Modified Plenum
Modified Plenum
plen modified.jpeg (188.09 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Re: A new GTV6 2.5 entry into SA Marque car catergory

Post by Joemart »

Completed Clutch Housing - Thanks to MD for giving info to Kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
housing4.jpg
housing4.jpg (97.38 KiB) Viewed 6617 times
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi

Race weekend coming up at Midvaal - I hope car will be ready.... motor is in, the rest to be done, wiring, air filter, dyno setup, etc, etc -some pics below
Attachments
engine is in -
engine is in -
new sump guard.JPG (100.71 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
3.0 Lt original bonnet - need to clean and paint it now
3.0 Lt original bonnet - need to clean and paint it now
bonnet.JPG (78.68 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

So yesterday was our Alfa Trofeo race at Midvaal - it included Cobra's and Porsches - we had a really good turnot of 33 cars in total - I have attached some pics below - more to come ,,,.

My day was NOT bad at all - I actually WON the first race (although Kevin crossed the line first but was DQ - I am sure he will explain why :wink: )

Then I had a few problems in Rac 2 and 3 - Exhaust and electrical gremlines (the electrical Gremlins we have FOUND :D )

What was REALLY interesting though (and would love some input, not sure if this is correct post), BUT...

My manifold came loose during the 2nd race and started leaking badly, both where the 3-goes into 1 (on both sides) and on the left bank at the Exhaust port area - now the INTERESTING part is that the car felt like it had SUBSTANTIALLY more power and in fact it was confirmed post race, where I was 1.2 Sec per lap faster!!!!!! - so the question is WHY????? I like the power - Should I run with NO exhaust (Joke).... but it does raise some interesting thoughts - any comments welcome please....
Attachments
intersting part - Kevin's is a STANDARD (hehe) 3.7 lt - he came past me like I was standing still at max speed down a 1km straight (I was at 5300 in Fifth)...the red GTV is a Twin Turbo - I am running STD 3.0 12v 164 motor
intersting part - Kevin's is a STANDARD (hehe) 3.7 lt - he came past me like I was standing still at max speed down a 1km straight (I was at 5300 in Fifth)...the red GTV is a Twin Turbo - I am running STD 3.0 12v 164 motor
midvaal 3.jpg (54.32 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
A trio of GTV6's - Mine in foreground, Jose's second and Kevin furthest -
A trio of GTV6's - Mine in foreground, Jose's second and Kevin furthest -
midvaal 2.jpg (48.62 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
The mmmmmm Finger - 1st in Race 1
The mmmmmm Finger - 1st in Race 1
mdvaal 1.JPG (49.33 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Joemart,

Something has been lost in the translation.

Your clutch housing braces need to be straight- not bent.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yep MD , we had to retranslate . The first housing with the straight arm required about 15 mm of bodywork to be pushed in and it's really difficult when taking clutch in and out under the car at the track which I found out . It can be done but if you have reallyheavy rear springs like I do at 65 kg then you have to get two guys to sit on boot when jacking dedion up to make space to pull clutch out .
SO option was if the design was compromised with bent arms all this means that the welding will have a twisting moment on it as you no longer have a force running directly along the y axis of the flat bar ( unless you put a small web). I did take this into considreration and felt we are still so much better than without - so that's the way it fits now . Also the new moment on the welds will try turn the ring off and not twist it off if that makes any sense .
Ideally we need four arms . Main thing is we are steps forward .( hopefully) MD please comment - hey we learn all the time from you :D

Joe I believe if you get the checkered flag first you're the winner :oops: unless I should have started in position 31 on the grid in the 33 car field . Not in position 19 .
Man it's Also fun to power past a twin turbo in a n/a 3.7 . Ok he is at .5 bar boost only .
I think by fluke i have hit the holy Grail of suspension set up now and camber because I can actualy overtake most cars on this very rough and bumpy circuit in the bends and believe me they ain't no driving skill there .

Joe I think once your ls is in you gonna be another 2 seconds quicker at zwartkops .
So from 2.5 12v you were at 91 kw on wheels and now at 112 kw with the standards 3.0 .12v. This is spot on as it's incrementally correct . Guys remember we are at 6000 ft above sea level so we are probably 14-17 % down in power .
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin, I accept the compromise explanation. There is a likelyhood of minor body build differences in the sedan versus the coupe to explain the clearance issues. The Brick didn't have these problems with 420lb rear springs. Anyhow moving on..

