killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Some more brake upgrades for the 116-Barry

Post by killaz »

Hello everybody, friend and I catch a "big brakes" virus and bought two sets of calipers (him GTA and I 166v6).

Does anyone have drawing of adapter brackets for GTA or 166v6 calipers? -It would help to do conversion a lot faster...

Thanks in advance. 8)

Edit: Some pics...

fly_lice
Silver
Silver

Post by fly_lice »

Killaz,

I too have the same series 1 GTA calipers and wish to make adaptors. Seems nobody could help when I asked the same question in an earlier post.

If you do manage to find a way to adapt these brakes I would be most appreciative if you could share this information.

Many thanks.
|-Transaxle Pride-|
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

No problem - mine are these bigger calipers and I'll probably make cad model and post it here... Don't know about my friend and his GTA 1st series.
Doc.Alfa
Silver
Silver

Post by Doc.Alfa »

Have you made the adapter brackets, i need a set to!!
Can you make a set more??
Søren
Denmark
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I was not able to make adaptor brackets for these calipers to make them fit inside a 15' rim so I made aternative brackets which I probably would not suggest but have lasted two seasons of racing. See thread. Imsure if some one thinks outside the box for a design I can get a few made.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2048&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=210
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Im ready to change brakes on race car to these VARI calipers which are made speciffically for a race series here, so they have been thoroughly tested and use an off shelf Performance Friction pad. There is no flex in these calipers and are nothing like some other annodised calipers posted previous on this forum. If 15 inch rims were not a prerequisite than i think it would be pretty easy to make a bracket for the Brembos and I would continue to use them. These calipers are 20mm narrower per side which will give more room for 315mm gta disc.
Check pic -
Attachments
IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3202.JPG (96.11 KiB) Viewed 9307 times
IMG_3200.JPG
IMG_3200.JPG (90.98 KiB) Viewed 9308 times
gaborb
Silver
Silver

Post by gaborb »

I went through this topic and haven't really found exact info about material should be used for caliper brackets. So what would you suggest? Setup will be 156 GTA 305mm disk + 4pot Brembo calipers from 166 V6.

thanks,
gabor
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

Steel plate is a nice material, 8 or 10mm bar stock is good, available in up to 150mm width. It has the advantage of being fairly easy to work with grinders etc and taps nicely, plus is cheap and available anywhere.
I mock up adaptors in MDF, it will drill and tap well enough for pattern work, then transfer it to steel when I have it right. The MDF makes several prototypes easy to make.
I adapted big calipers and discs to my motorcycle, exactly the same principle:

Regards, Andrew.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Doc.Alfa wrote:Have you made the adapter brackets, i need a set to!!
Can you make a set more??
Søren
Denmark
Bought everything but didn't started working on it... :( I decided to go with 300mm disc from Mercedes so if you plan some other discs, these brackets will not fit.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

gaborb wrote:I went through this topic and haven't really found exact info about material should be used for caliper brackets. So what would you suggest? Setup will be 156 GTA 305mm disk + 4pot Brembo calipers from 166 V6.

thanks,
gabor
Daniel is currently creating a model of my 166 calipers in solidworks as an alternative to the GTA calipers that are proving annoying due to their narrow bolt spacing clashing with the upright with the 305mm discs... CNC brackets shouldn't be too big a step from there :P
His new Porsche 928S4 with VE comodore rotor setup looks pretty good:
Attachments
10-10-30 002.jpg
10-10-30 002.jpg (67.32 KiB) Viewed 8689 times
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
gaborb
Silver
Silver

Post by gaborb »

la_strega_nera wrote:
gaborb wrote:I went through this topic and haven't really found exact info about material should be used for caliper brackets. So what would you suggest? Setup will be 156 GTA 305mm disk + 4pot Brembo calipers from 166 V6.

thanks,
gabor
Daniel is currently creating a model of my 166 calipers in solidworks as an alternative to the GTA calipers that are proving annoying due to their narrow bolt spacing clashing with the upright with the 305mm discs... CNC brackets shouldn't be too big a step from there :P
His new Porsche 928S4 with VE comodore rotor setup looks pretty good:
I was checking this weekend how the Alfa 166 caliper would fit. Hmmm, not quite...

I first made a roughly 10mm spacer in between the hub and disk.
10mm spacer for GTA disk.jpg
10mm spacer for GTA disk.jpg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 8581 times
You can see, there is hardly 1mm gap between the disk and the upright.
1mm gap between upright and disk.jpg
1mm gap between upright and disk.jpg (60.84 KiB) Viewed 8581 times
Then here is the issue. The caliper cannot slide enough towards the center as its mounting points touching the upright ears. There is about 15mm, I would need to further push the caliper for full brake pad/disk touch.
Need to slide in about 15mm.jpg
Need to slide in about 15mm.jpg (71.42 KiB) Viewed 8582 times
The upright ears are blocking the caliper. There are about 1-1.5mm overlap in between the two parts.
Need to overlap the caliper and ears 1.jpg
Need to overlap the caliper and ears 1.jpg (59.76 KiB) Viewed 8584 times
Need to overlap the caliper and ears 2.jpg
Need to overlap the caliper and ears 2.jpg (68.37 KiB) Viewed 8584 times
gaborb
Silver
Silver

Post by gaborb »

So the question is:

Can I shave off this about 1-1.5mm from the inner side of the caliper in between its 2 mounting points? I probably need to take the material out only in a shape of the upright ears. Or would it weaken out the caliper too much?

Few pictures to illustrate what I'm asking...

Caliper and its mounting points:
Alfa166 Brembo caliper.jpg
Alfa166 Brembo caliper.jpg (57.66 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
This is the rough mockup for the ears, I need to shave off the 1.5 mm thickness in this shape.
Alfa166 Brembo caliper with ears mockup 1.jpg
Alfa166 Brembo caliper with ears mockup 1.jpg (71.21 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
Showing it on the outside of the caliper too:
Alfa166 Brembo caliper with ears mockup 2.jpg
Alfa166 Brembo caliper with ears mockup 2.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
OR

Would you guys suggest to go for the option Kevin chose. Cut off the ears from the upright, and drill new holes closer to the ears' neck, so there wouldn't be any modification needed on the calipers.

Cheers
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Here's the solution I used for a similar problem, in order to mount Lancia Integrale Evo calipers on the previous 3liter car. Whatever weight was added to the uprights was offset by these calipers -much lighter than Brembo red 4-pots!
Jim K.
Attachments
P8260002a.jpg
P8260002a.jpg (121.71 KiB) Viewed 8506 times
P8090003a.jpg
P8090003a.jpg (124.29 KiB) Viewed 8508 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

JK

I can't make that out clearly. Is that conversion plate held on by 2 M6 bolts or is it welded onto the upright?

Tx
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Its all welded up and then machined. The 3 M6 bolts are for the seal shroud and (what's left of) the stone guard plate. The plate was cut off after the discs warped after every trackday...took a while to figure out the lack of even cooling (because of the plate) caused distortion and subsequent brake judder! After the operation, problem solved. :roll:
Jim K.