Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Project 2 : front mount SA GTV 3.0 - Sei diff

Post by Jim K »

For 25% lockout (2 friction washers) Alfa calls for 1.5kgm wet preload (from the Montreal manual, as that car has the same LSD as all 105's and 75's). For 47% (ZF figure for 4 friction washers) preload for ~3kgm WET, which I have found results from ~5-6kgm dry (no oil, just clean parts). For adjusting preload, we have a selection of laser-cut steel washers (same dimension as #4 in the pic) from 0.15/0.2/0.5mm. These are placed at the end where they just clamp, no friction. Proper adjustment means sometimes playing with ±0.02mm. If friction plates are new, your adjustment will disappear in a couple of months as they initially wear quickly. Subsequent adjustment should hold for a year or so, but much less if you are on the track frequently. If you follow the above numbers NO wear will result. Another possibility, is to replace an end plate (4 in your pic) with a spring plate -Bacci had them and I got a couple some years ago but they are not in their current catalog. BMW LSD's used them oem but not Alfa. They hold the adjustment preload much better.
The ramps is a different story. You can cut new ramps in between the existing ones, with 30*/70* angles. The 30* is much better for acceleration and the 70* is much better for off-gas work, decel, corners etc, as it greatly reduces understeer. problem here is you have to properly harden the newly machined ramps.
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mats ,Jim thanks for replies. Last I took apart an LS it did not go back according to plan so I just orderd one from a Gripper . Now budget is a lot different and I have to spare units to choose parts from and better access to parts .
. Jim info is perfect as I was just about to modify my own ramps to 70/30 degrees WITHOUT even having the surfaces hardened and its totally obvious now I think about it . So I think I will just leave cutting them at this stage unless I find a contact to hardening .
Let me now get back to the workbench .
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

LSD is in progress but I'm now searching for clutches for the LSD .
Jim , Matt or anyone who has old clutches lying around from a 105 or even a 116 series as I am trying to match sizes for the 119 diff.
I am looking for three measurements : the inner diameter of the teeth and outer diameter of the teeth if that makes sense . Then the outer diameter of the disc and the number of teeth .
I have heard that the 119 or Alfa sedan has same clutches as an early E36 M3 but I can't get those dimensions other than the thickness which is 2.3mm .
Theunis
Silver
Silver

Post by Theunis »

Try this page for the BMW sizes.
http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdf/Differentials.pdf. There are dimensions for the plates on p7, plus it is an interesting read.

T
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

New friction plate:
Overall OD=75.9mm
Teeth OD= 48.6mm
Teeth ID= 44.4mm
Thickness = 2.1mm
Note that since there is an odd number of splines/teeth (23) the inner/outer teeth measurements are not 100% certain, but close enough for functional replicating. For 'teeth OD' you can also try measuring the diff splines stub axles.
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Theunis that's a great find as I have been searching BMW forums . Also good read . The way they set up to diff is similiar as I had my gripper with 30 degree on acc and 70 on dec . But it looks like their decc face is still 45 degrees .
Jim thanks for those measurements as the inner dims and teeth tie in with the 188mm diff.
This forum really makes life easy :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

It would make it a lot easier if I could get my hands on a set of 15" MO wheels... :mrgreen: 8)
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

You mean these ones . Were working on it but every one is soooo sloooow this side :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (173.42 KiB) Viewed 6556 times
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yazzaaa! Dem iz da ones! :lol:

Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Work progressing slowly . Luck would have it my spare a Sei diff is the correct ratio and the LS was overhauled with new clutch plates a few years ago and its never been used . Just replaced my Dedion and fitted new wheels bearings . Thanks to Alex for supplying tools , workshop space etc . My Giulietta has been a perfect van when the rear seats are down to transport the Dedion over the UK countryside , so its now powder coated and already to go back . I did some different cut outs and strengthening webs inside the Dedion to take care of my mods to clear my callipers .
I could have just changed the calliper mounting brackets but I wanted the bleed nipples 100% on top unlike the 105 series ones I had on my previous race car . Those proved a nightmare to bleed . Speaking of that I see Goodridge has a self bleeding calliper nipple . Think I might order some since I'm on own to do work .
Some pics to follow of work in my hi-tech workshop ie the paving in the drive way : D )
I can just sense the neighbours wanting to moan 8)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (134.95 KiB) Viewed 6421 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (162.62 KiB) Viewed 6421 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (234.77 KiB) Viewed 6451 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (196.37 KiB) Viewed 6451 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (195.84 KiB) Viewed 6451 times
Last edited by kevin on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Amongst the many steps to get this car back to road trim ( 90%track 10% road) I have been trying to find easiest way to connect a speedo without doing the sat nav thing . I used the Hall effect pickup from Race Technology and mounted it to the stub axle . This picks up with the countersunk bolt that goes through the hub . Don't use stainless bolts :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (223.78 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (168.54 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
powermods69
Silver
Silver

Post by powermods69 »

kev has this beast of yours seen a track yet or are becoming like domingos
Burn Rubber Not Your Soul
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ha ha . Domingoes is worse . He has three "super" Alfas and he has not raced in three years so I got a long way to go . I have a few excuses , firstly I want to finish off the trim , wiring , dash2 etc and secondly I have to wait another 6 months minimum for my back to heal unless they decide to operate to replace my disc that burst .
Tell Domingoes to stop eating so many T bones at Il Forno and post some pics of his second DTM replica 155 twin turbo rwd he built . Have you wired it up yet ?
powermods69
Silver
Silver

Post by powermods69 »

we have made huge progress on the DTM 155 but it wont be ready for management yet. I will post some pics when I get a gap
Burn Rubber Not Your Soul
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Work continues painfully slow on all fronts on the car . Wiring and remaking dashboard panels continues while the mechanical side gets refined . My new prop is in and its actual the exact section of torque resilient used in the Aston Martin . Before I put the prop in I lined the tunnel out with lightweight heat reflective and sound deadening material from DEI . Pretty expensive but I need to keep it light . Some pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (231.12 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (227.38 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (184.98 KiB) Viewed 6286 times