Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: No longer a ''budget" race GTV

Post by kevin »

As mentioned in last post I had to pack up my garage so it was pretty difficult getting car ready working out of a basement parking with no electricity . So I missed practice on Friday and arrived late for qualifying as the trailer I hired did not tilt to load my race car . So once again had to pack race car and drive to track . Qualifying was horrendous as ambient temp was 4degrees and I did not even have time to check my tyre pressures which I later checked were 2.8 bar . A full bar higher than normal . Also I had a new set of rubber with zero heat cycles in them .
Everything was looking gloomy but in the two hours before the first race I managed to get all my checks in place including getting Dawie from Glenwood to listen to a " rumble" in engine which he explained was my new cam belt I put in two weeks previously . It was slightly loose with my fixed adjuster . Note you won't get any noise with a hydraulic or spring tensioner. As the engine warmed up the noise went away . You could actually see the cam belt oscillating( vibrating) near the pulley at 900rpm with my wild cams . At least my mind was at ease now .
Anyway all went extremely well the rest of the day with posting the fastest lap times amongst all thirty Alfas consistently . I started at the back of the grid and managed to overtake 28 cars in eight laps . It was serious high speed TV games . This 3.7 proved once again totally reliable and still no gearbox failures . What an absolute blast to drive even though there were some huge slides at 160 km/h which I tthought I would never catch . The the only problem on this car is trying o push 192kw on the wheels through the tiny 205 /50/ 15 inch semi slicks . I think these tyres and breaking of traction is probably why my gearbox is lasting so long . Also combined with correct gearbox oil ( Redline 75w90NS) , gearbox cooler , outboard brakes and exhaust out the side I have taken so much heat out the box .
Once again I was the only idiot who drove home ( 60km) after the race. :D
There are some clips I will post of me driving to track in darkness testing the motor . ( men behaving badly) hey and thanks to all forum guys for advice getting this car to be so much fun and reliable .
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Nice read. :)

Starting at the back of the pack with a quick car is FUN! :D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yeah , having a seriously quick car makes up for a lot of errors as well :oops:
dawie botha
Silver
Silver

Post by dawie botha »

Just read this story from page 1,very nice reading.Would love to see you in action on the track.
plse let me know when u race again,will try to come down from Tzaneen to have a look.
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

some pics of LAST minute Oil Cooler issues... just before race
Attachments
kevin 12.jpg
kevin 12.jpg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
kevin 11.jpg
kevin 11.jpg (43.94 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
kevin 10.jpg
kevin 10.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
kevin 9.jpg
kevin 9.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 7868 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

My new workshop is a communal basement parking. Every time I want to start the car I have to push it 50m into the open otherwise all the mother grundies start complaining . Probably do one hectic burnout in here when I leave :D these people simply don't appreciate an alfa orchestra :wink:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Not sure if this link will work . Pic of how Alfas handling sneaks past big hp cobras . Ironically this cobra pretty similar in acceleration up the back straight with my 3.7
http://www.zoc.co.za/photo/showimg.php? ... 0Snake.jpg
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

How often should one change the gearbox oil under racing conditions :?: :?: . I do have cooler , NO temp gauge yet and running redline 75w90 NS . Race session last about total of 50 mins per event . I guess if money was no object then every race but it's not F1 .
I must say since Jes suggested this oil I have not broken a gearbox in two seasons . Best oil ever on synchros and ls works brilliantly on LS. As been an NS oil it does chatter (LS)when you move the car around in the pits - but redline did explain that .
Ps Md where you hiding mate ?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I'm still recovering from being 3 weeks on the road so to speak enjoying a touring holiday in my GTV6. I joined an event held by a Chapter of the Victorian Alfa car club and spent some time around the Victorian Alps as part of my tour. Had a ball.

Regarding the oil change, I don't think anyone is going to come up with a definitive answer for you as it would depend on some analysis data that would reveal the residual oil qualities as well as the level of particulates and so I don't see you getting swamped by replies.

I think your simple solution will be as good as any and just change the oil by experimentation, say after a dozen races or annually-what ever comes first. I honestly don't think the lubricating qualities of the oil will actually change unless it is overheated and it doesn't sound like you have that problem.

Some guys here have been using this oil in road cars and haven't changed it in four years without problems to give you a clue.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks md , in will give oil change a miss for a while but put one of those temperature stickers on . See what box temperature actually gets to .
That trip in the snowy mountains sounds awesome . Last time I drove from Sydney to Melbourne I wanted to do it but kinda got stuck on the coastal towns of Bermagui and a little further down in Eden . I wanted to do a tour of the water scheme but my co driver ( wife ) was not to excited with idea then but now she knows what she missed out on from other friends visits into the parks there .
I take it you did not do that hiking trail ( walking track)- takes a few weeks - the full Lenght is 650 km :D
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

A temp guage can't hurt.
As an outside possibility, contacting the the oil company that makes it for an opinion about your circumstance may provide some recommendations for you (hopefully an honest one). After all, they would have plenty of testing records to go by.

