Attachments
sa_race_2.jpg
sa_race_2.jpg (18.63 KiB) Viewed 10440 times
Maurizio Bianco
Silver
Silver

Re: Nico Bianco

Post by Maurizio Bianco »

fortom wrote:One pic of the car when it was red.

Thank you very much. The way to check that it is the actual car is to look at the floor near the box because the flywheeel once broke on the dyno and went through the floor into the interior !!!!!!!
drivers71
Silver
Silver

Post by drivers71 »

Maurizio - It's a real pleasure to see you on here.
I've been trying to piece together the race history of the 3 litre Autodelta GTV6 cars, since importing one to England from SA earlier this year. Is there a book, or magazines you could suggest, please? I'll be seeing Derek Bell next month, and wonder if you could tell me when and where he drove with the team in SA?
I'd like to get my facts right before I question him!
I had several GTV6 cars during the 1980s, and raced one during the 1990s - Now I have the ultimate version of a great Alfa, and I'm most interested in the racing history of these cars.
Rich Harman
England
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Maurizio, im out of town most of time at moment but will be back this week to contact owner.
Maurizio Bianco
Silver
Silver

drivers71 wrote:Maurizio - It's a real pleasure to see you on here.
I've been trying to piece together the race history of the 3 litre Autodelta GTV6 cars, since importing one to England from SA earlier this year. Is there a book, or magazines you could suggest, please? I'll be seeing Derek Bell next month, and wonder if you could tell me when and where he drove with the team in SA?
I'd like to get my facts right before I question him!
I had several GTV6 cars during the 1980s, and raced one during the 1990s - Now I have the ultimate version of a great Alfa, and I'm most interested in the racing history of these cars.
Rich Harman
England

Hi Rich,

Derek Bell drove with us in the 2-hour at Kyalami in 1983. He was partnered with Nico and they finished 5th due to a faulty fuel cap. Would have been second. Race was won by D'Oliveira which was the first win by a 3.0 litre GTV. It was the first of many wins. The 3.0 litre car won the overall Group 1 Champioship in SA the following year with Nico. I won Index of Performance at the Kyalami 9 hour in 1983. The car also won may races in 1985. After I dont know since I left the country at the end of 1985. Kevin has sent me a video of the 2 hour which we should try put on You Tube.

regards

Maurizio
Maurizio Bianco
Silver
Silver

kevin wrote:Hi Maurizio, im out of town most of time at moment but will be back this week to contact owner.

ok thanks.
Roger39
Silver
Silver

Post by Roger39 »

Pic I got from Facebook with Derek Bell behind the wheel...
Maurizio Bianco
Silver
Silver

Roger39 wrote:Image

Pic I got from Facebook with Derek Bell behind the wheel...

cant see pic !
drivers71
Silver
Silver

Post by drivers71 »

Thanks for this information Maurizio. May I ask you a few more please?
In the 1983 Kyalami 1000k race, You won your class (Group 1 - Touring), 16th overall, sharing with Dick Pickering, and were entered by ARSA. The other ARSA car, driven by Arnold Chatz and Eric Saunders retired due to an accident.
The other two GTV6 cars, entered by Glenwood Motors both retired after accidents also (Fino Pontes/Abel D'Oliviera and Willie van Zyl/Mick Formato). All 4 cars being in the same T1 class.
In the same race in November 1984, there were five GTV6 cars entered; 3 entered by Autodelta and 2 by Glenwood. Nico and Arnold Chatz finished 5th overall, second in Class MB in an Autodelta car, Formato and Paul Moni, in the second Autodelta car, finished 6th overall but won Class TT. Giovanni Piazza-Musso and van Zyl finished 8th overall, 3rd in Class MB with their Glenwood car.
The remaining two cars retired; D'Oliviera/Pontes - Glenwood Class MB and Pickering/Parsons - Autodelta Class TT.
So the question is, Why were 3 of the cars entered in Class MB (SASCC Modified Class B) with the other 2 entered in Class TT (Touring Class T)? I'm guessing that the 3 MB cars had received further engine mods by then?
If so, did all the racing GTV6 cars have the same modified engines after that?
Again, if this was the case, they must have run in the Modified Class without the required homologation for Group 1?
Were the ARSA/Autodelta entered cars built with the Glenwood cars, or were they prepared separately?

Sorry it's all questions - but there is a need to get this (and much more) information documented while the people who know it are still around.
I would really appreciate any of the above details, please.

