Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Roll cages - all alfa's

Post by kevin »

An interesting roll cage design on a 105 series, especially on A pillar .pics not good quality as from phone.
Attachments
bertgtv1.jpg
bertgtv1.jpg (122.72 KiB) Viewed 13129 times
bertgtv2.jpg
bertgtv2.jpg (117.52 KiB) Viewed 13127 times
bertgtv3.jpg
bertgtv3.jpg (117.71 KiB) Viewed 13123 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Roll cages - all alfa's

Post by MD »

Kevin

Had a quick look at this design and posted some comments perhaps for the next one?

err.. sorry about the typo errors. :oops:

Whis = why
Rool = roll
Attachments
Cage1a.jpg
Cage1a.jpg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 13092 times
Cage 2a.jpg
Cage 2a.jpg (110.78 KiB) Viewed 13091 times
Cage3a.jpg
Cage3a.jpg (100.01 KiB) Viewed 13087 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Yeah, I think interesting is a euphamism for wrong - creative sure, but not sound fundamental engineering. Its not hard - straight lines and triangulation. That would not pass muster here.

Shame to see so much effort and material being expended on so little actual protection.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

MD wrote:Kevin

Had a quick look at this design and posted some comments perhaps for the next one?

err.. sorry about the typo errors. :oops:

Whis = why
Rool = roll

MD

Nice points!

I thought you were taking the "whis out of the Sert Efrican accent in your description of the suspect "rool" cage. :D

John.
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Yeah John. "twas a bit rushed cause I had something else I wanted to do and I got caught up in the engineering and overlooked the friggin typos. :oops:

I figure lots of guys cruise in and out of this forum. Some are registered and some are not but I just felt that I wouldn't want people to just accept that cage set up and make one the same without seeing some discussion on it first. Hence my tcw.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

There are a couple of points that are somewhat contradicted in the FIA rulebook though. "Helmet crucher" have max measurements and the upper side bar cannot sit higher then halfway up in the door (the actual projected hole). So they can seldom meet at the main hoop. Also, the rules force a second door bar, an X or similar. I just put a second bar in myself, as low as possible to make egress easier. Some rules stipulate maximum mounting points so the cross bar might not be allowed to weld or bolt to the tunnel.
The points where all the bars meet at the top of the main hoop look seriously stupid though as do the "A-pillar".

There is hopefully something going on here that we don't know about... :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Yesterday I have finally appointed gtv6 for roll cage install in Febuary. The company did a roll cage for a hillclimb 75 before, so making a cage for mine shouldnt be a biggy. The cage on my gtv6 will be similar to the one they did before, exept for mine is gonna have tubes going to the shock towers:

kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD,Mats thats exactly the comments I was looking for as there are many guys here in SA buliding cages with no clue as we are not really governed by anyone unless you are in our top level touring car racing where all the cages are made with the car in Europe.
Question about dash for side crush, is why do you need it if the bulk head is a strong enough section in itself just like the sill in the bottom caption. If the roll cage is connected on A pillar at top of bulk head then it will help transfer load.
I think this thread could help alot of new guys and existing to recheck there cages, I know mine is really bad hence starting again.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

PietereQ

I think your proposed cage is much more orthodox and to the point. As with any cage it's a matter of small choices here and there which way you want to go so it becomes a personal outcome within reason. However on balance, that cage should do the job well enough without any changes.

Kevin,

SA seems to have plenty of good innovation happening with mechanical stuff and it doesn't quite ad up that they do not make good roll cages. Only based on what I have seen on some forums, the Dutch are great innovators and fabricators. The German stuff is more often than not way too tough. Then I suppose we get into regulations as Mats says .Like you guys ,our rules are very rubbery. Most of the cages that are prescribed here are too minimalist for my liking but if you deviate from the rule book, technically if you want it approved , you have to get a private engineer to certify it. I know calculations help but how you put your name to such a thing without testing the design to destruction beats me but that's bureaucracy for ya.

As for the dash bar, it works best if you triangulate through the firewall to the inside guard rails above the dampers but this can cause other engine fitting probelms. Personally, I like to also triangulate acrosss the firewall between A pillars for added leg protection if the engine gets pushed into the cabin but it's all weight so it's up to you.

The following pics are not of Alfas but the principles are the same.
Attachments
Rear Shock Turret.jpg
Rear Shock Turret.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 12940 times
Under dash.jpg
Under dash.jpg (59.81 KiB) Viewed 12937 times
BMW E46 full front view.jpg
BMW E46 full front view.jpg (73.83 KiB) Viewed 12934 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The whole point of the cage is to keep the body as large as possible during an incident. A cross bar under the dash ties the two sides of the cage together in a section where the oly thing keeping it apart is the bar across the top of the windscreen. Very weak section indeed (looking at the roll cage as a separate unit), yes the firewall and windshield frame helps a lot but in a severe side crash the bar will be very welcome indeed. It also has some secondary benefits that you might not realize at first; You cab use it for mounting the steering and pedals and thus keeping those under good control in a crash (i.e. not coming further into the cabin). As for the solid feeling in the pedals, have a look at the firewall when someone is pushing the pedals and you will see why you also want the pedals to be solidly mounted in the cage rahter then the flimsy sheet metal...

The FIA technical rulebook is a great source for cage design, it's based on experience with real race crashes and therefore produce safe cages that are not too heavy. They also focus on stuff like getting out of the car quickly which can be a problem if you make the car as stiff as possible engineering wise (makes a spider-web in the door hole...). The rule book also have loads of sketches of both cages and specific parts like how pipes should meet and how to design removable bars, gussets and body tie-in points.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some more cage design . Not 100 % correct according to FIA but alot better than my bolt in cage.
Attachments
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG (69.3 KiB) Viewed 12542 times
IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3401.JPG (95.21 KiB) Viewed 12545 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin,

Good but not all is rosy. See comments.
In addition to the comments in the photo.The hipline of the main hoop has a bend in it without any horizontal control. If the car lands on its roof, I suggest the hoop will continue to bend outwards as there is "nothing"to prevent it from moving out the "B" pillar.

The two hipline bends need to be joined by a horizontal bar at least.

Finally, there is no apprent gusseting to the body work anywhere, A/B pillars,dashboard, etc. Doing that reduces body flex particularly if it is seam welded as well.
Attachments
Roll Cage Mod Suggestions.jpg
Roll Cage Mod Suggestions.jpg (79.27 KiB) Viewed 12509 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Good comments. Im going to copy this cage with additional extras as you mentioned. Sketch them in. Im gonna post pics of the engine for this car under another thread. What do you think of fuel tank . Rules state it must be compartmentlised.
LacUS
Silver
Silver

Post by LacUS »

So guys, this is my rollcage.
The cage is made by FIA standards it can be homologated to race the car in any FIA race.

LacUS
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Very nice, I'd add one more tube per side though - from the main hoop where the upper door bar hits, to the rear leg base (gives a load transfer path from the door bars to somehwere usefull).
I'd also add a bar accross the main hoop where that bend is half way up - stops the legs bowing out if you park ity on it's roof, and also helps stop it folding in if you get t-boned...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)