Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: PowerMods911 - GTV6 2.5 TT - Race Car

Post by kevin »

I think team powermods has had some undercover spies searching for your car Joemart . Sounds like they found it . Ha ha . It was not me :D
Interested to see how your 2.5 24v is gonna run :mrgreen:
By the way I found a pic moments before 911 GTV engine expired
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (204.43 KiB) Viewed 8774 times
PowerMods911
Gold
Gold

Post by PowerMods911 »

Hope someone got a pic of me doing a 360 at the end of the back straight as I had a big rear lockup at 140km..........maybe 100km........... can't recall if it was brakes or gearing down........either way it was quite scary and thrilled to be facing the right direction again
GTV6 2.8 TT Race Car
GTV6 3.0 White
GTV6 2.5 Red
GTV6 2.5 RIP (donor)
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

yep..... someone has spies... :wink: ...but wait, there is more hehe
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jose I see your cars back together again . Can't hide from the camera man . What's the power like of the GTV in front of you in that pic .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.88 KiB) Viewed 8676 times
powermods69
Silver
Silver

Post by powermods69 »

kevin jose didnt do to badly agains that gtv considering it is davies brerra gtv
Burn Rubber Not Your Soul
PowerMods911
Gold
Gold

Post by PowerMods911 »

Finally got the 2.5TT on the track for the week ends race at Kyalami.

Wasn't too sure what lap times to expect out of the 2.5 engine vs. the last outing with the 2.8. Well, their was a notable drop in torque and acceleration out of the corners. But boy, when she got onto song from 4000rpm onwards she ran extremely well.

Due to the poor accelleration out the corners and long gear ratios I was in 2nd and 3rd gears for most of the race. Yes, that is correct 2nd (115) and 3rd (170). Even that boggles my mind, that the ratios are so long. At Zwartkops, as its a relatively short track, it's never really bothered me; but Kylami with it's long straights, that surprise me.

Anyway, I was very happy to run lap times in the mid to lower 2:06's.

Unfortunatly when we started up to line up for heat 2 we noticed and smelt a fine fuel spray coming out the bonnet buldge. Some in pits repair and we had it sealed and off we went. I only managed 1 good lap and on the 2nd lap there was a strong fuel smell, accutely aware of our pit repair I pulled straight into the pits. Turned out our repair came undone, the mega squirt from the connecting pipe between the fuel rail to the injector on number 4 cylinder resurfaced.

We managed to remove the broken pipe and blocked it off at the rail to load the car on the trailer.
GTV6 2.8 TT Race Car
GTV6 3.0 White
GTV6 2.5 Red
GTV6 2.5 RIP (donor)
PowerMods911
Gold
Gold

Post by PowerMods911 »

Zwarkops 30 Nov was our last race for the season and i was determined to race in the 2 heats, having to sit out 1 of the heats due to rain or mechanical failure was getting the better of me.

The sh1t hit the fan when I wanted to off load the car, it wouldn't start. Here we go again I thought, determined not to be a spectator I quicly figured out the damn kill switch had failed, it had rained the previous evening and all pointed to wear and tear caused by the weather.

At 7am there was frantic activity with everyone jumping in to help as no one around had a spare kill switch and the shops were still closed.

We replaced the external kill switch with the internal one. The qualifying session had started and I still needed to pass scrutineering. As luck has it they ALWAYS test the kill switch and all went well. Straight from scrutineering I went out and got 2 flying laps on cold tyres, the out lap and the inlap. With Gerrit closely in pursuit the car was all over the place battling for grip and the nose was pushing out in the corners.

At 1:23.5 I nominated a 1:17.5 for race 1. We then checked the wheel align (which I had done on Friday) and found it to have about 3mm toe out. We then aimed to string it between 0 and 1mm toe in.

Race 1 was epic, car handled a whole lot better but still showed signs of understeer, which was manageable. The torque out the corners is frustrating, couldn't even stick with the Suds and 145's. My gosh when she hits that 4000rpm you feel that sudden power coming in and all hell breaks loose. Problem is you come into the corners at such speed, the brakes were working overtime and were on the money every time.

Second last lap and I found myself behind Gerrit at the hairpin, surprisingly not wanting to risk any championship points by getting into a toe to toe race ( :twisted:) he waved me past (mmmm wonder if the engine blowout was still fresh in his memory :wall: ). Needless to say I broke out and Gerrit won race 1........good strategy Gerrit.

As race 2 neared the rain stayed way and .................YES...............I would finally have my day in the sun and compete in both heats for the day.

Well race 2 was tough, I had Adrian and Guissppe ahead of me and the ever present Roy hot on my heels. Pretty quickly I was racing with Adrian and Guiseppe. Catching them was 1 thing, passing on the other hand was a totally different senario.

Several laps of very tight racing ensued and finally in the spirit of Trofeo racing we managed to pass Adrian. Then it was Roy cutting through the field like a hot knife through butter and he quicly came past Guiseppe and I.

Into the last lap, and it was the same thing again, on the straights I catch Guiseppe and out the corners he pulls 6 -10 car lenghts. I then changed my strategy out of corner 4 and found myself a lot closer up the hill. We both entered table top together and stayed alongside each other for the next 3 corners and only on the straight into the final corner did I manage to get past.

