Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: An original GTV6 3.0 entry into SA Marque car category

Post by MR2 Zig »

ahhhh ... Kevin....you are in England.....so far as I can tell from here....I think that is where the Alfa Sud became Alfasuds. The English may even have invented rust for automobiles......
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi Kev.... thanks... that's what I had to do.... going to leave it as is for now and see what happens - kyalami race coming up this weekend, so should be able to stretch the legs (and eat some Porsche's for breakfast :twisted: )..

The brakes are just great... the car now STOPS!!!!.... I have to be careful I don't lock up, but it almost feels like the rears are lifting off the ground :wink:

I did a run about 1 week ago at Zwartkops, and did some timing ... got 2x reasonable laps in, not near the limit, but quick laps nevertheless... did a 1:14.332 and a 1:14.669 fastest laps.... that is about 1.3 secs faster than previous best...now average speed on the track at the fastest lap is OVER 140km/h average... touching close to 177-178km/h on back straight
PowerMods911
Gold
Gold

Post by PowerMods911 »

Guiseppe, that is some serious speed on the back straight. The fastsest I've recorded is 169km.
Oddly enough on my fastest lap it is was 159km.
And on my lastest outing following the sud it was 146km.
GTV6 2.8 TT Race Car
GTV6 3.0 White
GTV6 2.5 Red
GTV6 2.5 RIP (donor)
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

@911.... Strangely enough, the App I use (Harry's lap timer), recoded fastest speed of 169Km/h.... a Navigator I had in the car though, recorded 177km/h, so I think the App does NOT record the top speed at the right place....
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi All

As you may know, yesterday was our event at Kyalami - In the major part a great day was had by all, except for a few engine blowup's... never nice...

Day started off well, except that I had a blow-out of a rear left in qualifying and spun out into the "kitty litter" at the esses... quite a moment :evil:

Race 1, I will post an edited video shortly, but rather exciting, with an engine blow-up and a few synchronised spins on the oil :o ....

In summary, I had a good day, winning both heats and overall 1st for the day.... thanks to all the guys that have helped me to get car to this state....it is fast and reliable!!!!!
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

A picture in meantime of the end phase of the spin at Kyalami esses after the tyre blow-out
Attachments
End phase of spin at esses after a tyre blow-out
End phase of spin at esses after a tyre blow-out
kyalami spin.jpg (24.98 KiB) Viewed 8809 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I see some really good blistering times you did at kyalami yesterday . That's great pace with those 205/50/15 . Does the back end feel lively through old " clubhouse corner" or is that LS working well ?
What speed you getting through kink in main pit straight?
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Kev

Thanks :) ... no idea what I am doing through kink, but I am in 5th...

the car is VERY lively... I spend a lot of time opposite lock coming out of corners, but well controlled - the LS works very well..TBH, I was feeling like I worked really HARD after Kyalami, even though there is a little more time to "relax", EVERY corner at kyalami is HARD work, a LOT more than Zwartkops, but I loved it...- There are a number of blind corners, which for some reason I had not realised it before that they were that "bad"... I guess when you approach them a lot quicker, they are a lot more "blind"... :wink: :twisted:
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Right..... here is the link to YouTube video... It is an edited version of race 1, with a fairly interesting spin on last lap.... it is a fairly large file (about 700megs), so give it about 2 hours from now to upload.... our Internet access at home is a little slow :cry:

Kevin, u will see some footage of your "ex" car

http://youtu.be/6nk2v35G09E
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

I must also add, that I was a little apprehensive about the brakes, as it would be the first time I would test the new setup with four pot, new disks, etc in anger :evil: - They were phenomenal..... stopped with no fade, no shudder, no long brake pedal all day... 8) ... AND it was a HOT day... saw about 28C -30C air temp.... some guy had a in-car gauge.... 58C :shock:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

That's big goolies for overtaking Adrian through the mineshaft . The fast corner on that steep downhill gives me the sh#%*s .
Nice video but you need to put a microphone under dash to pic up engine noise .
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Thanks Kevin,.... I am going to put camera back INSIDE car for the next race...which is on 27 October I think...

I am now moving up in Champ, so suddenly have a chance of finishing top3 - need to do BOTH of next races and do well :)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hey , Joe how's your championship points coming on after today's event at Zwartkops ? Any other GTV racing today ?
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi Kevin

I think I may have moved up to 3rd in the log with one event to go.... I won the first race and came 4th in the second, after the first two laps were on a damp track, so made it a little interesting

For some reason I was not able to get the same lap times in this event as a I did in open practice - about 2 secs a lap down.... and I do NOT know why :?: :?

But, though I finished the 2nd race, a water pipe "burst" ( I think it "cracked") and water started squirting into the cockpit (got a little "burnt"), that was on second last lap... I finished the race, but with no water in the radiator, so I am SERIOSLY concerned about state of engine at this stage... :cry:

I have left the car at Dawie straight after the race and will hopefully get a verdict on Tuesday..The engine felt "ok" but I could hear a "tic-tic" noise, not sure if it was coming from Exhaust leak, or a noise from the engine / block / head :?

Here are link to some pics and also laptimes

laptimes link:- look at "SA Mechanical seals Alfa Trofeo"
http://www.tjtiming.co.za/event.php?id=158

Pics will be posted soon on:
http://www.zoc.co.za/coppermine/
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi All

Thought I would share this latest pic, which I personally think is really nice (but then one would always think that :)
Attachments
Zwartkops 26 Oct 2013 latest
Zwartkops 26 Oct 2013 latest
zwartkops 26 oct 13.JPG (169.97 KiB) Viewed 8584 times