kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Good one MD.
Scott(MR2) , this method really works well when you are trying to make headers for the 24v conversion into the 116 GTV as there is no stock item avaliable. For 5hp to 7hp its worth it. The whole point of this is to upgrage your car where you can whether its on the headers or valve guides etc. Why leave the car standard when you can spend hours in the garage enjoying a good hobby !
Mats, those bends are easy to make up IF you have a whole bag of bends with various angles and radius's. You just cut and join them with spot welds until you have your shape.
Lucky us, we can go down the the road and get a bag.
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

I recall an earlier post where Greg suggested extrude honing and jet hot coating the stock manifolds. Any hp improvement estimate?

I just threw out a set of poorly built ANSA headers after failing to get them to seal properly. Anybody who wants them can pay for the shipping from NJ, USA. Just have to retrieve them from the garbage bin at EuroTec Motors. Perhaps they had a pavement encounter but in any event they did not have a nice design. So I've gone back to the stock cast manifolds with the non-cat flex pipes. Stock 3.0 with S cams so the net benefit of shit headers was probably zero. The engine is low miles and runs very strong, stock 9.0 pistons so maybe next spring is time for Gordonizing with a s/c.

I just got this car back in good-running shape after an Isuzu 6 ton delivery van shredded the passenger side. I'll give the details into another thread. Scored $13,000 in the insurance settlement based on a professional appraisal, which might be good info for others dealing with dreaded claims adjusters.
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

You bet Im interested in that appraiser. I have a 190e-16v mercedes in PERFECT ORIGINAL condition (was) that was hit in the rear. State Farm says its totaled at NADA of 5k.Ha! Cant find a good one for less than 7.5k in the US much less a perfect one. So I need professional help to fight these jerks. Good practice in case my verde gets hit

Tom P.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Tom,

While it may be different in Texas, here the insurance co is required to get comparable vehicle sales ads....and can't use the "book value".

The point of insurance is to put you back where you were. Don't settle the claim unless they provide proof that their valuation is accurate.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

hey peter if you still have those headers and they will fit a 2.5 83 gtv6..i want em...ill rework em as needed
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Insurance

Post by tImBoWe »

I read something the other day that said "Insurance will give you an unbrella on a sunny day but when it rains it gets snatched back." Too true. I hate it. But unfortunatly it is a nessesary evil :evil: .
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey Guys,

Maybe we can start a new thread on insurance. This topic should be performance related. I'm interested in some kind of good quality insurance on an occasional use car too. And I'm interested to know which will offer the best coverage and how to get a fair amount if my car is hit (God forbid!).

I'll start it under Others and we can post our experiences there.

http://alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p= ... 28df#15038
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

Z - sorry for creating that diversion. I'll post up the insurance information shortly, on the new thread.

I am still interested on experience regarding extrude honing and jet hot coating the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds.

ShOrtlife, I need to go by my Mechanic's shop tomorrow and see if those headers did not get tossed. The pipes are two pieces, comprised of the actual header section and then the collector pipes that go back to a ANSA center section. Major sealing issue is at the header/collector junction. The one piece flanges have only three studs so pressure distribution is poor and they tend to leak and burn the copper gaskets. Three individual pipes come off the collector and run down under the car, then merge into one - the merge from 3-1 is not in synch with the comments in the earlier posts on optimum collector volume and design. Looks a bit like the old shankle-style header but is an ANSA part. Previous owner installed so I don't know the actual source. With some good machining and welding perhaps you can improve both the flange and the 3-1 merge.

But I am getting ahead of myself, let me see if they did not make their way to the scrap heap. I'm in the UK today and so am off to see if I can test drive a new alfa, and buy up their supply of driveline donuts, another topic again. I'll be back in the USA tomorrow and will let you know. Peter
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

Z - sorry for creating that diversion. I'll post up the insurance information shortly, on the new thread.

I am still interested on experience regarding extrude honing and jet hot coating the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds.

ShOrtlife, I need to go by my Mechanic's shop tomorrow and see if those headers did not get tossed. The pipes are two pieces, comprised of the actual header section and then the collector pipes that go back to a ANSA center section. Major sealing issue is at the header/collector junction. The one piece flanges have only three studs so pressure distribution is poor and they tend to leak and burn the copper gaskets. Three individual pipes come off the collector and run down under the car, then merge into one - the merge from 3-1 is not in synch with the comments in the earlier posts on optimum collector volume and design. Looks a bit like the old shankle-style header but is an ANSA part. Previous owner installed so I don't know the actual source. With some good machining and welding perhaps you can improve both the flange and the 3-1 merge.

But I am getting ahead of myself, let me see if they did not make their way to the scrap heap. I'm in the UK today and so am off to see if I can test drive a new alfa, and buy up their supply of driveline donuts, another topic again. I'll be back in the USA tomorrow and will let you know. Peter
tomp
Gold
Gold

Post by tomp »

Ok, sorry about that, insurance touched a nerve there. Man, why do the aussies have mandrel benders and laser cutters on every corner and in texas we got nuthin. Speaking of the collector volume I know Burns stainless has a merge collector design service: http://www.burnsstainless.com/Xdesign/xdesign.html Inputs are things like cam timing, header primary sizes. valve and port diameters. Looks like a cam has to be selected before starting a header project. Guess there arent too many choices for the alfa v6 motors though.
-Tom P.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

well peter hopefull you can still lay your hands on em...ive custom made and modified headers for v8's in the past so as i see them'if' ytou can still grab em..they would be a great starting spot to work from
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

The extrude hone isn't cheap. About $550 I think, you can check their website. And the problem is, the primaries are still too short
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

ShOrtlife - just sent you a private message so we can take this off the thread.

Z - thanks for the pricing information on extrude honing. Advantage of the cast iron is durability and the sound is good, not to mention that they are back on my car right now and I've pretty much spent my budget for this year (the most practical consideration).

Peter
max_75
Silver
Silver

Post by max_75 »

MR2 Zig wrote:I don't mean to rain on anyones parade, but has anyone done a dyno comparison of the stock manifolds to the headers/extractors?

Granted I'm new to Alfas, but the stock iron manifolds look to be pretty good as is. I can see a weight benifit to headers, but if the hp gain is only 5hp then it sounds like a really expensive exersise (putting headers on) that comes with a bunch of headaches (heat, clearance, etc.).

just my .02

Scott
i remember someone from BMW William said, exhaust system is the 2nd important thing about performance..
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I found a place which sells flat 3-1 flat collectors. They are kind of a merge type collector but I was told that this is not as good as the conventional merge collector

http://www.666fabrication.com/files/3into1_2.jpg

The good thing about this collector is:
1) Price is reasonable
2) Looks to be TIG welded
3) good for clearence
a) if you merge the primaries under the car
b) merge the primaries in the engine bay (close to the starter motor)