Kevin - Any chance you could sent me a copy of this video, please?
Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich,

Derek Bell drove with us in the 2-hour at Kyalami in 1983. He was partnered with Nico and they finished 5th due to a faulty fuel cap. Would have been second. Race was won by D'Oliveira which was the first win by a 3.0 litre GTV. It was the first of many wins. The 3.0 litre car won the overall Group 1 Champioship in SA the following year with Nico. I won Index of Performance at the Kyalami 9 hour in 1983. The car also won many races in 1985. After I dont know since I left the country at the end of 1985. Kevin has sent me a video of the 2 hour which we should try put on You Tube.

regards

Maurizio[/quote]
Maurizio Bianco
Silver
Silver

drivers71 wrote:Thanks for this information Maurizio. May I ask you a few more please?
In the 1983 Kyalami 1000k race, You won your class (Group 1 - Touring), 16th overall, sharing with Dick Pickering, and were entered by ARSA. The other ARSA car, driven by Arnold Chatz and Eric Saunders retired due to an accident.
The other two GTV6 cars, entered by Glenwood Motors both retired after accidents also (Fino Pontes/Abel D'Oliviera and Willie van Zyl/Mick Formato). All 4 cars being in the same T1 class.
In the same race in November 1984, there were five GTV6 cars entered; 3 entered by Autodelta and 2 by Glenwood. Nico and Arnold Chatz finished 5th overall, second in Class MB in an Autodelta car, Formato and Paul Moni, in the second Autodelta car, finished 6th overall but won Class TT. Giovanni Piazza-Musso and van Zyl finished 8th overall, 3rd in Class MB with their Glenwood car.
The remaining two cars retired; D'Oliviera/Pontes - Glenwood Class MB and Pickering/Parsons - Autodelta Class TT.
So the question is, Why were 3 of the cars entered in Class MB (SASCC Modified Class B) with the other 2 entered in Class TT (Touring Class T)? I'm guessing that the 3 MB cars had received further engine mods by then?
If so, did all the racing GTV6 cars have the same modified engines after that?
Again, if this was the case, they must have run in the Modified Class without the required homologation for Group 1?
Were the ARSA/Autodelta entered cars built with the Glenwood cars, or were they prepared separately?

Sorry it's all questions - but there is a need to get this (and much more) information documented while the people who know it are still around.
I would really appreciate any of the above details, please.

Kevin - Any chance you could sent me a copy of this video, please?
Thanks
Rich

Hi Rich,

Derek Bell drove with us in the 2-hour at Kyalami in 1983. He was partnered with Nico and they finished 5th due to a faulty fuel cap. Would have been second. Race was won by D'Oliveira which was the first win by a 3.0 litre GTV. It was the first of many wins. The 3.0 litre car won the overall Group 1 Champioship in SA the following year with Nico. I won Index of Performance at the Kyalami 9 hour in 1983. The car also won many races in 1985. After I dont know since I left the country at the end of 1985. Kevin has sent me a video of the 2 hour which we should try put on You Tube.

regards

Maurizio
[/quote]

Hi Rich,

In 1983 the ARSA Chatz/Saundes car was a Modified according to the statistics (accident). The other 2 cars (Glenwood) were T class (Group 1), of which the D' Oliveira car rolled and the other Formato car broke an engine. Bear in mind there was a sudden thunderstorm which put many cars into the fences.

In 1984 there were the following cars:

- ARSA Modified (in the B class of Modifieds) which came 5th and was driven by Nico and Chatz. It was second in MB class and third in Modifieds.
- ARSA Group 1 car driven by Formato, finished 6th and first in Group 1 (T class)
- ARSA Group 1 car driven by Pickering which came 22nd
- Glenwood Modified (MB) of Piazza Musso that came 8th
- Glenwood Modified (MB) of D' Oliverira that retired.

The two ARSA Group 1 cars were standard T class cars that continued to race in that form in 1985 with Nico and myself. The Chatz car (ARSA) was a real Modified that had always previously raced in that category. Dont know what happened to it after that. The Glenwood cars, prepared separately, were upgrades of the Group 1 cars. I remember at least 1 of them being raced by Nico in 1988 in Modifieds.

Hope that helps.

Maurizio
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Interesting reading and great memories,

I have photos of most of the cars including the MB Chatz (my old employer) car that i can scan and post if you like.

Tom
Maurizio Bianco
Silver
Silver

fortom wrote:Interesting reading and great memories,

I have photos of most of the cars including the MB Chatz (my old employer) car that i can scan and post if you like.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Would be great. My email address is mbianco@cognetas.com

regards

Maurizio
drivers71
Silver
Silver

Post by drivers71 »

Thanks Maurizio - I'm happy your memory is good.
Would it be ok if I asked you a few more, as they come up in the history of these cars I'm helping with, please?

Tom
I'd also appreciate seeing the photos you mentioned, if you don't mind me asking?
My email is: rich@b2v.id.au

Rich
Maurizio Bianco
Silver
Silver

drivers71 wrote:Thanks Maurizio - I'm happy your memory is good.
Would it be ok if I asked you a few more, as they come up in the history of these cars I'm helping with, please?

Tom
I'd also appreciate seeing the photos you mentioned, if you don't mind me asking?
My email is: rich@b2v.id.au

Rich
Dear Tom,

Sure, whatever I can help with will be my pleasure.

Maurizio
Maurizio Bianco
Silver
Silver

fortom wrote:Interesting reading and great memories,

Tom

Hi Tom,

any chance of those photos please ?

thanks.

Maurizio