John in Denver
Silver
Silver

Post by John in Denver »

Mericet: did your lines from Performatek work out OK?? The ones that I had that leaked were made by "BrakeQuip".
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

shortlife
but ive always been a straight line racer not one for corners..
This made me laugh... Mate, that's a bit like going snorkelling in your own bath tub. So what happened? How did you wind up with a car that was MADE FOR CORNERS !! ??

Appreciate your candidature though. :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

well seriously my 69 i built to go straight with masive modifications as well as 5.33 gears, slicks and all the normal drag stuff....the alfa well its a curse of mine to be capable of working on anything with almost neer zero info on the car and pickup the info as if it was stored in my brain already....i put the car back together for a friend who then sold it to another friend...never got paid for it while the car was beat on ..at wich time it got repoed..and handed to me to fix....he owed me a bunch of money and simply didnt want to fus with it and said "its yours" ......soooo now here i am asking a few minor questions here or there that i simply want to verify since my brain has a basic working walk over of the car itself......my wife loves the car even tho she cant drive due to medical reasons...but for extended drives it doesnt hurt her as much as anything else we have....

it used to be id go out in the country and blast down the straights and slow to a crawl for a corner takeing it as fast as i dared in a cuda...now i enjoy the corners as much as those straight line blasts

btw guys thanx for all the input as well as putting up with my random ?'s
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

OK I see. That puts a whole new slant on things. Best of luck with the project and welcome to corners- the other reason for having adrenal glands ! :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Shortlife,

Belive it or not the A body cudas can be made to go round a corner and stop more than once. My E body car will now do that and the Abody cars are lighter. Of course its like hitting a thumbtack with a 20 lb sledge hammer, but the job gets done :lol:

I've seen the Goodrich(sp?) Brake lines around for a long time in the motorcycle world and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

DOT approved would be the way to go if you have a choice.

The best way to check for leaks would be to get the new lines in and blead(sp?), then hose off the relavent connections with brake cleaner, and start the car (cars with power brakes) and stand on the brakes for 10-15 minutes. Use a lot more pedal pressure than you would need to stop the car. Then inspect the connections. Use of brake cleaner is reccomended because it won't contaminate the brakes, it dries fast, and it dries out the remaining dirt around the fittings so you san easily see any leaks. If anything is remotely damp after standing on the brake pedal like I suggest, then you have work to do, if not you're done.

HTH,
Scott
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Matter of fact I think Goodrich (goodridge?) is regarded as the standard that most folks look to as being the best on the market for brake lines.

Scott
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

guess i start looking into that band and see how the pockets look atm LOL since im fully aware that the car needs lines as i looked em over and there cracking...but after fitting a bmw 23MM mc into it the car has changed dynamicly..course it had a 20mm on it for some unknown reason and the stock 22mm siezed and in a box of spares...its still got an odd feel to it at times and since i rebuilt all 4 calipers as well as flushed all lines with brake clean and put in ate blue the rubber lines are the only weak link IMO

im aware cudas "can" corner but ive been tuneing for straight line for a long time and well the only cornering i ever did in my 69 envolved slideing around corners..but 500+hp in a stiff 2600lb car and a 90%lsd will do that if ya goose it even with a 315 tire out back lol..my 68 cuda however likes corners ..but my 67 has been turned into a stoplight racer
Mericet
Gold
Gold

Post by Mericet »

John in Denver wrote:Mericet: did your lines from Performatek work out OK?? The ones that I had that leaked were made by "BrakeQuip".
John, the ones from Performatek is in fact manufactured by Goodridge. No prblems installing them (except for getting some rusty old brake lines to come off) but I have not bleeded the calipers and put pressure in the system yet.
Neil C.

85 GTV 6 "Benna della ruggine e mangiatore dello zoccolo"