Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Re: Pricing for Alfetta Race Car.

Post by SydneyJules »

Now I think I get it- your GT3 class is like our Sport Sedan class- wider guards allowed, must retain factory roofline, spoiler no higher than roof, tube frame allowed etc... but it appears your rules are more strict than ours- why you would build a car like that for an NA 8v TS seems crazy to me.... it needs a Hewland/Hollinger and a turbo setup!

That is a very good looking GTV.

The frame work looks really nice and it's very well presented- the airbox setup for the TS looks great and overall, I don't think you could build a car like that for 50k!

Do what Jes says- take it to a chassis builder who knows what he's looking at. If the suspension has been done well and the thing handles, with growth potential built in, then you may be onto a good thing, Chuck!

And yes. paint it something a little less green if you get it!
Fixing it bit by bit....
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hello Sydnesjules, we are doing the first PPI tomorrow. Phil is already familar with this car so I am not too worried about the set up. Jon will porvide phone support so it's not too scarry on the transfer of knowlege from Jon to us. I will also get the GT3 specifications and build sheet. We think it has a hewland/hollinger set up. We think the hp is 250 and is pretty much tweaked in that regards. We think that it is race ready but we won't know that until we test drive it. They were going to run it at the first CSRG event for Alfa's 100 yr anniversity during lunch but they were too busy preparing the other GTV race car for Jon. I was late anyway so I guess they did not want to go to the trouble. I tried to get there earlier but was tied up in a prior meeting. We have been thinking of this for sometime but we wanted to complete our first project before we started the next one. We have definately decided that we are not going to track our current GTV6 since we spent to much energy setting it up as a custom street car. To put a cage, etc does not make sense at this point. Therefore we are going to start over and have a track specific GTV. We do wish it was a V6 but we think you are correct about the GT3 rules did not allow this. We think the weight is substanally lighter which hopefully will make up for the lower hp. In terms of handling, we think there will be no comparison due to the wider trick set up than anything we could do with the stock unibody. Jon hopefully we also refer us to the actual chasis builder incase we need to manufacture spare parts. The biggest negitive is it is not eligible for CSRG which is were we want to be. You need to have a 67 gtv or older. However I personally like the alfetta body style more but I think I am the only one. Of course who would not want a gtva or gtvam but your talking major bucks for the purchase and it would be a slightly slower alfa but again I could be wrong as well. Jon's other race car is a gtva clone and it is very fast indeed. He stays up with the corvettes,mustangs, and camero's of his similar class. Anyway, were not so concerned about winning, just a hobby for fun and social events.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hello Sydnesjules, we are doing the first PPI tomorrow. Phil is already familar with this car so I am not too worried about the set up. Jon will porvide phone support so it's not too scarry on the transfer of knowlege from Jon to us. I will also get the GT3 specifications and build sheet. We think it has a hewland/hollinger set up. We think the hp is 250 and is pretty much tweaked in that regards. We think that it is race ready but we won't know that until we test drive it. They were going to run it at the first CSRG event for Alfa's 100 yr anniversity during lunch but they were too busy preparing the other GTV race car for Jon. I was late anyway so I guess they did not want to go to the trouble. I tried to get there earlier but was tied up in a prior meeting. We have been thinking of this for sometime but we wanted to complete our first project before we started the next one. We have definately decided that we are not going to track our current GTV6 since we spent to much energy setting it up as a custom street car. To put a cage, etc does not make sense at this point. Therefore we are going to start over and have a track specific GTV. We do wish it was a V6 but we think you are correct about the GT3 rules did not allow this. We think the weight is substanally lighter which hopefully will make up for the lower hp. In terms of handling, we think there will be no comparison due to the wider trick set up than anything we could do with the stock unibody. Jon hopefully we also refer us to the actual chasis builder incase we need to manufacture spare parts. The biggest negitive is it is not eligible for CSRG which is were we want to be. You need to have a 67 gtv or older. However I personally like the alfetta body style more but I think I am the only one. Of course who would not want a gtva or gtvam but your talking major bucks for the purchase and it would be a slightly slower alfa but again I could be wrong as well. Jon's other race car is a gtva clone and it is very fast indeed. He stays up with the corvettes,mustangs, and camero's of his similar class. Anyway, were not so concerned about winning, just a hobby for fun and social events.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

This is a nice car, however if it is more than $50K, I personally wouldn't buy it. Because:
1) Does it have any historic value so it can maintain its price?
2) Is it competitive?

If no, I would look at something else. From what I read, it seems you want:
1) an Alfa
2) is fully and professionally built race car
3) is fun on the track

If this is the case, I would go for something more recent. For example a 147 2.0 GTA Cup car or a 147 2.0 Super Production (below $40K euro) with >220 bhp.

http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/2 ... 7_GTA.html

These are FWD cars which could be much easier to drive and have fun with. Or with the same kind of money you could get top racing cars from other marques.

However I suspect you want to stick with Alfas. Remember that while the parts are not available locally, 147 suspension components are widely available across Europe and some of the non-super touring spec race cars might still maintain most of the factory parts which will make spare parts easier to get. Maintenance wise, if Phil can fix a 164 24V, he won't have any problems with a 147,

The 147/156 cars are quite fast once setup properly. Here is a video showing a tube frame 75 2.0 16V (engine from a BTCC 155) wide body vs a 147 2.0 GTA race car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVfrMp_6pMQ

Of course you have to factor in the import taxes and shipping. But I think this would be a much more fun car to have.

The 147 may not have any historic value, but it would be very unique to the US.
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

yes,yes, but do they come in green ???
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

OK MD, you win, if you want green, transaxle, "historical" value and maybe hysterical value too:
Attachments
top_gear_75.jpg
top_gear_75.jpg (71.64 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
Dr. Alban
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Zamani,

Thanks for your post. I'll let you know if we get it. The PPI is actually tommorrow. I misread my calandar. Cool Video that 147. I thought this board preferred rear wheel drive cars over the front wheel? Anyway, importing a 147 is not in my plan.

I don't think this Alfa has any historial value except that it is Jon Nomans Car. I think it is competive against the Alfas but most likely the Toyota's and Nissans are faster. Then again, we will probally run it 2-4 times a year and display it at Club Auto Sport in San Jose the rest of the time. This is just my crazy hobby and I really should not even buy another Alfa.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

He is the only one :roll:

FWD is easier to go fast in though!
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.