Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Re: Pictures,of racing, group 1 etc,etc,

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Glen Gibbons in the GTV waiting for the race to begin, Zwartkops raceway 15/03/1993
Attachments
Gibbons Alfa.jpg
Gibbons Alfa.jpg (182.81 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The rollcage has come a long way... :shock:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Mick Formaro spins the Italian Cars 3.0 liter, but still managed a second place in the Group One Enduro. December 1985.
Attachments
Mick Formato.jpg
Mick Formato.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 9881 times
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Paddy Driver, (Mazda) fights off George Fouche in Glenwood modified 3.0l in the first Modified Saloon Car Race of the season. Welkom race way in the Orange Free State. 01/02/1986
Attachments
George Fouche.jpg
George Fouche.jpg (234.23 KiB) Viewed 9881 times
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

1983 Group One 2 hour international Endurance race. Andy Rouse sharing the INTER PANELBEATERS GTV6 2.5 with local driver Paolo Cavalieri
Attachments
Rouse Cavalieri.jpg
Rouse Cavalieri.jpg (254.95 KiB) Viewed 9826 times
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Willem van Zyl winning the index of performance in the Lodge 2 hour race.
Attachments
van Zyl.jpg
van Zyl.jpg (141.64 KiB) Viewed 9826 times
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Nico Bianco in the 2,5 been chased by Tony Viana in the BMW.
Attachments
Nico.jpg
Nico.jpg (159.47 KiB) Viewed 9825 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mark , those are some classic finds from your archive . Oh I got the disc with full sound of the 2hr endurance race in 83' which will load .
Ps drop me PM if looking for any 164 stuff .
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Going to download some pics from the Zwartkops festival that took place 2015/01/31. Glenwood got an invitation to race the GTV 3.0 against an old rival from 1985 the BMW 745i . This BMW was also unique to SA as it had the M1 engine . The power of the BMW since 1985 has crept up from 300hp to 450 hp and the rubber has got extremely wide ie to 10 inch slicks . So in order to level the playing a bit the GTV of Dawies was also seriously worked to match power . The GTV still has box in the back and runs the normal RS kit . This kit is illegal for the series but because it was a one off invitation Dawie was allowed to do it .Dawie also upped the rev limiter to over 8000rpm so the driver ( Craig who drove brilliantly ) could hold it in fourth . That's impressive for a 3.7 motor . Never mind the BMW getting totally annihilated in front of huge crowds it also nearly overtook 500hp cars which was worrying . If you wondering how the fiat is also in the pic - well let's say the owner also had the same attitude . The Fiat weighed in at 690kg and revved to 10500rpm .
Some pics to follow
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (210.98 KiB) Viewed 9425 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (219.66 KiB) Viewed 9425 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (191.62 KiB) Viewed 9425 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (199.98 KiB) Viewed 9425 times
Last edited by kevin on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

And a pic of the rival 745 motor and its wide rubber that was destroyed by the GTV 6 . Yes it does weigh more but this motor is so far from standard with no budget . The owner has a whole series of Ferrari race cars . Please excuse pics of non Alfa but you need to see how way out the competition is .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (168.45 KiB) Viewed 9401 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (198.61 KiB) Viewed 9425 times
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Watching Craig drive the wheels off that GTV6 3.7 litre was the highlight of the day for my brother and I. My uncle from the US even extended his stay just to watch this event.

It is he who I have to thank for my love of motor racing and cars. These pictures Mark has put up brings back so many good memories from my childhood years. :wall:

Needless to say the drive back home, with my own nephew now in the passenger seat, at the wheel of my twin turbo 3 litre 24V GTV6 was fun. It is just so easy to cruise at 200km/h in this car while donating huge sums of money to OPEC via the fuel gauge.

My uncle opted to go back with my brother in my stock standard 2.5 GTV6... :lol: Amazing as when I was a teenager the drive home in his BMW 530 was a highlight for me as a kid. Cemented a love of cars and racing that shows no sign of easing off.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Nice pics Kevin, wish I had been there but had a previous engagement I could not get out of. Watched the racing on TV, Craig's driving style reminded my of Nico Bianco the way he used to throw the car around. There is a photo of the BMW 745 in Gunton lively, before it was sponged by Winston on page two of this thread.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Mark , is there any chance you could download some clips of that racing on youtube especially race 1 .
Henk sent me a few pics from the eighties of the South African GTV 3.0 with Miss SA . Geez see the eighties hair!
Also some other pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (136.46 KiB) Viewed 9288 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (145.6 KiB) Viewed 9288 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (69.04 KiB) Viewed 9288 times
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Good grief Kevin, you are giving our age away. :lol:

The chap on the right of your pic of Miss SA is old Eon de Vos. He is a commercial pilot and weirdly enough I had the opportunity to meet him on a flight back from CT some years back.

That last picture was taken at the 1983 Castrol 1000kms which was the last round of the World Sportscar Championship. It turned into an epic battler between the factory Rothmans Porsch 956 and the Martini Lancia-Ferrari LC-2.

I sat mesmerised on the main grandstand that year. The other good thing was it was only taking a Group 1 Alfa GTV6 3 litre about 10 to 12 laps to lap the then Group B Porsche 930 turbo's which you can see in this picture.
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Great story Fernando , I forgot to go that day as I did not think the gtv3.0!were racing . Do you remember which GTV came in first ?
Dereck Bell won the race in the Porsche which was interesting in terms of results because I think two months early he came out to race the a GTV 3.0 in the launch race and was only the third fastest Alfa driver . D'oliviera and Bianco were quicker .
I remember that same year Andrea Stelzer coming to Alfa concours at Sandton City which used to be held on the roof parking . I'm not sure how Allfa always seemed to get her to the events unless she was just attracted to good looking cars and dribly men :D ( in my case schoolboy )