sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

dual exhaust?

Post by sh0rtlife »

i was under the gtv6 hanging the TS box a few weeks back and noticed that not only the driver side has a few "dimple" points for exhaust but the passenger side has all the same dimpling points....looked under whats left of the milano and sure enuf same points.....after seeing some 164's i noticed the rear bumper has a plug for dual exhaust

did alfa EVER offer the gtv6 or milano with dual exhaust?...does anyone make a dual exhaust.....would the 2.5 be happier with dual exhaust and what would it do to the lovely song of the v6?
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Re: dual exhaust?

Post by ar4me »

sh0rtlife wrote:after seeing some 164's i noticed the rear bumper has a plug for dual exhaust
That cover is probably for tow hook.
sh0rtlife wrote:did alfa EVER offer the gtv6 or milano with dual exhaust?...does anyone make a dual exhaust.....would the 2.5 be happier with dual exhaust and what would it do to the lovely song of the v6?

No GTV6 or Milano with dual exhaust from Alfa. I had a custom dual exhaust on 3.7 Milano. No center muffler and 2 Lincoln tubular resonators towards the rear. Sounded ok.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

just "ok" ??? so i take it single sounds better?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

A true dual exhaust system is not a great idea. The two cylinder banks need to join up somewhere for effective low rpm scavenging (all the usual disclaimers here apply, normally aspirated, street motor, etc.). I used to make a dual system with side exits for the GTV6. There are a few videos showing how it sounds somewhere on this site.

Greg
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

sh0rtlife wrote:just "ok" ??? so i take it single sounds better?
Never heard that engine with stock exhaust - don't get me wrong, it sounded great, but that wasn't really that important on that car. There may be some video somewhere...
Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Has anyone tried a twin system that incorperates an X-pipe?
Where both sides join together for a short length and then seperate again.
Apparently they help quite a bit and are farely popular with the v8 fraternity, atleast here in Australia.
Nikoror
Gold
Gold

Post by Nikoror »

magnaflow straight through x-pipe muffler bolts on to ansa headers.
http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rsae/pictures/022007/15.jpg
Rice SAE
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

like the looks of that..but thats side out just in front of the rear tires isnt it......no room to do that any more
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Arrrgh i wouldnt bother with it Shorty, are you going turbo with this?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

GarthW wrote:Arrrgh i wouldnt bother with it Shorty, are you going turbo with this?

not "yet" :wink: ....ive considered it but if i do it will be a LONG LONG way down the road

i was mostly thinking that it would be less heat on 1 caliper and spread some heat over to the other rear caliper......actualy im thinking about changing the shape of the floor over the transaxle to allow for the exhaust to be further away from the calipers

my other thought was it would be a bit free'er flowing and maybe sound even better
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Duk wrote:Has anyone tried a twin system that incorperates an X-pipe?
Where both sides join together for a short length and then seperate again.
Apparently they help quite a bit and are farely popular with the v8 fraternity, atleast here in Australia.
It's a must on a V6, no doubt. It"s OK for a V8 without it but not for a V6. I had for a short while a completly separeted system under my car and there were holes in the throttle and the rev up. Then I read some books about it and ask the guy at the exhaust workshop to install an X-pipe for me. And now it's way better to use.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

BUT there is also a bit of science involved in where to put the crossover and even the shape/merge.
I've seen testing on a V8 but never on a V6.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Any time accoustic tuning is involved (inlet manifolds and exhaust systems) there is always science, dark art and some trial and error involved.
Against the grain of the orriginal question, but would a long primary pipe (30-36") 6 into 1 with a goilet collector be the ideal arrangement for a road car?
Obviously not practicle under a front engined car, but a comparison on an engine dyno with a twin system would be interesting.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

x pipe was a must imo already....but the question is...where do you mount it..and would a x-flow muffler be even better...doing the job of crosovering and queiting at the same time?
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I remember discussions for the V8 on straight "H" pipe setups you would use cheap spray paint on the down pipes, start the engine and let it warm, and put the "H" inbetween the downpipes where the paint quit burning off.

Chrysler was the first to use the "H" pipe arrangement on thier big luxury cars for noise control.

I have no idea on where to put an "X" pipe arrangment, but I'd wager a guess that it would go nearer the engine where it would best fit the chassis. Not necessarily where it would do the engine the most good.

scott