Any and all Alfa Romeo Car advertisements (complete cars).
KevenA
Silver
Silver

85 GTV6 California

Post by KevenA »

Just got this as part of a trust to liquidate, Dads 1985 GTV6 69K miles mechanically everything is fine the paint looks bad - needs a repaint otherwise fine. any interest.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Re: 85 GTV6 California

Post by fedezyl »

Price? pictures?
KevenA
Silver
Silver

Post by KevenA »

I will take some pictures and drive it when I am out there next week, price wise tempt me. I know it runs and it has current tags so it passed the VA smog check.
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

OK, I'll take a crack at this.

My observations come from owning and upgrading one for 10 years and from Always Looking For Another.

Value in the US circa 2011:

$500-$1000 parts car with terminal rust

$1500-$2500 if in poor mechanical condition (bad synchros, poor compression, leaking head gaskets, failed emissions test for ubiquitous intake leaks, etc) with some rust, but not terminal rust (e.g. some rocker rust, window frame rust)

$3500-$5500 if in useable mechanical condition (daily driver with routine repair and replace taking place) with little or no rust

$8500-$10000 if in excellent condition all around (everything works, no rust), could win the annual convention concours

Maybe $12000-$15000 in showroom condition (e.g garage kept with 10,000 verified miles on it, maybe a handfull like this in the USA).

From the brief description given by KevenA this sounds like a $5000 car.

Ok, flame away board members! :wall:
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

It's hard to price a car without looking at it, and even then, pictures don't tell the whole story, the car may run but in need of a rebuild, a paint job can get expensive, I don't know in the U.S. but it can go for about 3000 dollars here for paint, add about 1500 dollars for rebuilding the interior (this is the cost in south america) and off you go with 4500 dollars....
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

fedezyl wrote:It's hard to price a car without looking at it, and even then, pictures don't tell the whole story, the car may run but in need of a rebuild, a paint job can get expensive, I don't know in the U.S. but it can go for about 3000 dollars here for paint, add about 1500 dollars for rebuilding the interior (this is the cost in south america) and off you go with 4500 dollars....
I agree. It sounds as if KevenA is not an Alfa guy, so I was just trying to give him some ballpark figures. It's not a $50,000 car, nor is it a $50 car, that's all.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
KevenA
Silver
Silver

Post by KevenA »

I really appreciate the feedback, this was my dads "the kids are all out of college" toy and I remember it as being amazing when he got it. If I had a place to keep it I would probably keep it - but I don't

My reason for posting it here is to find someone who would know what it is and would really enjoy owning it.

Are their any typical bad spots that I should take picture of - any special requests?
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

One way to find a suitable buyer is to place a classified ad in your local Alfa Romeo Owners' Club newsletter:

http://www.aroc-usa.org/chapters.php

Or, if it runs and is registered, another way is to take it to a local informal Saturday or Sunday morning cars & coffee show that are found around the country. People often browse for unusual cars there. Just stick a 'For Sale' sign on it and have a cup of coffee.

This board is probably not the right place since 1) it is international so many users are out of the USA, and 2) it is dominated by people interested in racing and performance modifications. You may have more luck at http://www.alfabb.com which is a more general-interest Alfa board.

Hope this helps.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

pics you need to include(not super close ups but big enought o see everything):

engine bay and shock mounts

outside particularily around windshield, wheel well arches, rocker panels rear hatch

underneath engine and transaxle

interior seats, dash, under floor mats

any know bad areas

and of course a short video of engine revving and exhaust while revving would be very helpful

THANKS
dawsonalfa
Silver
Silver

Post by dawsonalfa »

I may be interested. I own and mortally wounded gtv6 (my baby of 9 years) A young lady in Atlanta pulled out in front of a jetta and I two weeks ago.
KevenA
Silver
Silver

Post by KevenA »

well I finally made it out to the car, charged the battery and it started. idled and revved like it was down a cylinder changed the plugs and no help. the only rust on the car that I found was the passenger side mirror cover. Drove the car and it drove like sh*t - the clutch engagement point is mis-set so the clutch disengages in the first 1/2 inch of pedal travel and in my opinion slips under load - i found paperwork where it was recently redone and probably never set correctly. the dash has some nasty cracks and while the leather is OK the padding is shot. The body is straight and pretty clean. the odometer reads 78K. the tires look new.

My best guess is that this is a good base for a restoration, I can email pictures on request.

I am asking $3,000.