..er walking ? what's that? The only place I walk to is the khazi only 'cause I can't drive there. :mrgreen:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Nice pic Kevin!

I think you should FILM a burnout in that car park!
Fixing it bit by bit....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Update : well two race meetings have passed since last report and guess what
1) the 3.7 motor has not missed a beat or used much oil ( thank goodness no water) - but a truckload off fuel :D
2) the gearbox and prop is all still in one piece
BUT as mentioned probably 100 times I never use second gear other than pulling off . Some guys whi have not followed this thread probably think that I'm mad but the huge torque with our current tracks it's not necessary . I'm getting up 185km/h on the last track . The only thing is the fiberglass door frames start opening up a bit :D
My lap times are still coming down but lack of concentration on final lap on Saturday trying avoid a 3 car crash allowed two 500 hp cobras to power past on final corner . Aaaaargghhh.

Now I have started another project even without a workshop which is really difficult but it's a Sacrilegious project :wall:
I have taken a perfect gtv 6 and cut the whole tunnel out and stitched in perfect BMW 3 tunnel . I have got the long ratio alfa sei diff, a BMW 328 5speed gearbox ((1:1fifth) and proper adaptor made .
I am busy with a clutch and flywheel set up which works perfectly with the flat BMW thrust bearing ( ie the clutch fingers are curved) .
The roll cage has been superbly welded in and runs right through to front suspension .
I am currently trying to make engine bay diagonal brace that ties in below the windscreen wiper . ( md has put pressure on me to do a proper brace - I swear I am sending him the bill for this !)
It's gonna be really interesting to see how the car handles .
All the specs and measurements I will post up and iff anyone is interested And wants to butcher their GTV I can put them in touch with the guys who have made specific bolt on parts for me .
The motor will be the 3.7 and my aim now is to use 1st , 2nd gear until my hearts content without breaking anything . I will also run much wider rubber at the rear with flaring the arches too noticeable . This car must look identical to a SA GTV 3.0 .
I have a lot of pics with work up to date which I will post .

Ps : still have not changed engine or gearbox oil after three races . I better do it for two weeks time. ( final race of season )
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Update : well two race meetings have passed since last report and guess what
1) the 3.7 motor has not missed a beat or used much oil ( thank goodness no water) - but a truckload off fuel :D
2) the gearbox and prop is all still in one piece
BUT as mentioned probably 100 times I never use second gear other than pulling off . Some guys whi have not followed this thread probably think that I'm mad but the huge torque And with our current tracks it's not necessary . I'm getting up 185km/h on the last track . The only thing is the fiberglass door frames start opening up a bit :D
My lap times are still coming down but lack of concentration on final lap on Saturday trying avoid a 3 car crash allowed two 500 hp cobras to power past on final corner . Aaaaargghhh.

Now I have started another project even without a workshop which is really difficult but it's a Sacrilegious project :wall:
I have taken a perfect gtv 6 and cut the whole tunnel out and stitched in perfect BMW 3 tunnel . I have got the long ratio alfa sei diff, a BMW 328 5speed gearbox ((1:1fifth) and proper adaptor made .
I am busy with a clutch and flywheel set up which works perfectly with the flat BMW thrust bearing ( ie the clutch fingers are curved) .
The roll cage has been superbly welded in and runs right through to front suspension .
I am currently trying to make engine bay diagonal brace that ties in below the windscreen wiper . ( md has put pressure on me to do a proper brace - I swear I am sending him the bill for this !)
It's gonna be really interesting to see how the car handles .
All the specs and measurements I will post up and iff anyone is interested And wants to butcher their GTV I can put them in touch with the guys who have made specific bolt on parts for me .
The motor will be the 3.7 and my aim now is to use 1st , 2nd gear until my hearts content without breaking anything . I will also run much wider rubber at the rear with flaring the arches too noticeable . This car must look identical to a SA GTV 3.0 .
I have a lot of pics with work up to date which I will post .

Ps : still have not changed engine or gearbox oil after three races . I better do it for two weeks time. ( final race of season )
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

That sounds like a very nice car... :P

How long is the long Sei diff? I've three of those diffs lying around and i think 2 of them are 4,27 and the last one is a 3,68 or something like that, not very long unfortunately. The two short ones are just for parts i think, they are far too short for me. :(

The beemer box is 1:1 in fifth gear so you'll easily end up with rather short gearing. But for a track car that's not to bad i guess.

What do you do for a propshaft?

looking forward to seeing pics. :mrgreen:
Drive it like you stole it...