All in all damn good racing allround.
GTV6 2.8 TT Race Car
GTV6 3.0 White
GTV6 2.5 Red
GTV6 2.5 RIP (donor)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hiya ( Howzit) Jose , sounds like good fun with the usual panic before race . Its time for a heavy duty kill switch . Your one before nearly caused your car to burn . :shock:
I was wondering why your qualifying was so slow when looking at the times but you explained that :D . Now my next part I'm wondering about is why your car is not settling in the corners as you should easily be able to gain on joemart through turn 4 with those wide tyres . Unless your gearing is way out to suit the huge turbo lag on the 2.5 motor . However if you managed 1.14 on 2.5 then you would easily make 1.09 with 3.024v with room to spare .
Maybe put the thin Antiroll bar on rear as you only running a 2.5 motor at the moment . Its worth a try to reduce under steer as you might have to much of a " wedge" by having a really stiff front and nothing on rear . You can gradually soften up the rear when you put a more powerfull motor in tp gain that extra traction out the tight corners . Hopefully their are some other chaps might be able to add some thoughts to it .
PowerMods911
Gold
Gold

Post by PowerMods911 »

Kevin, yes after the fire I did replace the kill switch with the heavy duty type. Which turns out not to be able to handle the weather elements.

You absolutely spot on my gearing is way too long. I clocked a top speed of 181.8 kms in 3rd gear :mrgreen: in the back straight as we approached turn 4. We then brake down to 110 - 120 kms depending on trafic, but still in 3rd out the corner and the climb up the hill, thats where i loose time. Half way up the hill she then gets into the powerband and its upto 161km before the 90 degree corner into table top.

I need to get box with better ratios that will allow me to stay in the powerband out of the corners.

Option 2 is to get a motor that has huge torque and a power band from 3000rpm 8) , a 30. 24v will do just fine.
GTV6 2.8 TT Race Car
GTV6 3.0 White
GTV6 2.5 Red
GTV6 2.5 RIP (donor)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Actually easier option is change your diff as their really cheap with about three different final drives . Talk to Andy at gearbox and diff in sebenza as he was recommending I put the bm diff in my car due to all the different final drives .
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

@911... that was a good race... BUT, (look at video), you ONLY got past because my tyres failed on me.. :wink:

I would look at a shorter final drive diff TBH... oh, and that car has a head of steam down back straight!!!!... to clarify, I open up about 5-6 car lengths at ;eat coming out of corner 2... by end of straight, not had u caught the 6 car lengths, but I could see I was actually slowing u down a little....

Now, get diff sorted!!!
PowerMods911
Gold
Gold

Post by PowerMods911 »

Our 1st race for the year at Zwarkops after a break of 4 months. This was major fun, and finally the rain stayed away and we had an excellent day............

Qualification was extremely cold and overcast were kept looking for signs of rain but it stayed away.

Did 4 good laps, the next 3 were hampered with fuel starvation on turn 4 which basically brought the car to 60km up the hill before it got going again.

Race 1 and some damn prick in the race before us spilt oil ALL around the track. Took the marshalls a good part of 15min to attend to the track. Despite their efforts when went out there was cement dust every. That was our race spoilt, we were all on tender hooks felt like we were on ice.

Any way everyone finished the race with no incidents. As expected our laptimes were 3 seconds off the pace which helped as no one broke out. Despie Roy and I taking a 2 min and 3 sec handicap start we had a very good scrap, see pics below.

Then the 2nd race , what a contrast, now I was 3 seconds quicker than qualifying and need less to say broke out. That didn't spoil the fun and all in all a great race.
Attachments
not what i was expecting to happen..........lets wait and see how it pans out
not what i was expecting to happen..........lets wait and see how it pans out
AT_Amadrift.jpg (54.69 KiB) Viewed 8289 times
Getting some help from Roy. Somehow managed straighten up the power slide to keep it on the track
Getting some help from Roy. Somehow managed straighten up the power slide to keep it on the track
AT_Ama_Push_Push_Roy.jpg (72.68 KiB) Viewed 8289 times
GTV6 2.8 TT Race Car
GTV6 3.0 White
GTV6 2.5 Red
GTV6 2.5 RIP (donor)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Find it quite amazing how you manage to power slide that wide rubber with that 2.5 motor . When that motor finally explodes you need to get that car up its power it had 20 years ago . I think it was in the region 400kw :) No pressure at all .
I think your boet is a bit scared of getting his wide body 300kw on the track as you have shown how to do low 13's at Zwartkops with that tiny motor that revs to 5500rpm then dies .
I told my old man you still running his old sub assembly with your heads and he reckons it should last for a few more races . I think it should have exploded already with all that continous thrashing it gets from being boosted . He put it together in three hours just by feel ten years ago .

Have you got a spare set of rain tyres yet ?
PowerMods911
Gold
Gold

Post by PowerMods911 »

Kevin, that power slide came about by late braking and gearing into 2 gear too early and locking up the rear.
I've become quite good at locking up the rear when changing down into the corners.
The likes of Guiseppe have seen me fighting to keep it on the track, in fact he had a vidoe on me in that same corner when I put in some late braking to get past.

Nice to know your Dad has confidence in the durability of the motor.
I did drop a valve last year (picture posted earlier) and we changed the piston with the motor in position.
If I recall one of the heads originally on the motor was suspect, which was confirmed when it popped the valve.
Since then she's been reliable.

Next race is at Kyalami at the end of May. The thinking is to keep running the car as is (don't fix whats not broken).
In the interim I'll take my time in building up the 24v motor.
GTV6 2.8 TT Race Car
GTV6 3.0 White
GTV6 2.5 Red
GTV6 2.5 RIP (donor)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yeah the one head was very dodgy and could have even been skimmed at an angle hence I stole a good head off that motor and put the dodgy one on that . Note reason why I gave that motor away for spares and then I find its being raced to death :D
That dodgy head was on the forum when I raced my old 2.5 and it kept throwing belts :)