x
Gold
Gold

Exhaust manifold (Nord)

Post by x »

Some pics of my new stainless steel exhaust manifold.
Primaries measure 42mm OD and 38-40cm each in length.Secondaries are 45mm OD that become 50mm, then 55mm and merge into 60mm OD final.
2 free flow mufflers (middle and rear).
It definitely improved engine response through all gears and along with a change in venturi size (40mm from 37mm) has given more potential for further improvement.
I think that at last the time has come to dyno the car (although i already got some clues from the Desktop dyno simulator).
Stay tuned...

X
Attachments
Engine 14.JPG
Engine 14.JPG (231.44 KiB) Viewed 10590 times
Exhaust manifold.JPG
Exhaust manifold.JPG (178.28 KiB) Viewed 10589 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: Exhaust manifold (Nord)

Post by Greg Gordon »

Those look to be very well made. Nice job.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

Thanks Greg,
that comforts me a bit considering what i went through to supply the guy that made it with the correct laser-cut 10mm thick metal flanges...

X
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

You already know my comments about both the exhaust and the toy-simulator! :roll:
Go dyno the damn thing and after your ears fall off, THEN I'll help you add TWO more cylinders! :twisted:
Its April 1st today so we won't believe ANY reasonable dyno figures. If you want to feel better, go to the dyno that adds...tax to the power result, :lol:
Jim K.
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

My dear friend (and whale heavy v6 owner),
of course i had no intention to dyno the car on April the 1st so you will have to wait a bit, to see a power to weight combo that would exist only in your wildest dreams as far as your frigate is concerned... :twisted:
By the way (and regarding the so called toy simulator) i learned that your 'professional' software revealed (when you entered the appropriate data) that a Buggatti Veyron has barely 98 crank horsepower on a good day ...Isn't that a bit optimistic or what? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Come by Vassilis on Saturday, bring your coal powered laptop and the simulator for lawnmower hp figures that you have and then we'll see what we can do for you...
AND DON'T FORGET THE BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR THAT YOU OWE ME...he...he...he :twisted:

X
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

MR X

While you are on this rebuild /revival kick, why not strip down the brake master cylinder and the booster assy, sand blast it all and give it a nice paint job to make your engine bay consistant. While you are at it, install a heat shield between the headers and the brake master assy to reduce radiant heat cooking your brake fluid?

As for the Greekster, well he's not feeling himself this week (not that anyone wants to see that sort of thing).

He lost a kilo of olives at the bus stop and he's kind of getting over the tongue lashing when he got home... :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

Hi MD,
you are absolutely right about the heatshield and this in fact is on my top priority list for next week...
As for the master cylinder i myself hate its 100 year old looks but the fact that i use the car everyday for the last 7 months has prohibited a job which i am afraid will require a couple of days and leave me without any means of transportation...
As for JK i am seriously thinking of buying him a National Geographic DVD about the great blue whales, so that he will have some material to study upon while trying to improve his lap times (which i confess i have not yet seriously challenged...)

X
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hi X,

Is the a stock Alfetta booster/servo? Looks like it came from a GTV6/90/75 V6
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I think you're on the money Zeefa but hey whatdoes it matter?

After I built my racing brakes and decided not to use a booster, I now wonder why in the world I ever worried about it in the first place. If you want maximum brake feel and you are a normal able bodied person and you don't drive with Cinderella glass slippers on, you don't need a booster-road car or otherwise.

The trick is to get the correct pedal lever to master cylinder ratio correct so you have enough leverage and then it's a breeze. You'll never need to worry about a booster and all that useless weight again.

..that's gottcha thinkin..

Sorry exee, just sent you manifold topic to the moon again...I gotta stop doin that.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Well he said his booster looked like a 100 years old. Was wondering if the JGreekster whom you said lost some olives at the bus stop (with a trench coat I believe) drooled over it, causing the rust...

BTW X, was that mandrel bent? Looks nice. But how is it different than most other offerings? Is it the pipe size? Most manifolds I see for the 116 are like yours.

I've stopped chasing for the 12V extractors. It will get a set of custom cams and that's it, on to the 24V (which I already have custom extractors for).
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

You'll all get yours one day....soon..your last car will be a station-wagon (think about it) and I'LL BE DRIVIN' IT!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hey X, whaddya need the brakes for?? You never go fast enough to use them!! Get rid of them, you may pick up some speed coasting downwind because of the weight loss: 4 calipers +master cylinder +rotors is about 20-30kg! under normal circumstances I'd propose you also leave your brains home too for further weight loss but I don't think 1 or 2 grams would make a difference in how your Briggs & Stratton goes! :mrgreen:
If the Perf.Trends simulator proves better than your...Tonka Toy (hahah!) on Saturday, I get a free lunch!! (and none of that 'I gotta go, my fiance wants me home' crap!)
Jim K.
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

Zamani,
yes they are mandrel bent.
Significant differences from the usual Ansa, Supersprint etc stuff are:
1)the intake port geometry which is far better in this one, and
2)the optimum lengths and diameters of the tubing let alone the far better shape...
Thing is that if you want the best manifold for a 116series 4cyl car the only solution is to try and make one (if only P. Spruell produced headers for our cars as well, things would be quite different though).

JK:I know that you intend to become an active 'Save the whales' campaign supporter and i wish you the best regarding your tremendous effort to overcome the 2.000kilos limit with your Caterpillar...ehmmm sorry, Milano. :twisted:
By the way, i do have some pretty strong ropes that could be useful next time you want to enter a harbor...ehmmm sorry i meant racetrack, with your Alfa badged frigate (or is it an oil tanker, i get confused sometimes...) :lol: :lol: :lol:

X
x
Gold
Gold

Post by x »

and yes Z the brake booster is indeed from a GTV6 (22mm) and not the standard Alfetta one (20mm).

X
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey X,

That got me thinking, the 3.0 should at least have 42mm as it displaces just as much as the 2.0 per cylinder. But what do we have? A pee shooter 38.1mm. Would definitely be interested in your dyno numbers.
Dr. Alban