IMG_8915.jpg (33.94 KiB) Viewed 10719 times
Andrew b
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Andrew,

A couple of questions:

1) Are those upper A-arms from Nick Humphries?

2) This is a 3.7 24V?

3) The cam pulleys have 4 extra bolts and the cam gear are slotted? Is this for added clamping force instead of relying on the single tapered end of the camshaft?

Impressive, especially the upright!
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Zamani wrote:Andrew,

A couple of questions:

1) Are those upper A-arms from Nick Humphries?

2) This is a 3.7 24V?

3) The cam pulleys have 4 extra bolts and the cam gear are slotted? Is this for added clamping force instead of relying on the single tapered end of the camshaft?

Impressive, especially the upright!
Thanks Z!

1. No. Nick has had pictures of similar arms on his website a long time ago, from a customers 75 evo racecar. He may have made a copy, but i'm not sure as he's no longer trading, i believe. These were from Alfa75 IMSA racecar.

2. Yes, 3.7 full race engine. Development cams, 1 off Jenvey t-bodies, specially made with carbon airbox, and so on.

3. No Z, this is only for adjusting the cam timing quickly, it has a degree scale machined into the pully for +- 10 deg.

4. Upright is very special. Improved camber gain on compression, very light and strong, adjustable steering arm ratio - so you can get very quick steering and use power rack, oversize bearing in the billet hubs, adjustable anti-dive with lower arm.

Hope you liked the pics! I'll have some more coming
Andrew b
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Very Interesting parts Andrew, I take it the upright is hollow from behind?
With any luck I should have some photos of Mid 90's Ford V8 supercar front suspension arms/upright, all beautifully fabbed steel....
I should dig out and scan some of the pics of got from an article on the 155 DTMs... special is not the word.

Ben
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Torsion bar splines in the lower arm? That's not right is it? :?

Very cool stuff anyway. :D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Mats wrote:Torsion bar splines in the lower arm? That's not right is it? :?

Very cool stuff anyway. :D
Hi Mats

Hey thanks man.

All the factory 75 evo/imsa used this bottom arm as far as I know.... For some reason the splined section was left on for whatever reason, possibly the same arm was used with torsion bars from the earlier 75 turbo racecars?

I have pictures from several factory race 75 turbo that all show the same arm............ any ideas mats?? have you any factory cars in your neck of the woods?
Andrew b
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

la_strega_nera wrote:Very Interesting parts Andrew, I take it the upright is hollow from behind?
With any luck I should have some photos of Mid 90's Ford V8 supercar front suspension arms/upright, all beautifully fabbed steel....
I should dig out and scan some of the pics of got from an article on the 155 DTMs... special is not the word.

Ben
You are correct Ben, hollowed out for weight saving.

Look forward to the pic's
Attachments
IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg (19.47 KiB) Viewed 10657 times
Andrew b
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Pic
Attachments
IMG_4657.jpg
IMG_4657.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 10652 times
Andrew b
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Nope, but the pics I took of the one standing in the Museo Storico looks exactly like the outer parts of the one you're showing. Same as upper and upright.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Mats wrote:Nope, but the pics I took of the one standing in the Museo Storico looks exactly like the outer parts of the one you're showing. Same as upper and upright.
Oh Sh*t they were your pictures!!!!!

Could you post them up here Mats, or send them to my mail address, I've been looking for them for ages, and they seem to have dissapeared off the net?

They must be the only close up pics of an IMSA showing the suspension that have been taken in the last 10 years!

We had a very late car here in the UK that had independant rear suspension, which bolted onto the rear transaxle......... it was like a dedion split in two - super cool.

The car was RHD as built for the last 75 races ever in Australia, but Alfa pulled the cars from the series, and they never raced! It had all the last evolution of bits, and I the engine made over 430bhp at a UK dyno at 2.2 bar!

Please post pics mat, or mail to my address andrew.photo@virgin.net

Thanks man!
Andrew b
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I had some of them up on my old site (www.alfa75turbo.com), I never bothered to set up the site again after the registrar stole the URL from me for some reason. :roll:

Snapped the pics so I could do a surface modelof the front end and I did, I actually measured my 75 t front and made a 'IMSA' look front end that would fit like a glove. The company went bust before I had a chance to mill a mold though. :x

Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Andrew ,hi..
The upper arms are complete...
Can you send me more detailed pics of the lower control arms?On a white background? The black on wood is very difficult for detail..
Then you got to bring the uprights with you next time..or put them into your race car..
I want to make the whole setup..
B :D
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Hey Barry,
How much would a set be? I assume it accommodates adjustable camber.
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Those lower arms are pretty interesting. Im impressed with the quality of construction and the retension of the torsion bar. I was thinking it wouldnt be too difficult to make an insert out of the spline part of an old lower arm for using in a fabbed one. Glad to see it can be done. The brace from the spline along the lower part of the arm shows it was clearly designed to be used with the torsion bars at one point in time. On the uprights the stock alfa wheel bearings seem whimpy. I was thinking if one goes to the trouble of making a whole new upright then perhaps a live spindle would be neat. Get the bearings away from brake heat too. Also, most new wheels allow moving the brakes a lot further outboard wich means the arms could potentially be lengthend somewhat. Something else I was thinking for those who run torsion bars is replacing the bushing with a bearing of some sort. That bushing is under huge load and therefore adds a lot of sticktion plus wears pretty fast. A bearing could be incorporated into a new lower arm design.

Ahhh, coffee and keyboards.

-Tom P.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

A fabricated lower arm together with a torsion bar sounds pretty difficult. The whole load would need to be transmitted through the arm and that means it needs to be beefy :shock:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!