mmelton
Silver
Silver

Master Cylinder Installation

Post by mmelton »

My brake master cylinder's going. Ordered a new one and intend to install it at Alfa Stan's this Sunday.

Could someone give me the procedure? Am I gonna have to start with removing the seat and crawling under the dash as with clutch cylinder replacement? It looks like it unbolts from the front of the brake booster, instead. But, if so, what then?

'preciate any instructions, suggestions and warnings. Thanks in advance.
Mel Melton
'85 GTV6 (Old Red)
'86 GTV6 (New Red)
'84, '88 Spiders
Nicholas
Silver
Silver

Post by Nicholas »

I haven't removed mine from the booster but I have removed the booster when I fitted my CSC exhaust system.

The master cylinder is just held to the booster with the two 13mm nuts at the base of the master cylinder casting and the cylinder has the various brake feed lines running into it.

It should be a pretty simple job. You will be spending more time bleeding all the brakes through than swapping the cylinders.

I'd be interested in the outcome as my car is RHD and access to the back of the booster is pretty good.
Nick
GTV630
DOGFOOD
Silver
Silver

Post by DOGFOOD »

I just replaced the master cylinder and front brake hoses on my GTV6 yesterday evening. Just the two bolts hold the cylinder to the booster. Bleeding definitely is the most time consuming part of the replacement. It went pretty easy for me... Maybe Ill say that once I have road tested the brakes!! :D
mmelton
Silver
Silver

Post by mmelton »

Hey, Nick and Dogfood:

Thanks for the responses. Can't believe something on an Alfa is going to be this easy. Must mean there's a stripped fitting or a broken pipe in my future. Maybe not: I should be more optimistic.

I understand what you mean about the bleeding. Moved the front brakes from my old Milano to Old Red, and had Alfa Stan rebuild the calipers on New Red. Both times, bleeding took forever.

Nick, what's that CSC exhaust system and what do you find with it? How do you like it and why (if you've posted this info in the Exhaust section, just call me lazy and tell me to look).

Thanks again guys. I hope to have killer brakes again by Monday.
Mel Melton
'85 GTV6 (Old Red)
'86 GTV6 (New Red)
'84, '88 Spiders