Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Project 2 : front mount SA GTV 3.0 - Sei diff

Post by kevin »

Yes it was the 75 starter from 1992 model . See if Alex Jupe Motorsport can help you out . But shipping is gonna be half your cost .
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I packed car and spare motor today in container which will arrive in few months time to UK .
:shock: In meantime I will make another prop for the car as the universal I used came back to haunt me . Domingos from Powermods ( 155 TT and 3.7 widebody TT) warned me he could never get the universal with the sliding joint combination vibration free on these cars front mount cars . Silly of me to try prove him wrong . Vibration comes in at 120km/h whether engine is on or off .
I did find issue with rear rims which I sorted as mentioned earlier and I took prop out again to be balanced after qualifying for the Zwartkops International Race held over the weekend . The car felt really good on he track even though it was bucketing with rain . Our session was eventually red flagged . Pity as at least I could be semi competitive with 120 kmh max speed in the rain . Unfortunately on race day the weather cleared up so I packed it in for the and decided to work on car in the Glenwood workshop at the track . Thanks to Dawie for lending the lift and help while trying to get car ready . Must say its only the Alfa guys at the tracks who are always willing to assist fellow Alfas in trouble . The BMW guys just watch their mates suffer :D
Note the spare new gta motor I had in storage still has manufacture date on it .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (228.46 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (187.43 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (178.77 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Nice one Kev, seems to me you are going to be there permanently. Btw since i read europe is being hit by several storms, i wonder if lining the roof and doors, fenders, etc with styro foam or thick sponge would be a good idea, just in case the weather gets real rough and the car moves a round a bit tooo much and hits the wood.

I may have to do the same when I ship my 75 to Malaysia. For track days in the US ill just rent my brother's 75 . I think next to RSR he owns the most 75s :D but the drives a 360CS on the track.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Z , wish I had a brother that had all those nice toys .
Container should be ok . I had one piece of wood that came lose last time but their were no problems . There are couches and furniture for another customer going on top of the car hence the platforms being made .
The guys who do my loading are British International Removals situated in Limbro park in johannesburg . Can't really see but there are two Porsche Targas that are going to be loaded .
I managed to load 7 speedline rims and I'm looking for one more as in pic if anyone knows where I can find another one .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (231.01 KiB) Viewed 6432 times
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Wow Kev, you will get to drive this beast on the many great tracks in the UK and Europe!!! Now we're all jealous!!!

BTW, will this car be registered for road use?

What do you do in the UK anyway? Watch TV? :) I think that is what MD does all day. :mrgreen:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yeah it will be road registered and hope to do as many track days as possible then enter some into some races . TV is not as good as I hoped it would be but time is spent on the tennis courts to keep me out of mischief and hopefully I contribute to improving the state of the juniors trying make a career . :D ( tennis bum )
Oh , spend a good couple hours a week being a biltong chef . Its serf efrican thing 8)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some time in the future this car will get this transaxle set up like this GTC ( global touring car) . Their is some good footage of the set up here.
Again hope this link take you to the right place if not this what its called
Crimsafe Talking Tech - MARC Focus GTC

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ_slIed4I ... ata_player
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

now THAT looks good!!!!!.............
:evil: :evil: :twisted:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I found a pic from the race meeting at swartkopz in SA (2014 /02/01) ust before I loaded the car . This pic was taken qualifying in rain but session was stopped due to oil on track . Am I imagining my rear wheel has air under it . Good illusion .
Attached is another GTV before it collided with joemart .
Attachments
Kevin Rascher GTV 3.0 . Zwartkops Feb2014
Kevin Rascher GTV 3.0 . Zwartkops Feb2014
image.jpg (133.01 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (139.34 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I think my GTV needs some livery as it look pretty bland . I thought this was more exciting .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (197.16 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
PowerMods911
Gold
Gold

Post by PowerMods911 »

Kevin
I've gone for a more natural look. This guy really draws the crowds, got a bit worried after 2 hours not a single lady had come to chat to him, but boy or boy he had the boys rolling in.
Attachments
Umbrella boy
Umbrella boy
photo.JPG (127.84 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
GTV6 2.8 TT Race Car
GTV6 3.0 White
GTV6 2.5 Red
GTV6 2.5 RIP (donor)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ha ha that's so funny . You guys are getting way to bored in pits during races . You gotta speak to the Ferrari boys to borrow their umbrella girls before I have to come back and straighten things up ( literally ) Maybe ask Gerrit to share as I recall last time he was totally surrounded by the umbrella ladies upon winning Trofeo . I'm sure their was a pic somewhere .

Some pics of arrival of car in UK. British International Removals doing great job again .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (180.16 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (167.34 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (164.3 KiB) Viewed 5758 times
Last edited by kevin on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Haha! Good times! :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

that is funny
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

This project will still continue as the car has still a few niggling areas . I really want to get it perfect . We'll one area was not really niggling but actually a major problem that prevented me racing at Zwartkops at the International in February . Even though qualifying was great fun the speeds in the wet we're not high enough to highlight the huge vibration issue . Whether the engine was switched on or not , in gear or neutral it was bad about 120 km/h onwards . Did mention before even changed wheels but the larger 17 " just made the problem start at a higher speed .
So looking at pics of the prop and doing some research I think I have found the problem .
From the pic you can see it's not a typical prop for a front mount gearbox as the Alfa sei has and extended diff tube . This makes the prop in ONE section not in two sections as per your normal BMW etc .
If you have one UJ and the angle is greater than 1degree out of alignment we all know at constant rpm the UJ will speed up and slow down due to the arc in the path the joint rotates through . So when you have two UJ in a prop and the input and output angles are equal the speeding up and slowing down or call it phase is balanced by the other UJ as long as they are lined up correctly .
Therefore if I look at my prop even though it's perfectly in balance and that cv is designed up yo 8500rpm it can never work unless I some how get the diff and engine perfectly in line . This I can't do as the Alfa Sei diff is offset and this will require big mods to the dedion .
The standard prop on the Sei uses two rubber donuts ( couplings) hence no phasing problems .
My only logical solution at this stage would to be to use a CV joint at the rear .
This YouTube clip makes you understand the phasing problems in a UJ prop .
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmz0tibVGM

Any comments from the gurus , am I on the right path ?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (251.51 KiB) Viewed 6015 times