Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Project 2 : front mount SA GTV 3.0 - Sei diff

Post by kevin »

Started cutting out for new guages and buttons for DASH 2 display . Also additional buttons to get car through a MOT including fog lamps . I will add some more pics of prop to previous post when I find them . If anyone is interested I can put the name up of the guys who make these in UK .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (217.94 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (140.87 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (188.64 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (181.48 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (174.53 KiB) Viewed 7375 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I bought a new relay holder and fuse box to run extra items . Atleast this relay holder is closed as its always being a problem getting rain into them in bonnet area . Not sure how though . Even with all these extra small items it still will remain mostly a race car but I have to cater for inclement weather which is quite common now for me . Need to run demister, wipers , rear windscreen heaters , extra fuel pumps , bigger fans etc . Hoping to get a lightweight heater / demister soon so just prepping the wiring .
Still a big mess in engine bay but slowly getting there . Can see the old and new centre consul .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (251.38 KiB) Viewed 7372 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (251.09 KiB) Viewed 7373 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (233.25 KiB) Viewed 7373 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (202.56 KiB) Viewed 7373 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Using the 3M carbon rap on panels created more problems as it originally stuck nicely but if you took the panels off the wrap would peel back off the edges . Even if the aluminium was cleaned and heat gun was used to soften the wrap on corners it still lifted after a few days . I think I will just have to glue the edges again as right now it looks pretty crap . I needed to find something to mask all the holes and scratches and I thought it was the solution .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (205.97 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (249.52 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
Last edited by kevin on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some more pics of heat shielding directly above exhaust . Just cleaned and touched up on welding on exhaust joints to prevent corrosion as it was mig welding on stainless pipe .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (200.62 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (206.89 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (174.87 KiB) Viewed 7316 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Tired of exhaust rubbers cracking after a year on the car so decided to try these powerflex ones at £5 a pop . Time will tell what he effects of tension and heat have on polyurethane .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (194.33 KiB) Viewed 7261 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (180.72 KiB) Viewed 7261 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Fitted my newly made up relay box , fuse box and bulkhead connection all next to each . Decluttering the area where my cross braced for engine bay will triangulate to bulkhead .
I got separate fuse box in centre consul to cater for ecu, race technology Dash 2 display and lambda sensor . Took a while to find a 1 amp fuse for the dash 2 . Dash 2 is all calibrated as I used their sensors but I must just calibrate wheel speed sensor .
Engine bay is starting to look neater but still busy with all the pipe work for breathers .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (255.82 KiB) Viewed 7178 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (202.87 KiB) Viewed 7178 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Future cross brace . All connecting points are in just need to fabricate it .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (230.67 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
squadragrunn
Gold
Gold

Post by squadragrunn »

check!
-charles-
gtv6 3.0 24v, 164qv 24v, maserati biturbo 2.8 evo, mb 500se, zzr1100d
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks for pic , that covers everything :D . I won't need to brace on engine as the gearbox that sits behind it has very wide mounts so engine won't move much . I do have tubing that runs from shock towers towards the castor arm similiar to that of the 75 touring cars . Underside I still have a sump guard not that it adds to much other than protect my sump . My key thing is to triangulate back to the bulkhead as I have very heavy coil overs . I guess its all immaterial as its no longer a 100% race car but a track day car ..., however with possible future plans to race it again .
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

With the wintery rainy weather now rolling in now I think I managed to get 98% of the work done I set out to do in refining the original build and making it roadworthy . Fitted the windscreen washer hoses . Bit tricky to hole saw in back of bonnet without it suddenly going through to the front but all went well .
Got both banks breather bottles in . I intended using just the one oil catch tank but it was to small for both banks ( according to fellow Alfa racers ) and the bigger tank could not fit . I placed the second catch tank in bottom corner in front of the large aluminium radiator . I made sure this time the vent hoses are well away from cabin so I don't get the oil smell in even though all holes in firewall are now blocked .

Best upgrade done was changing the earth straps . Even though this is a 99% rust free car I found the bolt on the rear earth strap had corroded so much that the contact area surrounding was also affected . With a new earth straps and a new point to bolt it to has made a huge difference in cranking speed . Its worth checking on all GTV's that are in daily use in wet climate . ( just check bolt and contact surface ) . Thanks to Nick for getting these cables crimped with the heavy duty crimper .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (124.23 KiB) Viewed 7006 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (186.43 KiB) Viewed 7006 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (165.32 KiB) Viewed 7006 times
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

its looking really good Kevin.... - !! :evil: - r u coming to SA at some stage?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Joe , yes I'm trying to arrange to come to SA in Feb for the Zwartkops international . Maybe with all the back /spine rehab and training I will have recovered enough to be able take one one of Glenwoods GTV's to race in the festival . Dawie kindly offered me one of his cars last year when my car ran into issues in qualifying so I better check their will be one on standby 8) .

I have been plodding on with car changing and re checking various electrical components as there are some still gremlins I'm trying to isolate . I started with the earth straps as mentioned above which made a huge difference already . Definitely something for everyone to look at with their GTV in the rear battery box . I had alternator rechecked as I noticed my voltmeter fluctuating . Test bench picked up faulty regulator so I can tick that box .
Even though I had a good kill switch I decided to upgrade it with an Autolec FIA type . Not cheap but then its great quality . I did already have new battery cable but changed the battery terminals .
Finally changed the sparkplugs as I killed those from to much idling and over fuelling this was caused by not having a thermostat in . The ecu feuling on cold start is directly related to water temp . I could get away with it in SA as the car would warm up quickly and I could rev it without anyone hearing it in two miles . So yes as road track car many things have had to change including my new rear silencer section that I'm getting custom made for side exit .
A proper battery has also eliminated any doubts of out of ordinary voltage drop on cranking . I got a great Yuasa battery . Again not cheap but it will be on a conditioner in the winter to save it .

I rechecked timing and belt tension just to make sure my fouled plugs were not caused by jumped tooth but its all perfect . Belt was on loose side but its now all set correctly in my outdoor workshop :D
Some pics to follow .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (188.92 KiB) Viewed 6639 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (224.72 KiB) Viewed 6907 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (252.35 KiB) Viewed 6907 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (203.92 KiB) Viewed 6907 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (194.88 KiB) Viewed 6907 times
Last edited by kevin on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Hi

Never heard of a Yuasa....Please let me know what u do with silencer - pics, etc... I may need to do something as well.... also, I think Dawie has sold many of his cars... not sure how many he has left, though he builds a new one very day :roll:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

All that street workshop takes me back when I lived in London and carried out running repairs on my cars. Fingers numb from the cold and waiting for a fine day without rain. Just beautiful. Sure am glad to be back in God's own hangout.

So Mr Kevin,may I suggest to always install a plastic battery tray under your battery? It is also a good idea to treat the battery enclosure with a good wax based quality rust inhibitor paint cause sure as JK sleeps with a Teddy Bear :shock: , corrosion will find a way to piss you off. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

...God's own hangout??? So that's what being perpetually drunk is like! OR...Speak ill and be deported... :roll:
Jim K.