you do the setup, so just make the changes there. All that should change is the G code and the + or - values. You should see it in the tool path display also.

hth,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Been away for a while but back until end Jan then off to UK. Sofar stripped race car completely to redo roll cage. As I was putting all fiberglass parts on I stripped paintwork and resprayed it in my drive again.
Faaaargh my spraying has got worse. Did a great job last time but now I got a lot of sanding and polishing to do.
Fiberglass panels include bonnet, boot lid,front bumper and spoiler , rear bumper, and doors. Saved 70kg over origional parts. Doors are now 5kg compared to 25kg. Bootlid is 4 compared to 14 kg.
I have re made engine mounts and lined engine up to gearbox. That was fun . Used old block . Pics can only explain that crazy task. Interesting to see how the original mounts were offset ie 3mm and 13 mm between L and R . Oh ,
Put fiberglass dash in , another 5kg but got old clocks as gonna run a few street legal events. They can only fine me for exhaust out side with one box.

Will post pics some time but need to ask question on Oil Temp unit ?
Do I put temp probe on Out line of oil cooler going to bearings so I know coolers is doing job and bearing are getting correct temp oil OR
Put it on in line to cooler so I know that oil is exiting bearings at good temp and I don't have and problems with bearings. I need to assume cooler is doing .
Yeah , put two probes but got one only.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

......end Jan then off to UK.
...and you think they are going to let you in !! HAHAAA, fat chance. :D :D

Maybe if you arrived in an "Austin of England", they might. :D
Attachments
UK Ticket.jpg
UK Ticket.jpg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Finally after a year I got my engine back in race car. So hopefully work will continue and car will be on track soon. Car is all white at this stage , was thinking of doing some form of retro stickers on it. Not sure maybe Martini, Malboro any ideas?