Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: The Orange Cab -MD's New Racer

Post by MD »

Got an empty nest syndrome.
There is an empty bay in my garage.
Tha Cab's been taken away to the suspension shop to get the settings calibrated so we'll soon see what dramas are up coming..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Ah finally some more news.

Seeing it's almost Christmas, here are some more photos to round off the visuals about this car. The two distributors will not be used and the engine and other things still need finishing ie.wiring loom.

I hope it gives someone some inspiration to do your own thing.

It's a bit of a show pony granted but isnt that half the fun?
Attachments
Project  1.JPG
Project 1.JPG (93.41 KiB) Viewed 6578 times
Project 2.JPG
Project 2.JPG (94.7 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Engine 2.JPG
Engine 2.JPG (125.94 KiB) Viewed 6577 times
Engine 1.JPG
Engine 1.JPG (116.06 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

..and a few more to get the whole idea I suppose..
Attachments
Project 3.JPG
Project 3.JPG (99.43 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
Project 4.JPG
Project 4.JPG (107.24 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
Project 5.JPG
Project 5.JPG (101.62 KiB) Viewed 6572 times
Project 6.JPG
Project 6.JPG (83.4 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

it is different but i like it :D
the colour combination works well i think,
what brakes have you got on it or plan? and will u be using individual mastercylinders and a balance bar?
and those extractors look very nice 8)
79 GTV (sr20) 83 GTV (TS) 85 GTV, 76 GT, 84 GTV6, 91 164, 88 75 TS & 89 75 TS
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Nice work Emm Dee! You've been a busy boy.
They look a lot like FD RX7 (5x114.3) rims. New, modified hubs or PCD conversion spacers?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Duk-one ; skip one ; jump one... :D Hiya fella.

Only 'cause you're a sharp one..
PCD and bore conversion plus spacer plates for offset changes plus outboard rear brakes.

Lots of stuffing around and serious bucks.
buzzed
Silver
Silver

Post by buzzed »

I like stumbling across threads after there's some catching up to be done, makes for good reading. Thanks for the link Mike.

She's coming along very nicely, some serious effort has gone into the brake setup I see, looks like dia. 300mm ish at the front...can't quite see..AP calipers? So if you run stock spacers on the rear where the inboards used to be, does this mean you bolt the disk to between the wheel and cv, effectively spacing the rear rims out (not sure of offsets on s4 rx7's but guess the offset being rwd are not that different to Alfa..) Do the brackets for the claipers get bolted/welded to the dedion some how?

Good luck with the propshaft, I like the way you try different options all the time, good way to learn. Have you put much effort in the liughtening the car past what can be seen in the photos?

cheers
Mike
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Mike, glad you're getting something out of this topic set. I might be wrong but my gut reaction to members of this Forum is that they have a passion for transaxles but not so much in the sense that they want to make concourse cars out of them but more so to either get them warm for the street or perculating for the track. :mrgreen: So lots of guys either visiting or building are keen to learn more about the machine and its possible enhancements, inlcuding me.

Please feel free to make your own contributions as I know you have a lot to offer.

Regarding the conversions. The hubs are converted using a 12mm aircraft grade alloy front and rear to mount the wheel studs. That increases track by 24mm. I am using 50mm offset rims so that will only increase the track by 14mm front and rear (I think).The wheels are centred on a revised centre ring size to suit wheel specs. This is a standard approach of mine because Alfa stud patterns for racing are not freely available and if they become a special order then the cost is prohibitive.The pattern I use is a standard Ford one and that means a big wheel choice that is much cheaper and less hassle to get.

I have been working in close collaboration with Daniel (on this Forum) who now runs a little business catering for engineering solutions for modifications us guys are always wanting to do. If you are local to Brisbane, ad him to your contacts list . Just be sure you allow enough time for him to slot the work in.

No specific weight reduction like material substituion as that is beyond the budget for this car. Target weight is around 950kg but that is just a guess really. When the Cab gets off the scales, I will post the actual results.

The shaft ? Well, that's like the quest for the holy grail. Ultimatley, I might need the help of Harrison Ford himself to find the answer !!
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

WOW MD...NICE!!!!!!

I love the orange and black combo! Sweet.

Northern territory colors??
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thanks man.

No, the colours were roughly inspired by one of our local aircraft mob called "Jetstar". Plain white was never going to do it.
Attachments
Jetstar Local Carrier.jpg
Jetstar Local Carrier.jpg (139.39 KiB) Viewed 6431 times
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Hit them up for some sponsorship :D
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Will the person who beat up MD's car with an ugly stick raise his hands? :wall: :mrgreen:
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Yeah Zamani, I like you too.. :D
Bring your magnetic boots so you can join me in the deep south and we'll go for a burn !!
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

MD wrote:Hi Mike, glad you're getting something out of this topic set. I might be wrong but my gut reaction to members of this Forum is that they have a passion for transaxles but not so much in the sense that they want to make concourse cars out of them but more so to either get them warm for the street or perculating for the track. :mrgreen: So lots of guys either visiting or building are keen to learn more about the machine and its possible enhancements, inlcuding me.
I think you're spot on about the forum, it's definitely full of what I would call enthusiasts, not just chequebook owners/restorers.
Personally I think it's in the whole spirit of an Alfa Romeo to improve it for even better performance, I'm sure the original designers and assembly like workers would enjoy seeing their cars used in this way rather than coveted in a climate controlled garage!
If Alfa Romeo hadn't been financially crippled for the last 10 years or so, I'm also sure we'd have seen many of their new cars very much follow the performance tangent, and if anyone was to have built a factory track/club sort car that would've worked well, it would've been Alfa. They may still do so soon, who knows!
I've enjoyed seeing your track car, it's given me lots of ideas, not that I'm modifying to the extent of your car, but ideas are ideas!

Regards, Andrew.
rallyalfa
Silver
Silver

Post by rallyalfa »

Jason, you are right - it is my old rally car which I then sold to Martin!! Pic attached....
Attachments
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG (69.89 KiB) Viewed 6245 times