Others wanting to do this and for an update on a new version of these braces, see my edited post on the Cab on page 15. This is a better brace and should overcome your clearance issues too.

Cheers, MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi All

Ok - time for an update :D - been a while.... after the last race, I "broke" the manifold/s :cry: , so had to get new ones made... PLUS i decided I would also get a refurbed gearbox and LSD!!!! \

so, (i am sure Kevin will add his bit), here find some pics of manifold...

38mm ID, 41.?? OD
and BOX
Attachments
gerabox low res.JPG
gerabox low res.JPG (50.79 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
manifold low res1.JPG
manifold low res1.JPG (111.71 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
manifold low res3.JPG
manifold low res3.JPG (45.32 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Joe , they should be 39 Id . Even though these are not and ideal equal length set up I have seen 120 kw on wheels here with exact set up . Ok he had group 1 cams .(6000ft altitude here) .
With your LS in there should be at least a1.18 time at swartkops .
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Latest Pic
Attachments
latest pic of car...
latest pic of car...
photo aug 2012lowres.JPG (55.14 KiB) Viewed 6449 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hey joemart , are you ready for the big race this weekend in phakisa (Welkom) . Its been ages since been there so tried to google the track and see if I can work out some good lines . There is zero footage and tips for this awesome circuit where biaggi , Rossi have won races . Atleast it's a very wide track but geez you need big gazoolies to go flat out through some of those turns . Been winter here and near the heart of our gold mining industry so this place is usually very dusty and slippery . Gonna have to work on those tyre pressures .
Ps have you done your checklists .
dawie botha
Silver
Silver

Post by dawie botha »

Good luck with the races this weekend !
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hey.... Apparently will warm up!!!! - ready as I will ever be... Last time I was there (2 years ago), between warm up and quali I found 5 sec / lap - u right it was "goonnniess" :wink: ---- One particular corner was actually 99% flat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dawie.. Thanks!!1

I have managed to get a go-Pro, so going to test it this weekend.... will try post some videos.........
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Well... The race weekend never WAS.... :cry: - long story, but the car never got to the track :roll:

BUT, here is an interesting thing I found out....(not sure if it is in the right category?)

About 2 months ago, as I said in another post, I fitted a reconditioned box with LSD - well, after fitting it the car felt very "pap" (an afrikaans word for flat)... it just felt as if the car has lost power .. took it to SAME dyno, (yes there are factors like Temp, etc that can affect), but the car was down about 6-8kw at peak power, and was down substantially throughout the rev range (we had changed headers at same time), so I thought iot may have been the headers, though it made no sense as these were the same as used previously by Kevin R and in fact in all other installations, power was gained...!!!

Anyway, last week (due to fact that 2nd and 3rd gear are grinding), yes, within a month of isntallation :? we have put the old box back and guess what ??? - YES, the power is BACK!!!!!!!!!! - ALL OF IT and MORE :) ........we did a run before on dyno (about 1-2 months ago) and AGAIN last week... we went from about 102-103 KW on wheels, back to 112-113 kw on wheels, BUT with an EXTRA 10kw at 4500!!!!!!! - the car FEELS great..

So, not sure if anyone else has had same experince???, but in my mind, appears that LSD sucks a LOT of power.... is it linear to power??? dont know, don't think so, or is it a FIXED amount of power that is just sapped by an LSD?? - if so, it could be anything between 7-9kw - now on 102kw, that is close as dammit to 8%...

Thoughts???

PS - Kevin has some details as well... Kevin, your thoughts??
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yes , the race weekend that never was - my car was also stranded as the transporter hydraulics broke . :(
Any way back to the LS , we had a 147 with an LS that also lost about 5 kw but according to the experts at the track , they said this is not an issue as measuring on the dyno is not the same as when the oil warms up in the gearbox and after a lap or two on the track the power should be back :idea:
Good to here ideas from the guys who been through this before . JK , anyone , anyone :?: