la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

As it is in the very centre of the disc it should have almost no effect on the balance of the disc.
This sort of work should *only* be performed using a lathe.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hey Mats, I had a set of those plastic rings on the 16" MO's and after the first track session they both disintegrated like dry coal (brake heat)!! Pulled the wheels out to put the street ones on and the rings fell out in charrsd pieces! Its only aluminum rings since then!
Jim K.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Tomer,I take the center spigot out from 58.8mm on a gta disc to 78mm and also to 85mm...The race brakes I just did work very well btw..These I took to 78mm..And look at the ally spigot used to center them,2mm material ONLY !!Its all in the clamping force,not in the spigot...
Attachments
DSC00036.JPG
DSC00036.JPG (156.43 KiB) Viewed 8304 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

The spigot can be seen clearly here..This whole assy is bolted together..no million parts on the floor shit when it comes to changing the discs....
Attachments
DSC00038.JPG
DSC00038.JPG (149.89 KiB) Viewed 8302 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D While Im on a roll here,the stud girdle is a one piece affair,it gets pushed back through the assy. after removing the 2x 8mm hold bolts.The disc is then changed and the stud girdle is pushed back into the hub assy and the hold bolts tightened .. :arrow:
Attachments
DSC00040.JPG
DSC00040.JPG (147.1 KiB) Viewed 8301 times
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Jim,

almost all rims (at least in Germany) nowadays have these plastic rings. We have been doing A LOT of track driving (several hundred sets of rims) and never any problems. I have them on my race car as well. Then again I don't let the wheel, hub or bearings get up to 800 deg C.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah, never heard of it either.

So Jim, how do you think that bearing grease is holding up..? :D :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Barry wrote::D While Im on a roll here,the stud girdle is a one piece affair,it gets pushed back through the assy. after removing the 2x 8mm hold bolts.The disc is then changed and the stud girdle is pushed back into the hub assy and the hold bolts tightened .. :arrow:
Welding on hardened bolts always makes me nervous :S
Why you guys don't just convert to a 3" long ARP 1/2" wheel stud i don't quite get? They're plenty long for any need, and have a big splined shank for pressing into the flange/disc.... no need to weld and you'll never break them?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

la_strega_nera wrote: Welding on hardened bolts always makes me nervous :S
Why you guys don't just convert to a 3" long ARP 1/2" wheel stud i don't quite get? They're plenty long for any need, and have a big splined shank for pressing into the flange/disc.... no need to weld and you'll never break them?
Some of us have. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I'm going with splined bolts too. It should solve the spinning bolt problem. I know small tack welds don't stop the spinning syndrome.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Not available here,cost a load,and the ht bolts work as good..
Ive never had one fail on any of the conversions I have done..

Ben,I agree with you on the splined jobs though..

Z,POst a pic of your spline bolt on your car,will ya??
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Barry wrote:Not available here,cost a load,and the ht bolts work as good..
Ive never had one fail on any of the conversions I have done..

Ben,I agree with you on the splined jobs though..

Z,POst a pic of your spline bolt on your car,will ya??
Sorry Barry, I forgot about the supply issue you've got to work around... from memory my 3" studs cost about $30 for a pack of 5?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Ben,Is that Canadian,Us,or window money your talking here?
Thats not a bad price for the right thing..Luckily were out of the black times(excuse the pun here.. 8) )where we could not bring these things in...

Zman,If you try welding ht bolts heads to cast iron...it will fail 100% of the time..Thats the reason for the 5mm mild steel ring....Ive just had a cast iron ht bolt episode that had to be sorted..the bvery same race car I did the brakes on here...
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hey Mats, bearing grease (greece??) no problem. Must be the heavy braking track/high weight/hot summer combo. if I recall right, temps on the outside surface of the wheel between the wheelnuts were 110*C and I was amazed (yes the IR gun was calibrated). I thought it strange that wheels and tires had similar temps (front left: 115-110-106, the most heavily loaded one, I know, need more neg camber but its a street car so 2.5* is enough. These are BS 540S 205/50-16) As for bearings, I have to change them about once every year or 2 years, depending on how many times we hit the track. The camber and 25mm offset doesn't do them any good! Rear bearings hold up much better, only changed them once in 5 years, naturally the rear left crapped out first but I always change in pairs.
Re my own stud arrangement for big discs+alloy hats, I'll post pics of my setup when I take it apart. I use std studs with a special arrangement, no welding. Depending on wheel type used, you may have to use wheelnuts with a longer neck in some applications, as long as you can thread ~6-8 turns, I think thats enough.
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

You boys make me sick. Sick I tell you!! Never happy with what you got. Always pissing about changing things. I have had a gutfull of your nonsense. I'm telling your father when he comes home from work and then we'll see who's got hot pants.

Meantime, I'm off to read my Women's Weekly... :lol:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse