With the oldest GTV6 nearing 40 years in service, a forum to document projects and restoration seems sensible.
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: SA GTV6 2.5 restoration and few minor mods !

Post by MD »

Sure that has to help but there is more to it than just a light throttle spring. The travel form zero to hero is too long causing the pedal to be too high so you have to lift your ankle back to an unnatural position. To get it just right the whole thing virtually needs a custom fit for the individual. A shitload of stuffing around in my case anyway.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Yes .. on standard set up pedal is too long but for touring and non track use with foot rest it’s fine . Having said that on my race car I changed the ratio of travel by keeping exact same pedal set up but then the cable wraps around a small grooved outlet wheel I had machined. By varying the diameters of the wheel this altered the pedal travel. As the wheel is round ( like most should be:)) the pedal is totally linear to throttle opening unlike the 164 wheel on plenum . It starts off more oval .. this was before drive by wire where you can map your different throttle curves.
So I used a 50mm Diam wheel which gave a decent throttle ratio.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Everyone has their own personal brand of oil the like for engine and gearbox. For the racing car with the plate types lSD I always used the Redline 75w90NS but for the standard gearbox without the LS I am following local advice ( Alex - AJM) and going with the Millers. It works out about £17/litre.
Let's see how it goes.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (156.71 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (151.04 KiB) Viewed 6459 times
Last edited by KevinR on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Basically finished off " most " mechanical items. Just waiting for a spare set of wheels to come back from restoration before cars goes back onto the floor. In the meantime working on aircon valve replacement and new control unit. Their are no replacements for this part so plan is to separate the part into two pieces. First piece is tan adaptor to fit the a/c unit with a 14mm outlet to fit the Mini heater valve unit . Here some pics to explain it better.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (106.53 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (116.46 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.52 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

If I cut heater hose really short so the adaptor and heater valve butt up against each other it becomes firm enough to allow the cable to operate the valve without moving the unit. Now I need drain the water from engine to connect pipes up so it does not run all over the carpets.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (99.08 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (126.15 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

HEATERS !! Who needs heaters in 35*C 24/7? :D

OK I will make a contribution for the other wimps out there besides you Kevin.

You don't have to make it all happen under the dash and break your back in the process. You can install a motorized valve or a cable valve in the engine compartment from where the heater tubes come from in the first place.

Cheers big ears.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

MD, now you tell me about these good ideas ! Could have saved all the physio money for new headlights.
But while I was busting my back under the dash I took the opportunity to fit four new 5 pin relays each side for the electric windows.
5 pin relays allow the one pin to be in a earth position (87a) before been energised. ( depending on wiring). This works perfectly for electric windows where there are two wires out that change polarity depending on the switch direction. The windows fly up and down now ! If anyone wants the wiring diagram for it I can put it up.
I have encased the relays on both sides of car with a plastic box to prevent any water or condensation dripping through windscreen happens to drip into the side panels.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (116.26 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
Last edited by KevinR on Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Well for under dash work I hope you took out the seat and laid a nice mattress. That’s how always do it. Like the one of the master cylinders in the LHD 164, definitely requires a mattress and the seat taken out.

I agree with MD, I used a valve on the engine side for my Milano for the heater. Although I don’t usually agree with him, like “who needs power steering”. Who needs it? Well JK does! And so do I :D
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Z, I think if I put the mattres in the car I would just go to sleep. I do remove the steering wheel when doing the clutch master to make life easier. This is assuming I know this steering wheel comes off easily.
When my 164 clutch master went I decided right then I was not going to that job :D
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

So while I was stuck under the dash ( again) after work today I fitted new heater hose to my new heater valve set up. I coincided this with fitting a new oils pressure sender unit. I could not get the spanner under the old sender unit and rotate it with the heater hoses in the way. So timing was perfect. Next time I will purchase a crows foot 17 spanner !
You can see from pic how little room their is and this is far worse on the GTV 3.0 carb car . The carbs are right up against bulkhead so nearly all skin will be removed from your hand by the time the job was done.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (108.99 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (125.77 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.64 KiB) Viewed 6366 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Kevin. DO NOT overlook replacing and well covering the copper wire coil area unless you want wet carpets. Should be able to get a handful of that shmoo from any airconditioning workshop just by asking. In the tropics, the condensate just runs off like water..

..and as for you young Zeefa, the only reason you would want power steering on a rear wheel drive Alfa is if you needed your other hand to hold the hand bag. HAhahaHAAA !!
Now I know the Greekster doesn't own a handbag cause he is way too poor to own one. However he uses his free hand for other amusement purposes. HhhhHHHAAAAAAHHAA !!

:wall:
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Excellent tip MD. I will get some of this goo ordered .
I think Jim’s other hand might be on his fly off handbrake as I heard he’s into drifting.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Like the way you see it Kevin. :D

Rumour has it that he has recently demonstrated his drifting skills by driving blindfolded. Not to worry, they found him 6 days later in Turkey.
Never created a single problem, the fuzz just though he was wearing a bikini burqa.

Keep up the good work fella.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

It's called a man bag.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

I think Jims on vacation again .... Maybe on some beach in Brisbane :)
Moving along.
Weather has been poor so only small items done but they all add up to a better functioning or should I say correctly functioning GTV.
Going through my snag list and servicing list I got these few item sorted out today.
New speakers fitted in the front door cards as old ones were moisture damaged. I have made sure their is plastic behind them and longer tails on the wires to them so you can remove the card with sufficient distance then disconnect them.
The nylon cable alongside bonnet catch wire was perished from heat so this was changed. I have used cable with rivet head crimped on the ends to secure the end.
The fuse box has been cleaned up with all residue on the ceramic fuse tips cleaned. Having said that, it was in excellent shape already. New fuses as per owners manual fitted . First three 16A followed by 8A . The electric windows were also 16A.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (115.17 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (100.81 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (112.9 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (136.84 KiB) Viewed 6267 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (108.52 KiB) Viewed 6267 times